Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 09:00 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times

Advertisements

I'm glad that he got to go home. Hopefully he can keep the weight off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 01:48 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
He should NEVER have been removed from his home to begin with...I agree with the American Civil Liberties Union on that one....had the gov been REALLY concerned for the boys health, they could have had a nutritionist and councilor attend the home more often and help the parents to learn how to properly help their son lose weight...instead...they 'STOLE" him away...the poor kids probably afraid to eat now...lessin he gets STOLEN away again.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:11 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,146 times
Maybe he lost all that weight because he was so depressed about being taken from his mom.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:36 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
He should NEVER have been removed from his home to begin with...I agree with the American Civil Liberties Union on that one....had the gov been REALLY concerned for the boys health, they could have had a nutritionist and councilor attend the home more often and help the parents to learn how to properly help their son lose weight...instead...they 'STOLE" him away...the poor kids probably afraid to eat now...lessin he gets STOLEN away again.
I have to agree with this. Even if a 16 year old was smoking, I wouldn't think they should be removed from the parents. It's to controlling for me to be comfortable. I just think they should have stepped in and aid the family as a whole, that I'd support but a lot of kids get abused in foster care, it's not a safe alternative for the child. It's a last effort when the parents are not responding to intervention.

I do think they could do a better job of visiting and engaging the family in rehab, whatever the situation is. They don't do enough ground work for me.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:41 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
It's a last effort when the parents are not responding to intervention.

My recollection is that that was exactly the case, the parents were not responding to intervention.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:36 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
They had been working with the mom for a year. How long should they have worked with her before they remove the child?

Old 05-16-2012, 12:15 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
They had been working with the mom for a year. How long should they have worked with her before they remove the child?
If they'd been "working" with the mom for over a year...seems to me they didn't know what they were doing...or they were lousy at it....removing the child should not have been an option....do we remove kids from parents who smoke in the house?

Old 05-16-2012, 12:19 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I think they should have done more while the child was still in his mother's care such as hiring a personal trainer and a nutritionist to come to the home, go through the pantry, take the mom grocery shopping, show her what to buy and provide recipes, etc. This might sound expensive but it's got to be cheaper then foster care. Removing a child from his mother should be an absolute last resort and I don't believe the state did everything they could have done prior to his removal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting