Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 06:21 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Or maybe the teacher should take some time out of her day, and either a.) sit the child down after school and help her. Or b.) drive to the girls home and talk to mother about it. It's as much a failure of the teacher in this case as it is the student.
We don't know that she didn't send notes, or made phone calls. We do know however, that the child was sent home with homework, the child said she did it, but didn't do it and her parent (s) didn't supervise her homework or they would have known.

My friend has a 5th grader that wasn't doing homework. Mom would ask, dd would say she didn't have any. Teacher called and said dd was 19 assignments behind on homework. Daughter was leaving it in her desk at school. Teacher sent home said assignments and daughter did them all weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 06:34 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Well, we do have a picture of the award, which reads in the teacher's handwriting, minus a conspiracy theory, "most excuses for not having homework". Signed and dated. Doesn't scream 'teacher of the year' to me. And it doesn't matter to me if it was supposed to be a joke or if every student got a negative award, etc.
All we have is the mother's story and a picture of the card.

Sorry. On this one I'm not passing judgement on the teacher or the school until all sides of the story are known.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:53 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,043,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Or maybe the teacher should take some time out of her day, and either a.) sit the child down after school and help her. Or b.) drive to the girls home and talk to mother about it. It's as much a failure of the teacher in this case as it is the student.

The teacher should spend her time after work doing the parents job? They should go to the child's house if the idiot parent fails to respond to letters and phone calls? Wtf? Why don't parents drop their kids off at the start of kindergarten and pick them up sometime after H.S graduation since we now expect teachers to raise our children before and after school hours.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:13 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
So it's and excuse the child failed to turn in her work as well one excuse her parents failedto keep tabs on said child academics.
Que?

Quote:
You failed to realized teacher are not 100% to blame for child's lack of participation,homework, or awareness of importance with education. Would you rather she shake the childs hand for lack of participation and give a Gold star for "The possibilty to be a good student if completed homework". Darn Teachers!!
I'd rather the child get what she earned. No award and/or a failing grade (if it was that bad). I don't think she deserved public disgrace for not doing all of her homework. And I don't think it sets a good example for the other children, pointing out her failings in front of the class.

Also, I never said or implied that the teacher was 100% to blame for the child's lack of participation, homework, or awareness of how important an education is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
All we have is the mother's story and a picture of the card.

Sorry. On this one I'm not passing judgement on the teacher or the school until all sides of the story are known.
Understood, and that's fine. You don't see a problem with the "award" in and of itself, irrespective of what was intended. I do.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Understood, and that's fine. You don't see a problem with the "award" in and of itself, irrespective of what was intended. I do.
You're projecting. I never said how I feel about the "award" one way or another.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:23 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You're projecting. I never said how I feel about the "award" one way or another.
Well, correct me then.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Well, correct me then.
I honestly don't have an opinion on the note. I have too many questions including wanting to know what the teacher's motivation was. And why did the note mention "stories"?

(Horrible job of reporting on the original story.)

Old 05-29-2012, 09:52 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I find it odd that we send our kids to a school, which in definition is Definition of SCHOOL

: an organization that provides instruction: as
a : an institution for the teaching of children

When they don't learn we simply say don't blame the institution, blame the parents or child you send here.

In no other business would we tolerate this as an excuse but school. The kid spends 8 hours a day or more at the institution.
But in no other business do we expect a 100% success rate either, regardless of the effort applied by the individual.

If you send your child to a dance class and he/she refuses to practice, laughs at the teacher, and purposely steps of his or her's partner's toes, they'll end up getting tossed out. Maybe you'll get a refund or maybe not, depending on the contract that was signed at the start of the classes. And few (expect very likely the parent) would say the teacher failed.

Maybe this teacher could have done more. There isn't enough information to know. But there are three people involved in a child's education (the teacher, the parent, and the child), and all three of them have to put in effort.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:46 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
So it's and excuse the child failed to turn in her work as well one excuse her parents failedto keep tabs on said child academics. You failed to realized teacher are not 100% to blame for child's lack of participation,homework, or awareness of importance with education. Would you rather she shake the childs hand for lack of participation and give a Gold star for "The possibilty to be a good student if completed homework". Darn Teachers!!
Are you all actually saying this was the right way to teach this child to do her homework? That this was a good method? Humiliation is what's to be expected if an eight year old kid doesn't do her homework? This is what should be expected now from teachers, child roasts at the end of the year?

Plenty of teachers communicate better than this. It can be done. I teach and I would never do this. It's not effective, and it goes against all the work schools are doing right now to curb bullying. You don't make fun of people, you just don't. It's not funny to all, nor should it be required to be.

If I walked outside a classroom to hear a bunch of kids roasting a child for something I would stop it. Not encourage the child to buck up, brush it off and take it for it was true, she was whatever they were calling her, I would not tell her it was her fault in the first place.

Not all teachers agree with this method. Don't lump us all in there. Teachers are people, some are jerks and some aren't. Some apply sarcasm as a tool some don't. I don't, I wouldn't and I don't blame that mom for being upset. Not all people think an 8 year old needs to man up. It's a little early for that speech, she might not understand it yet. Things should be age appropriate.

Most people will probably side with the teacher in the fact that they see the kids actions and her moms as whining, this is why bullying is so hard to stop or control. Parents pass this on, accept it, and make light of it. They encourage the kids to be quiet, not talk about being hurt by it and move on instead of saying, hey, this hurts me, stop it, it's not funny to me. That's personal space.

It doesn't matter what you are doing, if it hurts someone you should stop it. Not prove it shouldn't hurt, or call someone a baby because it does. Just stop. If a parent said, when you do this it's hurtful I would stop and express that I was sorry. I wouldn't argue that it shouldn't, or that it was my honest opinion of her kid and she should get over it. Why would I insist on doing something that hurt someone? There are plenty of other options to take in this case. It wasn't a must do by any means.

I don't think it was a good message for kids that young. Laughing together is a good thing, but not at each other. Wrong message, especially right now. Kids that age don't know when to stop, or what they should do socially. They mimic and I hope they don't mimic that on the play ground.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:57 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
But in no other business do we expect a 100% success rate either, regardless of the effort applied by the individual.

If you send your child to a dance class and he/she refuses to practice, laughs at the teacher, and purposely steps of his or her's partner's toes, they'll end up getting tossed out. Maybe you'll get a refund or maybe not, depending on the contract that was signed at the start of the classes. And few (expect very likely the parent) would say the teacher failed.

Maybe this teacher could have done more. There isn't enough information to know. But there are three people involved in a child's education (the teacher, the parent, and the child), and all three of them have to put in effort.
I'm not disagreeing with this. I am just saying that I would expect it to be part of the instruction, and I wouldn't expect nor agree to a making fun of my daughter party if she didn't, I would expect her not to pass on to the next level until she accomplished what was expected to do so.
It seems this has turned into a "did the teacher fail the child in the classroom by not teaching her enough" but the issue is "did the child deserve to be made fun of by the teacher for not doing enough homework?" I don't think so, I think there are other ways of dealing with it that are better than that. If that's the only trick up her sleeve then she better get to writing more of those awards because she is likely to be passing out a lot of them in the years to come. She will have a lot of students and parents to blame and make fun of in the future, IMO.

I too wish there was more to this story. But, the issue we are discussing on here is the same, either way. Would this be ok with you for your child? Yes, or no. For me no, no it would not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting