Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 04:42 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I don't see how you can make a person believe something. You can make them sit in church/synagogue if it makes you feel better, but you cannot make the believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
It was hard for my mother. She was extremely upset when I became a Christian at 15. I didn't live with my parents, though, and that made it easier for both of us. Within a year or two her feelings about it had changed. Now, over 30 years later, she is glad for all those in her family who are believers, although she still is not. She has become much more tolerant.

I can understand being upset if a child became an intolerant, hating, self-righteous religious person. As a Christian it would upset me to see that in my own children, whether they were professing Christians or not. But if good things were coming from it - if you saw your child becoming more loving and more content - that's a different story.
It's hard when you can't fathom the fact people need to believe to live through life. The same as it goes for how a religious parent has a hard time not understanding how someone can't believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 04:51 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Why would you continue making them go if they didn't hold your views?
Same reason I make them go to school even when they don't want to go.

Or why I make them get a job when they're 18 even if they really would rather lay on the couch playing video games all day.

Or why I make them pick up after themselves even if they'd prefer to live in a pig pen.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

Or why I make them get a job when they're 18 even if they really would rather lay on the couch playing video games all day.

Or why I make them pick up after themselves even if they'd prefer to live in a pig pen.
Yeah but those hold an actual purpose to day to day life. Plus you are the one who suffers if you don't make them do those things :-P.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:58 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I don't see how you can make a person believe something. You can make them sit in church/synagogue if it makes you feel better, but you cannot make them believe.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner!

Old 06-10-2012, 04:58 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Yeah but those hold an actual purpose to day to day life. Plus you are the one who suffers if you don't make them do those things :-P.
Actually religious belief holds an actual purpose day to day -- but you likely have no understanding of that.

Parents teach their kids and make their kids learn many things, do many things the kids don't want to do. Just like making them do their math homework even if they say they don't want to grow up and be mathematicians.

You can't understand religious belief if you've never been exposed to one. Its just like language or anything else, you don't fail to teach your child your language even if one day they may feel like learning and speaking another language, you provide them a basis in all things that you believe in.

I'm not the one who suffers btw -- I haven't suffered yet. Why would I suffer? And my kids don't hate going to church. They sometimes don't really feel like going at first but it's not really the big horrible issue you are trying to make it out to be.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Actually religious belief holds an actual purpose day to day -- but you likely have no understanding of that.

Parents teach their kids and make their kids learn many things, do many things the kids don't want to do. Just like making them do their math homework even if they say they don't want to grow up and be mathematicians.

You can't understand religious belief if you've never been exposed to one. Its just like language or anything else, you don't fail to teach your child your language even if one day they may feel like learning and speaking another language, you provide them a basis in all things that you believe in.

I'm not the one who suffers btw -- I haven't suffered yet. Why would I suffer? And my kids don't hate going to church. They sometimes don't really feel like going at first but it's not really the big horrible issue you are trying to make it out to be.
Because if you don't make your child go to school they fail, plus in many states you can get a charge . You let them stay home all day, while not cleaning up you also are the one who has that extra work to do. As for exposure there is nothing wrong with that, but one does not need church to be exposed to learning. But no i don't see a need to teach religious beliefs to kids because they are personal and should be explored by them on their own.

As for your kids i can't say, but if they don't mind their beliefs then chances are they won't care about going . Also what day to day purpose do religous beliefs hold to someone who holds a different view than you?

Old 06-10-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
My belief holds an actual purpose in day-to-day life, and it's the same for a lot of other people. Many of us use our spirituality to guide us through our days, in addition to emotion and reason. I understand that you don't believe, and as Momma_Bear pointed out, you cannot make someone else believe. But religious people use their spirituality to help guide them through their lives--not talking about what you see in the news (and on City-Data, lol) about people using religion to infringe upon others, but on a private and personal basis. It has an actual purpose in day-to-day life for us.

My daughter went to church with me when she was very small, then I did not go for a number of years, but she went to my mother's church's Sunday School--which I was wary of because it's not the version of Chrisitianity I would prefer her to practice. Then all through high school she dated the son of a pastor of a fundamentalist type of church, and she was active there, but didn't accept their premises. Now she's in college and interested in Asia and in Eastern religions. I know she goes to some sort of meditation group at school, and that's fine with me. I would prefer that she believes in something because I think neglecting that part of your humanity is not beneficial.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My belief holds an actual purpose in day-to-day life, and it's the same for a lot of other people. Many of us use our spirituality to guide us through our days, in addition to emotion and reason. I understand that you don't believe, and as Momma_Bear pointed out, you cannot make someone else believe. But religious people use their spirituality to help guide them through their lives--not talking about what you see in the news (and on City-Data, lol) about people using religion to infringe upon others, but on a private and personal basis. It has an actual purpose in day-to-day life for us.
Yes to you they do, but to someone who doesn't believe?

Old 06-10-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Yes to you they do, but to someone who doesn't believe?
Then it holds no actual purpose for you. But to a mother raising a child who wants her child to reap the benefits of being in touch with his/her spiritual side, it means as much as making them eat green leaves when they don't want to.

If the kid does not believe, he or she will go down their own road as an adult.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:18 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:

So you think the benefit is in the attendance of church not in the belief of the deity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting