Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 04:54 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
That child wore the shirt to intentionally disrupt the educational process and offend others.
This brings up a point that my husband and I often discuss. What right do we perceive we have to be protected from being offended at the opinions of others? So. Be offended. Or not.

Political speech is important. Even if it offends people. I WISH that what Jesus is or was or said, what the bible might say was not part of our public policy discourse. But alas, it is. I think that squelching political expression in the name of not offending is a giant mistake.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:14 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Is it not documented that several of the "founding fathers" were, themselves, atheists?

My husband is going nuts this political season with what he views as a large upsurge in christianifying of this country. Yes I love making words. It does not seem an upsurge to me. They seem to come out every time a democrat is in the White House. Even a conservative one.
I think it's more of a death cry than anything less. Religion plays less a major day to day part of life as it did 30 years ago. And as each new generation gains maturity it recedes further from importance.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I think it's more of a death cry than anything less. Religion plays less a major day to day part of life as it did 30 years ago. And as each new generation gains maturity it recedes further from importance.
My personal bias is to hope that that trend continues.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:24 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
My personal bias is to hope that that trend continues.
It will because my generation is more liberal in their religious views. I think within 10-15 years when they enter the voting scene the ultra religious evangelical lobby in politics will be reduced to a handful of deep conservative states.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:23 PM

970 posts, read 2,213,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
That child wore the shirt to intentionally disrupt the educational process and offend others. That was his plan.
The article doesn't say anything about the t-shirt being a disruption, nor was that the reason cited for action on the part of the school.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:51 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
Is it not documented that several of the "founding fathers" were, themselves, atheists?
No, though many of the founding fathers were probably Deists, that is not the same as being athiest or agnostic.

Many were Christian, but even those were not evangelicals or fundamentalists like the right wing today.

Even the Christians among the founders wanted to keep church and state separate because they understood that many different forms of Christianity needed that separation. If the country tried to establish one particular kind of Christianity, all the others would have their freedoms trampled.

Quote:
It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself. (Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782; from George Seldes, ed., The Great Quotations, Secaucus, New Jersey: Citadel Press, 1983, p. 363)
Quote:
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All separated from government, are compatible with liberty. (Henry Clay, 1777-1852, Speech in the House of Representatives, March 24, 1818. From Daniel B. Baker, ed., Political Quotations, Detroit: Gale Research, Inc., 1990, p. 190.)
Quote:
Civil liberty can be established on no foundation of human reason which will not at the same time demonstrate the right to religious freedom. (John Quincy Adams, 6th U.S. President [1825-1829], letter to Richard Anderson, May 27, 1823. From Daniel B. Baker, ed., Political Quotations, Detroit: Gale Research, Inc., 1990, p. 190.)
More here:
Quotations that Support the Separation of State and Church

Old 06-01-2012, 12:31 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,173,928 times
While I find nothing wrong with the message I would not allow my son to wear this tshirt because he may get in trouble.
I have told him before that he may hold our beliefs to heart when he is in public but not in school and he asked.."Why?" "There are prop 8 signs everywhere saying being gay and married is wrong?" "Sayings like..you cannot be progay and catholic at the same time" I stated this was a secular belief and not the views held by the masses but while on school grounds he must adhere to policy.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:04 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I say good for him.

I like young people who aren't afraid to take a stand. (That's a very small town so he wasn't exactly anonymous.) I'm also happy that the 1st Amendment continues to be a vital part of our life.
I agree....I think students taking a stand is always a good thing. Let's not forget what country we live in. School isn't prison.

I don't have a problem with the t-shirt and I'm not religious. It's a valuable lesson for kids to learn free speech. I don't want mine taken away, they will be adults one day. If a school policy is something he disagrees with then he has a right to try and change it.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:54 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Okay I have to chime in on this one . I have a standard and it is okay to have standards and all my kids have morals and standards and I am very proud to have raised them this way . I am a follower of Jesus Christ and it does say certain things in the bible about being homosexual . I for one am glad that christianity is on the upsurge as one poster stated earlier . When people use the term or phrase no religious items for me please ,. I so often wonder what are you afraid of ? I am a christian and proud of it and I would gladly let all my children wear a shirt to school that said that and if they got suspended , you had better believe there would be some words spoken . Yep if he can wear a shirt that supports being gay then I can wear my crucifix and my proud to be a follower of Jesus shirt . Just my opinion .

Old 06-01-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
No, though many of the founding fathers were probably Deists, that is not the same as being athiest or agnostic.

Many were Christian, but even those were not evangelicals or fundamentalists like the right wing today.

Even the Christians among the founders wanted to keep church and state separate because they understood that many different forms of Christianity needed that separation. If the country tried to establish one particular kind of Christianity, all the others would have their freedoms trampled.

More here:
Quotations that Support the Separation of State and Church
Huh. You learn something new every day. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting