Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 06:30 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Meh, all names are made up. I don't care if someone makes up their own name. I don't see why anyone would care, really.
Well, it makes for mindless entertainment on a long commuter train ride, for one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 07:17 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, it makes for mindless entertainment on a long commuter train ride, for one.
LOL! True, true!

Old 05-17-2012, 08:12 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Ok.

Henrietta is a nice name, lots of nick name choices.

Everyone will call her Hank.

My grandparents had names that will probably not be coming back soon, Clyde and Alta

Old 05-17-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I had a cute named picked for my daughter..and my Grandmother told me that if I named her that it was making her future to be living in a trailer park, dancing at "Cheetah's," for tips. Okay....so much for that....

I wonder how much a name really creates a destiny? Is it really a fate? How much does your name impact your life?

Employers discriminate against ethnic names: study | CTV British Columbia

One of our daughters has an unusual name. It is hard for most people to pronounce. It is more common in europe but she has never encountered an American with the same name and finds very few even on the internet. I think it is very likely that she is the only person in the US with that name. She likes it now at 20, but there were times when she didn't

She is an overachiever and constantly won awards of various kinds. We would go to awards dinners and if they got to first place and stared at the name card in frustration and said nothing, we would start cheering.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:26 AM

Myrtle will always evoke a memory of Moaning Myrtle form Harry Potter. She was a great charter and well acted.

I knew an Adelle in high school. We always called her "A smell" Not really being mean, I was trying to flirt with her, she was very pretty. Yes. High school guys do not know how to flirt.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:22 PM

3,273 posts, read 2,969,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have never in my life heard the name Declan until yesterday when I read it on this thread. How is it pronounced--I'm guessing "Decklin"?
I guess you don't watch the TV show Revenge? A boy is named that on there. Probably why it's starting to get popular.
ANd yes, it is pronounced Decklin.

My kids are grown and one is a Junior, which now DH and I wish we didn't do. The other one was named with not a popular name at the time, but over the years it became more popular, it is in the top 25.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:56 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiLover View Post
I guess you don't watch the TV show Revenge? A boy is named that on there. Probably why it's starting to get popular.
ANd yes, it is pronounced Decklin.

My kids are grown and one is a Junior, which now DH and I wish we didn't do. The other one was named with not a popular name at the time, but over the years it became more popular, it is in the top 25.
Lol, no, I haven't heard of that show. Not a big TV head, but there is one show I watch regularly now--first time in years I've had a favorite show!

I suspect I miss out on the trendy names that way. (Still not sure what a Kardashian is or why they are on TV and supermarket magazines.)

Old 05-18-2012, 01:58 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Robert is much more likely to be Rob than Bob nowadays, but Robert is going out of fashion, dropping in frequency almost every year for at least 15 years. Williams are usually Wills now, not Bills. Brenda's probably gone for good, and Margaret (way down there) is probably a Meg, not a Peg.

Olive is a perfectly fine name ... just ask Ms. Oyl.
One of my sons' middle name is Robert...just because I liked the name. And shoud we ever have another girl, Brenda is on the very top of my list.

Last edited by TheImportersWife; 05-18-2012 at 02:28 PM..

Old 05-18-2012, 07:14 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
My guess is Atticus comes from Atticus Finch. The heroic character in To Kill A Mockingbird. (Which I am currently re-reading. My, oh my, it's a truly wonderful book.)
There is a family in our town that has three kids named Atticus, Scout and Finch. I guess the parents love the book.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:16 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Everyone will call her Hank.

My grandparents had names that will probably not be coming back soon, Clyde and Alta
Most common nicknames for Henrietta are Hettie and Etta. Not Hank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting