U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 11:07 AM

5,536 posts, read 2,802,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Nah, zombie apocalypse sounds more likely to me.
I second zombie apocalypse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 11:26 AM

8,067 posts, read 9,225,351 times
Default Let's turn the tables....

No one wants their kids to have to be disciplined. No one wants them hurt. As a mother, I get that. However, some of you saying you would never tolerate it seems unrealistic and irresponsible. As a mother, that stuns me. Your kids are not the only ones with rights. And your child's comfort comes before mine, because he/she is a child, only for so long.

I don't necessarily agree with what happened in the theater, but I can certainly understand his reaction.

Since the question is "Would you approve of a stranger physically disciplining your child if you aren't around?", let's entertain a couple of scenarios. It's a general question so it could mean just about anything. And remember, if it is wrong, it is wrong.

I mentioned this before. A ten year old kid walks up to you and just proceeds to kick you, elbow you in the head, etc, just for fun. What do you do? Do you just sit there and take it? Do you go running to the manager? Or do you grab that kid and hold him down until he stops? That is physical discipline, isn't it? And, what if, in the process, you bruise him? Is he still a poor little victim?

What if you just dropped your child off at school and a 10 year old strolls up and points mommy's new boyfriend's gun at him/her? Do you wait in your car for mom and dad to show up and discipline him? Do you wait until he shoots your kid and then run to the principle's office? Or do you fly out of your vehicle and eliminate the threat by whatever means necessary?

Maybe the rules go out the window when it happens to you and yours. And if it was your child doing these things, you'd probably cry foul anyway.

I engrained in my son, from the time he was old enough to know right from wrong, that there would be hell to pay if he ever laid a hand on another human being that was not in kindness or self defense. I would be the first to impose a sentence and the first to turn him in. I still would. If I didn't, someone else would have. And it would hurt like hell, even if they were right to let him have it or throw him in jail. But I have to take off my mommy hat and accept what is right or just. My son is not the only one who matters on this planet. He means the world to me, but not to everyone else. He is no less deserving of what he puts out there, good or bad.

This forum is just a small sample of why so many kids are so out of control.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:53 AM

12,159 posts, read 6,096,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
No one wants their kids to have to be disciplined. No one wants them hurt. As a mother, I get that. However, some of you saying you would never tolerate it seems unrealistic and irresponsible. As a mother, that stuns me. Your kids are not the only ones with rights. And your child's comfort comes before mine, because he/she is a child, only for so long.

I don't necessarily agree with what happened in the theater, but I can certainly understand his reaction.

Since the question is "Would you approve of a stranger physically disciplining your child if you aren't around?", let's entertain a couple of scenarios. It's a general question so it could mean just about anything. And remember, if it is wrong, it is wrong.

I mentioned this before. A ten year old kid walks up to you and just proceeds to kick you, elbow you in the head, etc, just for fun. What do you do? Do you just sit there and take it? Do you go running to the manager? Or do you grab that kid and hold him down until he stops? That is physical discipline, isn't it? And, what if, in the process, you bruise him? Is he still a poor little victim?

What if you just dropped your child off at school and a 10 year old strolls up and points mommy's new boyfriend's gun at him/her? Do you wait in your car for mom and dad to show up and discipline him? Do you wait until he shoots your kid and then run to the principle's office? Or do you fly out of your vehicle and eliminate the threat by whatever means necessary?

Maybe the rules go out the window when it happens to you and yours. And if it was your child doing these things, you'd probably cry foul anyway.

I engrained in my son, from the time he was old enough to know right from wrong, that there would be hell to pay if he ever laid a hand on another human being that was not in kindness or self defense. I would be the first to impose a sentence and the first to turn him in. I still would. If I didn't, someone else would have. And it would hurt like hell, even if they were right to let him have it or throw him in jail. But I have to take off my mommy hat and accept what is right or just. My son is not the only one who matters on this planet. He means the world to me, but not to everyone else. He is no less deserving of what he puts out there, good or bad.

The examples you give are very exaggerated compared to a kid making a noise in a movie theater. Protecting oneself from physical aggression is not the same thing as throwing a punch at a stranger's head because they are annoying you.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:01 PM

22,202 posts, read 13,002,469 times
Quote:

What?

Because we think this guy was out of line because he PUNCHED A KID IN THE MOUTH it translates to all of us raising kids who are running around with no limits and discipline?

No. Just no.

Maybe this forum is an example of level-headed people who realize you don't take your frustrations out by getting physical and taking out teeth every time your seat gets kicked.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:16 PM

21,278 posts, read 19,330,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
What?

Because we think this guy was out of line because he PUNCHED A KID IN THE MOUTH it translates to all of us raising kids who are running around with no limits and discipline?

No. Just no.

Maybe this forum is an example of level-headed people who realize you don't take your frustrations out by getting physical and taking out teeth every time your seat gets kicked.
I'd be afraid to get on a plane again if so. I am tall so my knees usually end up in some poor schmoe's back.

Last edited by JustJulia; 06-08-2012 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-08-2012, 12:22 PM

5,536 posts, read 2,802,640 times
Quote:

Please identify yourself next time at the theater so that I know who I can freely punch in the teeth for making noise without a thought of consequence.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:47 PM

2,173 posts, read 1,462,531 times
I cannot imagine anyone being okay with this. But I bet if I read long enough, there will be some posters saying it's ok. Sick.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:50 PM

10,578 posts, read 5,079,239 times
That's called real child abuse- a stranger does not love your child as you do- No one dare lay a hand on one of my kids with they were little- If they did- fingers are going to get broken- You keep your hands off of what is not yours.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:20 PM

3,388 posts, read 1,813,826 times
I have a quick, easy, unequivocal answer to the OP question: no.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:09 PM

385 posts, read 318,881 times
Pass the chocolate-I am so sorry that you would feel this way but to come to such a conclusion is a closed minded individual. Anyone thinking that you can get positive actions from a physical attack is not right. You can draw boundaries with children without being physical and we all have bad days but it does give a right to hurting someone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting