Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 04:36 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times

Advertisements

Haven't read a lot of this thread, but this should not be treated as a joke, or something which can be shrugged off. The son needs to look them squarely in the eyes and tell them to leave him alone from now on. No jokes, no displays of manhood. If it doesn't end, or if in the time between then and the end of school it doesn't, the parents need a talk with the principal.

My son didn't live with me, but with family. But we had a close relationship and was going to a really good school with his aunt and uncle. Then, he stated staying home from school, not doing homework, and his grades crashed. Then he quit high school in his senior year. He wouldn't say why. A converted Mormon, he went on his mission and started to get his head straight with the responsibility. He told me and his dad's family that it was because he was bullied so much. He didn't want to be there. He didn't say because he didn't think the school would do anything. I'm sure his aunt would have raised the roof, but he didn't think it would help.

From what some would call pranks, he will end up with a g.e.d.

If this happens every again to the OP's son, or other bullying, mom and dad need to be in the principles office and demand the school take action to stop it, not just for their son but for all the other kids. When kids walk on school property the school takes the responsibilty of keeping them safe from other students, and this needs to include awareness and action. Parents also have to be there for their kid, and willing to listen and be trusted to be told. The kid needs to know they stand up for them.

It's good the suspension happened, but if he's not left alone more action needs to follow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 05:06 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Gotta protect little precious from sad feelings and boo-boo's.
Because after all when you grow up everyone is nice, no one is mean to each other and everything is fair.
I think the OP's son handled things well, as did the OP, who took her cue from her child.

I also think the school let the "prankster" off too easily in light of how many more minor infractions have been dealt with.

I wonder what the outcome would have been for the OP's son if he had hauled off and belted the other kid. Too bad we won't ever know.

Last edited by JustJulia; 05-26-2012 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: deleted personal comment

Old 05-26-2012, 05:09 PM

102 posts, read 312,291 times
That's horrible. I'm very sorry to hear that this has happened to your son. There are two good things in his favor. First, the summer is about to begin, and second, something more outrageous will happen. During high school, someone became the object of attention (they had an STD, they had been caught having sex in the parking lot, they had drugs on campus, etc) and they were talked about for a few days. Within days, something more extreme had happened to someone else, and all the attention (and gossip) shifted to the new person. No one was ever in the spotlight long (unless they were pregnant).

By the time he comes back after the summer, so much will have happened that most people won't even mention it. In the world of middle and high school, old news is bad news, and everyone wants a new juicy story. One of the students will invariably do something stupid during the summer, and they will be all the talk when the school year starts back.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:12 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,848,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I think the OP's son handled things well, as did the OP, who took her cue from her child.

I also think the school let the "prankster" off too easily in light of how many more minor infractions have been dealt with.

I wonder what the outcome would have been for the OP's son if he had hauled off and belted the other kid. Too bad we won't ever know.
Almost certainly suspension. Probably for longer than the one who pulled down his pants.

Last edited by JustJulia; 05-26-2012 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: removed reference to deleted comment

Old 05-26-2012, 05:31 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:

How do you know how this school dealt with other infractions??

Last edited by JustJulia; 05-26-2012 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: removed reference to deleted comment

Old 05-26-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
Almost certainly suspension. Probably for longer than the one who pulled down his pants.
Doubt it.

Around here (and every school I have taught at) day or two at most of ISS is the norm for a fight instigated by another. Especially in middle school.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:44 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
Based on my experience:

The OP's son would've gotten detention and the other kid would've gotten even less "punishment" than a two day suspension.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:14 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
How do you know how this school dealt with other infractions??
I'm not referring to this school, just middle schools in general that I have had experience with.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
I'm not referring to this school, just middle schools in general that I have had experience with.
Well the OP is from around here. Most NJ schools (aside from the Abbott districts) treat most discipline situations similarly.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:56 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
So I take it you agree that the roommate trying to humiliate his roommate was just another "boys will be boys" kind of silly prank. Anything goes as long as you can write it off to a boys will be boys.
No. That is not what I think at all. I think he was a world class .... I can't say the word. But I was not speaking to the perpetrator. I was speaking to the reaction of the victim and what the parents of the victim might do with this opportunity.

Quote:
It can be a teachable moment. You want to teach the victims that they must suck it up and tolerate abuse, but I believe the bully needs to be taught right and wrong. Keep in mind the victim didn't assault anyone, didn't bully anyone, didn't do anything wrong -- so why is he the one that must be taught a harsh lesson?
Well that is really interesting. What DO we teach these victims? That they need to let some authority rescue them? That they haven't the strength to overcome? By the time you are a victim, prevention is by the board. Too late. And yes, I think the correct response to this one is to choose to view it as powerless. Thus relieving it of the power to hurt.

Quote:
And this "everyone does it" is also no excuse.
Well you sure as hell did not get that from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting