Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 07:31 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,249,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
What IS prom about anyway? It seems like the stupidest tradition ever to me.
I agree as i skipped the prom itself and just went to the parties. Am not the worlds finest dancer at all .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 07:38 AM

18,408 posts, read 31,532,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
What IS prom about anyway? It seems like the stupidest tradition ever to me.

I agree. I think it is a big added expense a lot of parents can do without. It also makes some kids fell bad if they do not have a lot of friends and have no one to go with, or the shy kids that are afraid to ask anyone.

Then we have the pressure, (from reading here), like it is almost mandatory that they have sex after prom. Which makes me wonder, where is it they are doing the deed? Do they rent a hotel, backseat, behind a dumpster????.....help me out on this one

So here were are giving condons away at school, might as well, throw in a pack of cigarettes and a beer for afterglow, and maybe an extasy tab so they can dance the night away....after they ^%^&&^&*&

Old 05-25-2012, 07:44 AM

770 posts, read 1,175,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I think it's rather sad that Prom has now become synonymous with getting overly drunk and having sex.
It hasn't. I think this is being made a bigger deal than it actually is because I've never known anyone who has ever done this. The only time I have ever heard of the "losing virginity after prom" thing is in 80s teen movies and tv shows. People don't still actually do that. I'd think if you ask most kids about it today they'd say it's extremely corny.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I don't see the issue really. I never believed that simply handing a teen a condom would serve as a catalyst to sex.
It doesn't but you still have that belief set in more conservative circles that it does *think of Tennessee's recent rules on sex ed*.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:32 AM

30,707 posts, read 79,581,771 times
I guess our school is pretty different that many others. At prom man groups of kids just go with friends, not dates. Sometimes a car full of girls or guys will go, sometimes "just friends" go together in equal numbers of each gender, but it is not a date. One of my daughters went to prom with a gay friend.

One year some group came and handed out hundreds of condoms. Preety much all of them were inflated and batted around the dance floor while dancing. Cleaning up 150 inflated condoms created a problem so the group was asked not to do that again.

Sure some kids traipse off to a hotel after prom, certainly not all, not even a majority. Most of those kids has sex the day before or after as well. Those kids already have plenty of brith control. More popular is to come back to the island and have a bonfire party. A huge number of the kids in the graduating class are pretty innocent. It is not like the 1980s. Lots of kids graduate having never had alcohol, sex, pot, or a fight. I guess they are deprived.

If they are giving away condoms, shouldn't they also provide clean safe rooms maybe some counselers or instruction books? The woudl ensure they do nto get hurt sneaking off to some sleezy cheap hotel, or ducking behind a dumpster, also make sure they get it right. Maybe they can just schedule each couple for fifteen minutes in one of the rooms as soon as they arrive. (My daughter could have played solitare with her "date" for 15 minutes, maybe they could figure out how to make baloon aniumals out of the condoms).

Old 05-25-2012, 09:06 AM

88,292 posts, read 84,292,537 times
I didn't go to my prom back in the 70's--at that time, people didn't go in a group, and a girl got to go only if a boy asked her. (And there was a "the" before the word "prom".)

When my daughter went, it was different. Anyone who wanted to go could go, whether they had a date or not. Buses picked up the kids at the school and brought them back after the prom. Here in NJ, the tradition is to go down the shore after the prom, and kids get hotel rooms and drink and do whatever. My daughter and her boyfriend were geeks who didn't drink, so they went to Boston for the weekend and saw that city and took in a performance of the Boston Pops. LOL.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:19 AM

458 posts, read 610,249 times
Let the teens buy their own darn condoms! You grown enough to have sex be responsible enough to protect yourself. What next? provide cigars for blunt rolling?

don't ask

Old 05-25-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell-the-Truth View Post
Let the teens buy their own darn condoms! You grown enough to have sex be responsible enough to protect yourself. What next? provide cigars for blunt rolling?

don't ask
Yes, but that doesn't stop immature people from engaging in risky sex. Since the product of risky sex is the burden of society, paying for easy access to bc of some sort is the lesser evil.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:34 AM

458 posts, read 610,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Yes, but that doesn't stop immature people from engaging in risky sex. Since the product of risky sex is the burden of society, paying for easy access to bc of some sort is the lesser evil.

There's no excuse for that in today's world. Condoms don't cost much and if teens are engaging in risky sex, who provides condoms for the days and nights of sex not associated with prom? There should be nothing easy about kids having sex. And I'm personally not the one to provide such access.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell-the-Truth View Post
There's no excuse for that in today's world. Condoms don't cost much and if teens are engaging in risky sex, who provides condoms for the days and nights of sex not associated with prom? There should be nothing easy about kids having sex. And I'm personally not the one to provide such access.
So you aren't bothered about the fact your taxes pay for that? And my parents provided them within the house actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting