Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 02:56 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,382,702 times

Advertisements

Teach? No one even spoke to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 07:51 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times
I don't get why people have so much trouble with cleaning....
It's not that hard.

Is it the actually getting it done part or the they just don't know how to do anything part?

Bottles of cleaner come with directions and pictures.
Washing machines and dish washer are pretty much self explanatory.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:44 AM

777 posts, read 1,336,124 times
I left home (with my mom) and moved in with my ex-stepfather at 18, whom still expected me to pay rent and all. My stepfather was really adamant on making sure my brother and I had basic survival skills, so he slowly taught us stuff. Even as I was nearing the age of moving out on my own, my stepfather was buying me household supplies for when I move out, for 2 years, on my Birthdays and Christmas. Although living with him for about a year helped me grasp the concept of paying rent and understanding making enough income to pay that, my mom also got me a credit card at 16 (no idea why), and THAT taught me a lot about personal finance over the last 10 years. I always paid it in full when I used it, until I moved out of town completely, around 20, and using the card got out of hand. To the point, that until I turned 23, that card was used to pay rent and other bills since I couldn't find a job. I still, never had a late payment in my life and managed the minimum payments, and paying all mandatory bills, but it did take me after 23 to realize I had to pay that off and get rid of it.

So, I'd say my survival skills were pretty good. However, my husbands survival skills... completely weak. Married to him for 4 years now, and it's really obvious he was never taught to clean up after himself, how to pay bills, use time wisely, and so on. And without me, he'd be living in a shack until his 30's, or found someone else to do all that for him. Meh. This should be a standard parenting MUST, teaching basic survival skills.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:39 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,082,946 times
My father worked hard outside the home, and I was raised by my Stepmother.
I was never allowed in the kitchen while dinner was being cooked.
I was never let in on how much money my father made, or how much the bills were....so when I went out into the world, I had no idea how to cook, or what the value of a dollar was.
I had to learn everything the hard way....but I did learn...no thanks to my "parents."

Old 06-03-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
My father worked hard outside the home, and I was raised by my Stepmother.
I was never allowed in the kitchen while dinner was being cooked.
I was never let in on how much money my father made, or how much the bills were....so when I went out into the world, I had no idea how to cook, or what the value of a dollar was.
I had to learn everything the hard way....but I did learn...no thanks to my "parents."
It's almost better to learn on your own, you don't pick up your parents crappy habits.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:27 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
It's almost better to learn on your own, you don't pick up your parents crappy habits.
Ahhh... But some parents are actually very GOOD at what they do. Learning from them can be a lesson from a master craftsman.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:35 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I don't get why people have so much trouble with cleaning....
It's not that hard.

Is it the actually getting it done part or the they just don't know how to do anything part?

Bottles of cleaner come with directions and pictures.
Washing machines and dish washer are pretty much self explanatory.

Just because one can operate a vacuum or squirt something out of a bottle does not mean the same thing as knowing how to clean. The directions on how to work a vacuum do not tell you that you should move the furniture (at least periodically) or remove the cushions from said furniture or that you still have to vacuum stairs, even though they are a PITA. The instructions on the toilet bowl cleaner don't tell a person that it takes more than swishing the bowl itself to actually clean the toilet. If a person doesn't grow up in either a clean house, or with someone else always doing it, they may not realize what is really involved.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Just because one can operate a vacuum or squirt something out of a bottle does not mean the same thing as knowing how to clean. The directions on how to work a vacuum do not tell you that you should move the furniture (at least periodically) or remove the cushions from said furniture or that you still have to vacuum stairs, even though they are a PITA. The instructions on the toilet bowl cleaner don't tell a person that it takes more than swishing the bowl itself to actually clean the toilet. If a person doesn't grow up in either a clean house, or with someone else always doing it, they may not realize what is really involved.
I don't even remember being taught ANY of that yet its not rocket science to see that your half asses toilet brush skills aren't getting anything off and use deductive reasoning and think scrub harder.

And its not rocket science that unless you vacuum under something its not going clean itself.

This stuff just seems like common sense, like it really just comes pre programmed.
Natural instinct.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:46 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
And then there's all the stuff that no bottle or spray will tell you:
  • Change the filters on your A/C and furnace periodically to improve your indoor air quality
  • Your refrigerator coils should be vacuumed periodically so they are energy efficient
  • Beyond cleaning the dryer lint trap, cleaning out the dryer hose (connected to the outdoors) is important
New homeowners learn a lot of this stuff as they go. Keeping on top of long-term home maintenance will save you money, not just in lower energy bills but avoiding major surprises when an appliance conks out. My dad taught me a lot about taking care of my car ... I wish he and my mom had taught me more about taking care of my house.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:49 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
I don't even remember being taught ANY of that yet its not rocket science to see that your half asses toilet brush skills aren't getting anything off and use deductive reasoning and think scrub harder. I was thinking of the rest of the toilet....lots of younger kids don't realize you actually need to clean the whole thing. Not just the bowl. And wipe the handle too. Ew.

And its not rocket science that unless you vacuum under something its not going clean itself.

This stuff just seems like common sense, like it really just comes pre programmed.
Natural instinct.
You'd be surprised at what may seem to be common sense to some people isn't to others. I see that frequently for all kinds of stuff. Not just cleaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting