Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Do YOU FEEL About Your Parent(s)?
Love Dad, Detest Mom 16 8.79%
Love Mom, Detest Dad 10 5.49%
Love Mom, Love Dad 94 51.65%
Detest Mom, Detest Dad 7 3.85%
Only have Mom, Love Her 17 9.34%
Only have Mom, Detest her 6 3.30%
Only have Dad, Love Him 6 3.30%
Only have Dad, Detest Him 3 1.65%
Other - Explain in comments 23 12.64%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 10:18 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times

Advertisements

My parents are perfect. Not that they are rich but they are the most loving, supportive, mild mannered, giving people I ever met. There is absolutely no expectations from them for my sister and I to act and live a certain way. They let us live our life the way we wish. There has never been any guilt trips, only support. I could never ask for better and more perfect parents. They are true role models.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 05:39 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Love mom who is still alive. Respect my dead dad as my father, but absolutely despise him at times for some of the things he put me through and generally loving his alcohol more than me at times.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:12 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Wow im sorry buddy....... I feel your dad had a drinking problem he couldnt get a grip on...... (Im sure he didnt mean to be that way to you) -- Try not to hold bad thoughts too much about him......

Old 09-07-2013, 01:27 PM

322 posts, read 584,759 times
My mom died when I was 12, but I was a total mama's boy before she died. After she died, it came to light that my dad had a whole other family with 4 other kids. He completely abandoned me and my older sister after my mom died. Needless to say, I haven't spoken to my father since March 2002.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:45 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRolle View Post
My mom died when I was 12, but I was a total mama's boy before she died. After she died, it came to light that my dad had a whole other family with 4 other kids. He completely abandoned me and my older sister after my mom died. Needless to say, I haven't spoken to my father since March 2002.
I'm sorry to hear that. Who took care of you after she died?
Don't you want to confront your father someday and give him a piece of your mind?

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 08-30-2014, 11:32 AM

324 posts, read 294,445 times
Absolutely love my mum, can't even imagine how it will be like to live without her one day. She has dedicated all her life to us.

My father is a narcissist who can't possibly do good to anyone and the type of person who should have never had kids.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:22 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Im sorry to hear that about your dad buddy

Old 08-30-2014, 05:55 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times
I had a screwed up childhood as a kid, did not have much of a quality family life, I got stuck with all the chores, mowing grass, shoveling snow, anything that needed to be done around the house. My brother never did anything he was spoiled. My dad was like Col. Frank Fitts from American Beauty and my mom was like Carolyn Burnham, very materialistic, had to have the best of everything and one up family and friends. I was expected to keep the yard perfect, the cars had to look new and the house had to be perfectly clean at all times, how others perceived my parents was very important to them.

Now because of this I had completely different priorities when I had my daughter, I made sure she had a childhood and she knew her parents cared about her and I never placed unrealistic expectations of perfection on her. I let her have pets and have her friends over and never put money and things ahead of her.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:35 PM

52,263 posts, read 52,686,640 times
My mom is gone my dad lives out of state. I have no brothers or sisters. My dad just lost his wife, my stepmom, a couple of months ago.

He's really needy for me now... I'm trying to be there for him... it's tough.... my life with him growing up can best be summarized by Harry Chapin.

It's taking a certain level of maturity that I didn't have in my 20's and 30's to be able to interact with my father now. I never had a great relationship with him, wasn't bad.. but we're just different people, nothing in common.

I wouldn't hang out with him socially.......

He wasn't around nearly as much as a normal father should have been.. I'm not upset about it any more, just indifferent and indifference is bad...............

So... seeing my dad is work.... I wouldn't hardly qualify it as affection...

That being said... I do have moments where I truly feel bad for him so I don't know... I was at lunch a couple of days ago and it really hit me... his wife is gone... gone forever and never ever coming back.. I thought about losing Mrs. chow and how I would feel. I got upset and really felt bad for him. I was sitting in my car at lunch eating and thought about calling him and just laying it and opening myself up and letting him know that I love him and felt terrible about his situation.

I couldn't do it. I feel a little bad about it, but he created this and I'm trying the best I can to not throw it in his face.... life is a mother f er at times. This being one of those times.

Long answer for a short question.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:51 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,842 times
Love mom. Dad has my number and I his. We talked right before my wedding night on the phone. I haven't seen him in ten years. He stopped talking to me around ten years old and I didn't call him so our relationship dissolved. Mind you we live in the same town. He is a hermit according to my brother who talks to him more than I and sees him infrequently.

If I wanted I could see him but what would that do for either of us? I love him and he loves me and says he prays for me everyday. Idk what seeing him would help. Thought about it many times but just don't see the practicality in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships