U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 12:03 PM

885 posts, read 1,527,752 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if you've heard about instagram, young kids and teenagers have been flocking to it for a while without realizing what they are doing.

You know, the free app that allows anyone to see any pictures your kids post of themselves (privacy settings are defaulted to off)... where they post from (GPS location) and time /date of course..

This isn't the only app like this, and kids are telling their parents it's just a picture editing app. I assure you it's more, IMO it's actually worse than facebook.

Some short reading, pay attention to the part after privacy..

Instagram

Ask any questions about it, I'll answer you all.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:00 PM

5,944 posts, read 6,378,467 times
Sorry but the should read Parents: don't teach your kids to be blithering idiots.

Many of us including myself grew up with this stuff myself and anyone I know has never had issues with being a moron. Teach your kids how to be smart with technology it's a lot more simple and helps them in the long run.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:11 PM

24,717 posts, read 59,563,864 times
Good luck finding a smartphone without a camera.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:15 PM

12,913 posts, read 19,782,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Sorry but the should read Parents: don't teach your kids to be blithering idiots.

Many of us including myself grew up with this stuff myself and anyone I know has never had issues with being a moron. Teach your kids how to be smart with technology it's a lot more simple and helps them in the long run.
And you wonder why your responses aren't respected the way you believe they should be (I hate that emoticon by the way, but here it fits).

The article references children, and young teens. I don't think any child who fits that category needs a smart phone. We didn't provide them until college.
All the kids may require are calling and texting. And, the word "no".

It is not moronic to trust things are as they seem, it's age and experience, and education that would lead to that conclusion. Personally, I was much more interested in my kids being well educated and active than in allowing them to post pictures that anyone could access.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
And you wonder why your responses aren't respected the way you believe they should be (I hate that emoticon by the way, but here it fits).

The article references children, and young teens. I don't think any child who fits that category needs a smart phone. We didn't provide them until college.
All the kids may require are calling and texting. And, the word "no".

It is not moronic to trust things are as they seem, it's age and experience, and education that would lead to that conclusion. Personally, I was much more interested in my kids being well educated and active than in allowing them to post pictures that anyone could access.
In the past six months, instagram has had record success... and kids as young as 10 are sitting there posting their lives on the internet. this was just a PSA.. as I'm having more and more of these cases come across my desk everyday.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:32 PM

12,913 posts, read 19,782,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
In the past six months, instagram has had record success... and kids as young as 10 are sitting there posting their lives on the internet. this was just a PSA.. as I'm having more and more of these cases come across my desk everyday.
I was first introduced to it by one of my college aged sons. He uses it frequently, but for good, not evil. He sends us photos of his research trip in Costa Rica. It's an awesome tool, in the right hands.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:34 PM

6,056 posts, read 7,954,291 times
Why do kids need smart phones and FB anyway? I survived just fine without them. I see my teenage cousins posting all over FB, and it's nothing but DRAMA. But the adults aren't really any better honestly.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I was first introduced to it by one of my college aged sons. He uses it frequently, but for good, not evil. He sends us photos of his research trip in Costa Rica. It's an awesome tool, in the right hands.
In older teens and young adults it's fine and cool. I can tell you that kids under a certain age sign up and have no idea WHO is actually following them... I haven't come across any KID who has posted bad things yet, but what they dont understand is that the pics they do post (faces, gymnastics, skating, swimming, etc) show the time date and location of where they are, to ANYONE on the site. If instagram came with the privacy setting turned on by default (like google's picasa) it wouldn't be such a big deal........but of course it does not. Kids (under 14) seem to think ONLY their friends see their images.... sadly that's terribly wrong.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:39 PM

29,988 posts, read 35,842,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post

More of what cases exactly? Are you in law enforcement? Are you talking about stalkers or what specifially?

Old 06-01-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Why do kids need smart phones and FB anyway? I survived just fine without them. I see my teenage cousins posting all over FB, and it's nothing but DRAMA. But the adults aren't really any better honestly.
You can say that again, but at least adults are smart enough that they can avoid being a victim. The simple answer is kids dont NEED either one, but for some reason parents have turned into idiots, handing them camera phones because they whine about their friends having them, etc.

Parenting looks tough and I hear parents tell me "i just didnt want to fight over this".. well by the time they get to me they realize their mistake..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or