Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 06:54 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

people are finding it necessary to remove tattoos if they want a job. If they just didn't get them in the first place they wouldn't have to go to the expense and pain of removal.

Tattoo Removal Booms in Slow Job Market - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 07:14 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
I went with an 18-year-old very close to me (though not my own child) to get a tattoo. She got a very simple design on her inner wrist, where a watch or bracelet could cover it. It's an important consideration to keep in mind... I'm not against young adults (or anyone!) getting a tattoo for self-expression purposes, but you do have to think about how your art might affect your future, and how you can cover said tattoo if necessary.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:00 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
It's an important consideration to keep in mind... I'm not against young adults (or anyone!) getting a tattoo for self-expression purposes, but you do have to think about how your art might affect your future, and how you can cover said tattoo if necessary.
Exactly.

I know many people who have tattoos and are also highly educated and fairly high up the corporate ladder. However, when they have a suit on, you would never know they had ink unless they told you.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:17 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,678,851 times
I have 6 tattoos but all of them are in places where when im dressed in work clothes they cant be seen. I actually just got a promotion to bank manager just found out about 10 minutes ago WOOT WOOT

Old 05-31-2012, 08:21 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
My husband and I both have tattoos, as does my sister-in-law. We've been talking about the pros and cons of tattoos for years.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:21 AM

506 posts, read 1,956,025 times
My husband has two tattoos. A small one on his forearm that he got at 16, and one on his upper back that he got at 20. He does not regret them yet (13 years since the first one). He has his ears pierced (1 since he was in 6th grade, the rest as a teenager). Now he only wears his cartilage piercing though. He's also very successful, in a corporate job, the youngest in his role, fastest promoted within the region, and is very well respected. The piercing is visible, you wouldn't know about the tattoos unless you asked.

I have no tattoos and would never get one-- just not a fan. I wouldn't judge someone who did.

That being said, I do still think 16 was young for him to get it... his younger brother (whole other story-- adult child still living at home and off his parents, among many, many other things ) started at 16 and never stopped. He has so many tattoos everywhere, and honestly I think it's to the point that they don't even mean anything anymore.

I guess I gave two extremes of what can happen-- but I wouldn't fault everyone with a tattoo!

Old 05-31-2012, 08:40 AM

331 posts, read 603,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I went with an 18-year-old very close to me (though not my own child) to get a tattoo. She got a very simple design on her inner wrist, where a watch or bracelet could cover it. It's an important consideration to keep in mind... I'm not against young adults (or anyone!) getting a tattoo for self-expression purposes, but you do have to think about how your art might affect your future, and how you can cover said tattoo if necessary.

^^Agreed!!

Besides my parents and grandparents, most of my family has at least one tattoo. I myself have 2 so far and plan to get 4 more. I do take into consideration where I get them and I put time into it as well, as the ones I have now, I very much enjoy and know I'll never regret!! Now-a-days, there are people with tattoos(very visable at times) working in top offfice positions as well as retail, eateries, etc. I think people and employers are coming around to the fact that tattoos are simply self expression, meaningful, oh yes and sometimes stupid ways that make people unique and as long as they aren't discussting, or vulgar. In many jobs/careers I really don't think tattoos are looked upon as they once were(rebel). Maybe cities are more open to this way of self expression.
I myself love classy tattoos and unique self expression!!

Old 05-31-2012, 06:52 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times
I have one on my foot.
It can be covered.
I also heard it doesn't matter in any of the professions I have considered, so its all good.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:11 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,486,519 times
As long as she doesn't get her neck tattooed, I don't think it matters a great deal. Anywhere below that should be pretty much covered at any professional job. Of course, I'm thinking a few small tattoos, not being having both arms covered from wrist to shoulder.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:20 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
I will definitely bring it to my son's attention, and before he decides he wants one! But I'll also remind him there are less painful, less expensive, and less "permanent" ways to accomplish whatever he's trying to accomplish by getting a tat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting