Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 08:17 PM

970 posts, read 2,212,487 times

Advertisements

It's a conversation starter, and 30 seconds later the person probably won't even remember what you answered. You could just say you are a sahm, or you could say "even when I am off there are always errands to run" and avoid the answer completely. You could also tell them you wrestle elephants for a living while jumping through burning hoops on a motorcycle and they would simply laugh and move on.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:30 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
The "line" is going to vary from family to family. Obviously "you" don't get to draw the line for "me."
Maybe you should read the other posts where I repeatedly said that people should do whatever they want to do if they are financially able to do so.

Nor did I ever say I get to draw the line, and I repeatedly stated I am not even sure where exactly that line is.

I love when people just respond to what they want to hear instead of what was actually stated.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Who says being a SAHM is about housekeeping?
I don't think it is. But the people who are claiming SAHM of teenagers is a fulltime job give a list of chores as what take the 40 hours a week the teenagers are out of their direct care.

I think parenting, especially of teenagers, is about far more than doing their laundry. Again, though, that supports the idea that if you are staying at home while teenagers are at school, it isnt the parenting that is the full time job.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
I could draw a line at pretty much any job and say that it's not really a full time job based on any set of circumstances that I decide to come up with. For example, I've had office jobs that were painfully boring because there was not enough work to keep busy and I've also worked at restaurants where I barely had a moment to pee. So based on my experiences I could surmise that a 40 hour per week office job isn't really a full time job but a 40 hour a week restaurant job is. Sound logical? Not really, huh.
I do not understand your point in the slightest. Are you equating SAH parenting of teenagers to the painfully boring job or the one where you do not get to pee?

Anyway, a full time job in this country is typically defined as a 40 hour work week. Any SAH parent known that parenting preschoolers is far more than a full work week. But most teenagers are not even home to need SAH parents (aside from sleeping) for 40 hours during the school week. That isn't opinion, that is plain old fact.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Yes, absolutely I make my elementary age kids do tons of chores. But what does that have to do with being a stay at home mom?
The only thing it has to do with is certain posters (and I am not saying necessarily you) have given a list, that includes lots of chores being done by the SAH parent, as the reason they stay home while their teenagers are at school and after school activities.

They can stay home for any reason they want as long as their families are financially stable but it is not a full time job to take care of a teenager. That is simple math. Most of them are not physically home during the day.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:42 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Maybe you should read the other posts where I repeatedly said that people should do whatever they want to do if they are financially able to do so.

Nor did I ever say I get to draw the line, and I repeatedly stated I am not even sure where exactly that line is.

I love when people just respond to what they want to hear instead of what was actually stated.
who got your panties in a bunch this evening?

then why even say there has to be a "line?" Obviously couples evaluate the options. They consider how much money could be made vs the kid's activities, volunteering, whatever else mom gets done during the day that means she doesn't have to do it over the weekend, and they make a decision. Why does this even need to be discussed? families decide for themselves what they want to do. You call yours a line if you want to.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
Funny, I actually sat down and watched a documentary on HBO the other afternoon because I hurt my back and needed to lay down. I can honestly say that it may be the first adult tv I've ever watched during the day.

I do get pedicures occasionally though and I do go out to dinner with my spouse and friends often.
I am sorry you hurt your back.

And you are certainly entitled to spend your time doing nice things with your family and your spouse. No one is claiming otherwise. My grandmother is retired, no one would claim she shouldn't get to spend her time how she likes. Spending your time in the way that you like has nothing to do with employment status.

Personally, I only let my daughter do my nails but that is another story.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
who got your panties in a bunch this evening?
I think there is a bit of the pot there.

Anyway, no one likes to have their words deliberately twisted.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:47 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
I don't get the question alot, but I do have my kids with me most of the time. I do fill weird putting SAHM down on applications/info sheets (i.e. doctors), but that is my own little tic.

As far as the teen vs. child debate, if it worth anything, I have found that my teen requires less supervision and a little less work, but requires more emotional energy from me. I have a 5, 9, and 16 year old. The 16 year came to us a year and a half ago, so the side-by-side comparison was direct. But really, the parenting work and challenges depend on each child and each family. One child could be a nightmare to parent at one age and amazingly easy at another. Then add in more kids and different family situations during different ages...well... lets just call parenting hard altogether.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:49 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I am sorry you hurt your back.

And you are certainly entitled to spend your time doing nice things with your family and your spouse. No one is claiming otherwise. My grandmother is retired, no one would claim she shouldn't get to spend her time how she likes. Spending your time in the way that you like has nothing to do with employment status.

Personally, I only let my daughter do my nails but that is another story.
In her defense, I think she was responding somewhat in response to my post above...
I said what I do do all day as a SAHM and also what I do not do , such as; get manis or pedis, I do not go out to dinners w/my husband alone ,etc..

I had said I made sacrifices to be a SAHM ......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting