Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 08:23 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I have been looking for a sugar daddy and would like a Lexus please.

Ok, ok I know. I am trying to be light and funny.
The crocodile could use somebody new for dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 09:39 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,275,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahdeanne View Post
It's just about working towards a goal and its okay if a young boys goals have something to do with cars, sports, or whatever.
I agree sarahdeanne

Old 06-10-2012, 08:06 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
So that you can be responsible for his homework rather than him? Or maybe he should get a crap grade and learn his lesson.

I am the parent, and no, I do not accept "crap" grades. If the homework wasn't done right, it was done again.

That is my job as a parent to guide my children in the right direction, and that means checking homework, so my child DOES NOT get a crappy grade.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:46 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I am the parent, and no, I do not accept "crap" grades. If the homework wasn't done right, it was done again.

That is my job as a parent to guide my children in the right direction, and that means checking homework, so my child DOES NOT get a crappy grade.
Actually, you should not correct a child's homework, though you can certainly ask him to correct it if you find errors. It is better though if your child learns to reread and correct himself.

Also, homework is usually not *graded* in the standard way. If children make mistakes in homework, it can help the teacher to figure out what needs to be retaught.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:01 PM

919 posts, read 1,690,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I agree.

I wanted see my all childrens homework every night, especially one of my sons, the one with the excuses.....

I didnt want to hear, yeah Papa i did it.

No, i want to see it.
Just because you SIT there and watch him do it does not mean he HANDS it in, there is a HUGE Difference, I cannot count how many times I do my homework, but then forget it, or have it be collected on a different day where I don't have it. The point if this thread is not to bash his parenting abilities, obviously if he's applauding this man for speaking to his son then he has morals and understands how more people like Terron could have a positive impact on today's youth.

Besides, homework, at least in my class is only 5% of my grade that's not very much motivation to get it done. If he's pulling a C then clearly the impact isn't huge. Oh and btw I am a 96 average student.

Cool Story OP, I would've freaked out too! lol, but seriously I'm sure you have repeated yourself to your son 10000000x truth is for the next 6 years he won't listen, He'll only listen when his friends, or a coach or someone else says it lol.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:07 PM

919 posts, read 1,690,275 times
to me it seems like people on this thread have a problem with the use of "role model". Fine maybe it isn't a typical role model, maybe he isn't a role model at all, but his efforts are admirable.

And those celebrities who say "stay in school" and "say no to drugs" could make an impact at the age the OP is referring to. His son is 12, you are not talking about a teenager. If one person that a CHILD is willing to listen to have it be a teacher, coach or complete stranger tells them "don't do drugs" and it sticks with them that's already a huge step, cause honestly- the average age of first time drug use is 14....

Let the kid look up and fantasize about having a lambo, there's nothing wrong with having that child innocence that all to many kids loose to early...

Old 06-21-2012, 05:17 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,275,560 times
I agree with NJGOATS post...now THAT is a role model....I don't have any problem with the word "role model" Jazzii...as long as it's applied correctly...I could never call a stranger a role model..how could I? when I don't even know them....I've also noticed the word "hero" is waaay over-used....

Old 06-22-2012, 05:30 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,688,008 times
My God. The OP shares a positive event in his life and the life of his son and some of you s**t on this man's parade by calling into judgment his parenting and financial skills. I'm glad this chance encounter had a positive effect on your son. I thought this kind of abuse only happened at the Politics and Other Controversies or Relationships forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting