U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Do your kids wear Heelys?
No 56 70.89%
Yes. No helmet or wrist guards 20 25.32%
Yes. Wrist guards but no Helmet 0 0%
Yes. Wrist guards + helmet 3 3.80%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 01:37 AM

2,383 posts, read 4,108,016 times

Advertisements

My daughter begged me for a pair and $60 later, she has worn them maybe 4 times!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 09:36 AM

11,252 posts, read 9,678,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
My kids do have heely's. They wear them around but don't get crazy doing tricks on them or anything. We have a very strict rule about being respectful of people around them. I also hate it when a kid cuts me off rolling around on them. If my kid does it, I take them away. I haven't had to take them yet and we've had them since Christmas. Most kids around here have them. No, they aren't allowed at school. I wouldn't let them wear them to school even if they were allowed. I didn't realise that a lot of kids were getting hurt. None of the kids I know have gotten hurt, and like I said, most of the kids do have them. I will have to watch for that. MY biggest complaint, besides the kids not respecting others when wearing them is that the kids walk funny in them and I worry about the effects on their feet/back. So my kids cannot wear them all the time. Put them on to wheel around, then off for running/playing.
Do you let your kids wear Heelys in stores? If I were a store owner I'd ban them due to fear of law suits.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:05 PM

2,839 posts, read 6,611,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmanm View Post
My kids have been bugging us for a pair and the answer is going to be no.

Helmets are a requirement for us when riding/skating and this wouldn't be any different. If they want to roller skate, it'll be done at home.
This is us as well. My son has been begging for them since he was 6, and the answer is still "no." Not only are they unsafe, but they are too expensive to justify, IMO.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:22 PM

109 posts, read 514,977 times
My daughter likes to wear her heely's when we go shopping. She glides next to the shopping cart. We have had no incidents. She did wear them in a hospital once, bad mistake, she was yelled at by a nurse. I agree she shouldn't have been wearing them but I was so disoriented with going to the hospital I failed to realize she had them on.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:55 PM

15,819 posts, read 32,425,087 times
My kids have no interest inthem. I sure would like a pair though. Do they make them for big people?

Old 11-13-2008, 01:01 PM

3,031 posts, read 5,685,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
Do you have them wear helmets/wrist guards?
Not only are they dangerous to the child, but they make your child a danger to other people. I can't count the number of times I've had a kid wearing those annoying shoes smack into me because they're barreling rudely around the grocery store or other public place. It's pretty effing annoying to have a kid wearing one of those run into you from behind at the theaters, and cause you to drop $12 worth of popcorn and soda on the floor.

Do the general public a favor, and don't get them for your kid. We'll just want to smack your kid upside the head and that's not good for either of us.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:09 AM

58 posts, read 233,933 times
Absolutely not. The way they have to hold their feet in order to move is going to make many a podiatrist rich. If you want skate, get REAL skates and skate for real. Gliding around Walmart on a cheap shoe with a wheel on it is not skating. Put those kids in some inlines and they'd fall on their butts. It's not lost on me that I see WAY more kids on Heelys indoors than outdoors; if I ever got them for kids, I'd check their feet before we went into a store or a restaurant. Just common courtesy, damn!

Skating was my life when I was a kid, and I tend to be the oldest one at the rink from time to time, still. I'll gladly take my niece and nephews to the rink or the park and let them go around and around until they drop dead. But Heelys? Please.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:11 PM

3 posts, read 4,223 times
GET A GRIP COME ON PEOPLE I SWEAR YOU ARE HEELY HATERS THEY ARE THE SAME AS ROLLER SKATES AND SKATEBOARDS IF YOU LET YOUR KID USE A SKATEBOARD THEY CAN GET HURT IF THEY USE HEELYS THEY CAN GET HURT TOO I HATE SCHOOLS THAT WOUNT LET YOU WEAR HEELYS EVEN WITH OUT THE WHEEL THAT IS plain STUPID WHAT ARE THEY GOING TO DO GO FOR A RIDE WITHOUT THEYER WHEEL

THATS JUST MY 11YEAR OLD MIND

Old 07-13-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dora Milaje View Post
Absolutely not. The way they have to hold their feet in order to move is going to make many a podiatrist rich. If you want skate, get REAL skates and skate for real. Gliding around Walmart on a cheap shoe with a wheel on it is not skating. Put those kids in some inlines and they'd fall on their butts. It's not lost on me that I see WAY more kids on Heelys indoors than outdoors; if I ever got them for kids, I'd check their feet before we went into a store or a restaurant. Just common courtesy, damn!

Skating was my life when I was a kid, and I tend to be the oldest one at the rink from time to time, still. I'll gladly take my niece and nephews to the rink or the park and let them go around and around until they drop dead. But Heelys? Please.
heelys arnt cheap

Old 07-13-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
We don't have them. However, I would indeed make my kids wear a helmet when using them. Any bikes/scooters/skateboards/roller blades/miscellaneous wheeled anything usage at our house requires a helmet - no exceptions (not even for me LOL).

Where can they wear them but outside or at home? Around here they are banned in schools and most public places.
thats up 2 u
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting