Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you do if you saw a child being abused
Say something to parents 8 53.33%
Walk away 1 6.67%
call police 4 26.67%
other (will comment) 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 12:40 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,157,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
So, I suppose you have never walked on a hot tar road barefoot.
A 2 year olds feet are much more tender than an adults...so yes...it is THAT awful!
I have. It is not that awful. It hurts. But it is not going to burn the skin off your feet.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
When you see a child being mistreated what do you do? Do you say something to the parents call the police/cps or just turn the other cheek?

THis past Saturday my bff and I took our kids to the local beach. Well as we were leaving I heard a child crying so I looked up and this little boy couldnt have been more then 2 was walking alongside his mom on the blacktop with no shoes on. It was over 90 degrees. . SO as the little boy was crying his mom yelled at him to shut up.

Well My anger got the best of me and I yelled at her and told her I should make her walk on the blacktop with no shoes on. Well she ignored me but her friend behind her said he wouldnt put on his shoes. I said well either you MAKE him or carry him smh DUH!
I wouldn't. If I were that mother, I would have let him walk on the hot tar. And when he realized it was hot, I would stop and ask if he was ready to put his shoes on now.
Quote:
Well things got a bit escalated and I ended up just leaving because they were getting weapons involved (typical Ohio guys pull out guns in a chick fight
Because THAT is so much better than what this mother did. Your partner should not be let out of doors if pulling firearms is his response to things he does not like strangers doing.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:45 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,676,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm not thrilled that this child was on hot asphalt in bare feet. But.....

The fact that this child was in a situation where GUNS were being pulled out bothers me enormously!

(Everyone is focusing on his foot wear when the people he is with are pulling weapons? )

This is a typical weekend honestly. Ohio is not a good place well Columbus Ohio isnt. We have shootings and murders all the time a friend of mine was just shot down last night only 21. . But yeah its getting to be alot I personally have 3 guns and a permit to have them on my person. But I would never pull one out like these people did. LOL it was kind of funny to see there faces when they started popping the trunks and talking about getting this that and the other out and I calmly told them I was taught not to reach for my gun unless im shooting so if I pop my trunk thats the end of discussion and mine are LEGAL haha funny reaction. But of course by this time police had already began to arrive so the crowd thinned out pretty quick.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I wouldn't. If I were that mother, I would have let him walk on the hot tar. And when he realized it was hot, I would stop and ask if he was ready to put his shoes on now.

Because THAT is so much better than what this mother did. Your partner should not be let out of doors if pulling firearms is his response to things he does not like strangers doing.

read a little closer THEY were getting weapons involved not me or anyone I was with.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:47 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,016,792 times
You should have called the police and if they took off you should have gotten their tag number . The cops told me one time that the tag could have been run and they could get the address off that . I saw a woman spanking her child several times over at a convience store and she kept on spanking him . i yelled at her "I think that is enough "!! she told me to mind my own business well i got paper and pen out and called the cops and the cops told me not to follow her and just let them handle it . So I did I hope this woman never has this kid back i know she spanked him enough to leave welts .

Old 06-11-2012, 12:49 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,016,792 times
Quote:
This is a typical weekend honestly. Ohio is not a good place well Columbus Ohio isnt. We have shootings and murders all the time a friend of mine was just shot down last night only 21. . But yeah its getting to be alot I personally have 3 guns and a permit to have them on my person. But I would never pull one out like these people did. LOL it was kind of funny to see there faces when they started popping the trunks and talking about getting this that and the other out and I calmly told them I was taught not to reach for my gun unless im shooting so if I pop my trunk thats the end of discussion and mine are LEGAL haha funny reaction. But of course by this time police had already began to arrive so the crowd thinned out pretty quick.
Yep could not agree more that is why Im leaving ohio next spring may 2013 . I'm really tired of the crime rate rising each year and nothing being done about it .

Old 06-11-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Yep could not agree more that is why Im leaving ohio next spring may 2013 . I'm really tired of the crime rate rising each year and nothing being done about it .
Yup me too I have to wait until 2014 when I graduate but after that im gonnnnneeeee

Old 06-11-2012, 12:53 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,482,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm not thrilled that this child was on hot asphalt in bare feet. But.....

The fact that this child was in a situation where GUNS were being pulled out bothers me enormously!

(Everyone is focusing on his foot wear when the people he is with are pulling weapons? )
It is legal for people to carry guns in some states, I believe Ohio being one of them, although I could be wrong. And it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that there are people stupid enough to pull them out over the slightest provocation. Which is another reason why I wouldn't start a fight with someone because I didn't approve of what they were doing, for the sake of not only their child, but my own as well. I'm sure it was unpleasant for that child to have his feet burning and his mother screaming and cussing at him, but I'm also sure it would have also been unpleasant for the OP's child to see her mom get shot or beat up. But the question was "do you say something or walk away?" What CAN you say about the gun? Yes, it shouldn't have been pulled out, but the mother had already shown she has poor judgment and self control. Not a shocker she would pull out a gun because someone said something she didn't like. But, if the OP had approached the situation in a better manner, the gun wouldn't have been involved at all.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
This is a typical weekend honestly. Ohio is not a good place well Columbus Ohio isnt. We have shootings and murders all the time a friend of mine was just shot down last night only 21. . But yeah its getting to be alot I personally have 3 guns and a permit to have them on my person. But I would never pull one out like these people did.
Oh No! When you said Ohio Guy I though you meant your partner because you are OhioChic. My sincere apologies for that statement about your partner! You must think I am daft. Well more daft than normal.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
It is legal for people to carry guns in some states, I believe Ohio being one of them, although I could be wrong. And it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that there are people stupid enough to pull them out over the slightest provocation. Which is another reason why I wouldn't start a fight with someone because I didn't approve of what they were doing, for the sake of not only their child, but my own as well. I'm sure it was unpleasant for that child to have his feet burning and his mother screaming and cussing at him, but I'm also sure it would have also been unpleasant for the OP's child to see her mom get shot or beat up. But the question was "do you say something or walk away?" What CAN you say about the gun? Yes, it shouldn't have been pulled out, but the mother had already shown she has poor judgment and self control. Not a shocker she would pull out a gun because someone said something she didn't like. But, if the OP had approached the situation in a better manner, the gun wouldn't have been involved at all.

It is legal. I have a ccw permit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.