U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 01:36 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,473,591 times
Default Texas CPS Question...

Okay... just a question. Does anyone know what the requirements are for house-cleanliness regarding minimum requirements before CPS would get involved in Texas?

One of my kids knows a couple (the father is 2 years out of high school, the mother just graduated)... they have a 7 month old baby). One day my son went over to their friend apartment and said it was horrible. There was some food (chips) on the floor, dirty dishes in the sink, some food left on the counter, clothes and some dirty diapers on the floor. He commented (knowingly LOL) that I would "kill" him if he even kept his room that way.

So... I told him that they (the couple with the child) need to be careful or someone could call CPS on them. He said that he didn't think it was that bad (needless to say it started a long conversation).

Bottom line... does anyone know if there's a minimum standard or guide one could look up? Would be nice just to know.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 02:08 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,547,013 times
I really doubt that child protective services would do much in a family home, but here are minimum standards for a child care home in Texas in pdf format. It's 218 pages long though.

http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/document..._747_Homes.pdf

Here are some cases where children were removed.

Five children removed from Broome County home - YNN, Your News Now

Police Roundup - May 31, 2012 Local News TheTimesTribune.com, Corbin, KY

Children Found Tied Up In Texas Home

Animal Hoarding News & Info: Two Women Charged With Endangering Children, Neglecting Animals

Note that these cases are much worse than you describe and dps is overwhelmed with the volume of cases of real neglect and abuse. If you are worried though, I would suggest teaching these parents how to clean and helping them out if they are overwhelmed by parenthood.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:14 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,861,142 times
If the children are not alone, have clothes, food and shelter and there is no danger to the children in the home, then there is nothing they can do.

An apartment as described could merely be cluttered or not cleaned lately, not necessarily filthy. Or it could be totally unsanitary. It depends on ones standards of cleanliness and the level of 'dirty'.

If your son thinks the child is being abused, neglected or in danger then he owes it to the child to call CPS. If he thinks they aren't the best parents or best at housekeeping, then he needs not to judge. If he is unsure then he can certainly call CPS and ask them if what he saw is something that needs to be investigated and let them judge.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:28 PM

2,058 posts, read 2,028,648 times
Some people are slobs, that doesnt mean they are bad parents and hopefully that isn't enough to sentence their children to a life of foster care.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:45 PM

5,546 posts, read 2,288,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Okay... just a question. Does anyone know what the requirements are for house-cleanliness regarding minimum requirements before CPS would get involved in Texas?

One of my kids knows a couple (the father is 2 years out of high school, the mother just graduated)... they have a 7 month old baby). One day my son went over to their friend apartment and said it was horrible. There was some food (chips) on the floor, dirty dishes in the sink, some food left on the counter, clothes and some dirty diapers on the floor. He commented (knowingly LOL) that I would "kill" him if he even kept his room that way.

So... I told him that they (the couple with the child) need to be careful or someone could call CPS on them. He said that he didn't think it was that bad (needless to say it started a long conversation).

Bottom line... does anyone know if there's a minimum standard or guide one could look up? Would be nice just to know.

Thanks in advance!
Well my mom works for CPS in md and it's gotta be pretty gross for them to take action. But from what you said i think it would qualify.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:47 PM

5,546 posts, read 2,288,014 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
If the children are not alone, have clothes, food and shelter and there is no danger to the children in the home, then there is nothing they can do.

An apartment as described could merely be cluttered or not cleaned lately, not necessarily filthy. Or it could be totally unsanitary. It depends on ones standards of cleanliness and the level of 'dirty'.

If your son thinks the child is being abused, neglected or in danger then he owes it to the child to call CPS. If he thinks they aren't the best parents or best at housekeeping, then he needs not to judge. If he is unsure then he can certainly call CPS and ask them if what he saw is something that needs to be investigated and let them judge.
I agree but according to my mother it sounds bad enough to warrant at least a checkup.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:49 PM

4,964 posts, read 2,779,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post

When I was a special education teacher making home visits these were the key things (above in bold) that we needed to be concerned about. I have seen some pretty disgusting homes but if the child is taken care of (fed, clean, loved) then it doesn't matter. Sometimes, working and caring for a child can be overwhelming and the parent may need a little help to get caught up on housekeeping. Maybe your son can help out a little by watching the child or helping with some of the work. It really doesn't sound too bad.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:08 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,600,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
When I was a special education teacher making home visits these were the key things (above in bold) that we needed to be concerned about. I have seen some pretty disgusting homes but if the child is taken care of (fed, clean, loved) then it doesn't matter. Sometimes, working and caring for a child can be overwhelming and the parent may need a little help to get caught up on housekeeping. Maybe your son can help out a little by watching the child or helping with some of the work. It really doesn't sound too bad.
You are correct, CPS will not remove a child from the house due to poor housekeeping unless it is at a level where you see rodents (droppings and urine) throughout the home and even then they may just warn them. CPS is overwhelmed with trying to find homes for these new babies born to addicted parents that have abandon, abusing and neglecting them. But I wouldn't allow him to help because those types of parents would take advantage of him..excepting to come over and help clean up...

Old 06-09-2012, 05:35 PM

1,967 posts, read 2,294,834 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Hmmm, well as described here, that could be a lot of people's homes with young children. A few hours ago in my house there were some goldfish on the floor where my 15 month old threw them; dishes from lunch in the sink plus a plate with my 6 year old's leftovers on the counter (she picks off the bread crust), a load of (clean) laundry in the middle of the living room floor that I had just taken out of the dryer (waiting for me to fold it), and one diaper (wet, but folded closed) in my younger daughter's room that I forgot to take with me to the trash (got distracted when she jumped up and started running around the room as I was trying to put her pants back on). Of course it's all taken care of now, but wow, I'm sure glad my friends understand that it's hard to keep a house spotless with young children around (at least until they are in bed for the night). And yes, I know some people DO run after their babies/toddlers cleaning up every crumb every moment they are awake; I just happen to prefer spend my time with them in other ways (playing or reading) and deal with the mess after bed time.
With all that said, if the food has been sitting out long enough to grow mold and attract roaches, etc., and feces stuck to the floor, then yeah, a call to CPS is warranted.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:51 PM

4,267 posts, read 2,758,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
Hmmm, well as described here, that could be a lot of people's homes with young children. A few hours ago in my house there were some goldfish on the floor where my 15 month old threw them; dishes from lunch in the sink plus a plate with my 6 year old's leftovers on the counter (she picks off the bread crust), a load of (clean) laundry in the middle of the living room floor that I had just taken out of the dryer (waiting for me to fold it), and one diaper (wet, but folded closed) in my younger daughter's room that I forgot to take with me to the trash (got distracted when she jumped up and started running around the room as I was trying to put her pants back on). Of course it's all taken care of now, but wow, I'm sure glad my friends understand that it's hard to keep a house spotless with young children around (at least until they are in bed for the night). And yes, I know some people DO run after their babies/toddlers cleaning up every crumb every moment they are awake; I just happen to prefer spend my time with them in other ways (playing or reading) and deal with the mess after bed time.
With all that said, if the food has been sitting out long enough to grow mold and attract roaches, etc., and feces stuck to the floor, then yeah, a call to CPS is warranted.
I agree. There are times where it looks like a bomb went off in our house and other days it's neat, clean and tidy. I would not call CPS based on the information in the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting