Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2012, 04:35 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Reason being, we have a far stronger type of independant woman in Australia who is far more likely to not want the man involved in the future, than your average Mrs America.
Or you could pick a man whom you WANT to be involved in your life. AND the child's. Too 20th century? Conceiving a child to raise with a man you actually WANT in your life 30 years down the line?

(Can't say it's too American because I actually know Aussies who do this.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 04:43 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Quote:
Ok I'm cutting to the chase here for the OP -

When you name the baby, it's a matter of filling out a form, usually within 24 hours of the birth so you are still in hospital.

If you have a quiet word to the nurse, they will allow you to fill it out in alone.

The law recognises the mother's ultimate rights even if these other posters do not. YOU are the one to lodge the birth certificate as YOU are the one who gave birth. You can put any name on there you please and no one can stop you. It is YOUR CHOICE.

You can actually put father unknown on there too, like some women I know have chosen to do, even though they have been happy with the father at the time. Reason being, we have a far stronger type of independant woman in Australia who is far more likely to not want the man involved in the future, than your average Mrs America.

However, I already know that you will probably just cave in to the pressure and give birth to Henry Louis the whatever. If it's THAT important to them, and you still want to be part of that family dynamic, you'll probably have to let this one go.

I actually like the name even if it does sound a bit pretentious. Did you know that Prince Harry is christened Henry? So Harry is an acceptable nickname for Henry, if that helps.

Also, you can have another baby, which you alone can name. They will all owe you that much.

And whoever said I'm probably divorced because of my uncompromising attitude - I'm divorced because he was an abusive sociopath and I can't even DATE men with the same name now as I find it too much of a reminder, so I thank God I didn't name my son that.
Are you for real??? Betraying your partner's (who sounds like he's a good man) trust just so you can choose the name you like best? Seriously???

Old 06-12-2012, 04:50 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Or you could pick a man whom you WANT to be involved in your life. AND the child's. Too 20th century? Conceiving a child to raise with a man you actually WANT in your life 30 years down the line?

(Can't say it's too American because I actually know Aussies who do this.)
That would be a perfect world you're talking about. The world is not perfect, people do end up divorced or being deadbeats. Even if you find Mr Wonderful, it's no guarantee he might not develop a mental illness down the line that completely changes him. Personally I was married to a psycho, another Scott Peterson, so I had no idea who I married for about 10 years, but that's a story for another post.

You all are carrying on about whats "right" and "wrong"...which is fine, but not everyone's life turns out that way, despite all the best intentions and planning.

Don't jump on me because I gave OP some basic legal advice. The law recognises her primacy as the person who actually gave birth and I'm just pointing that out to her.

I could care less what she calls her baby, or if she decides to go the family route - in fact, my advice would be to call the kid Henry. I'm just pointing out she has the ULTIMATE SAY in the eyes of the law.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:52 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope
Reason being, we have a far stronger type of independant woman in Australia who is far more likely to not want the man involved in the future, than your average Mrs America.
Um, speak for yourself there, will ya?

Old 06-12-2012, 04:56 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Quote:
That would be a perfect world you're talking about. The world is not perfect, people do end up divorced or being deadbeats. Even if you find Mr Wonderful, it's no guarantee he might not develop a mental illness down the line that completely changes him. Personally I was married to a psycho, another Scott Peterson, so I had no idea who I married for about 10 years, but that's a story for another post.

You all are carrying on about whats "right" and "wrong"...which is fine, but not everyone's life turns out that way, despite all the best intentions and planning.

Don't jump on me because I gave OP some basic legal advice. The law recognises her primacy as the person who actually gave birth and I'm just pointing that out to her.

I could care less what she calls her baby, or if she decides to go the family route - in fact, my advice would be to call the kid Henry. I'm just pointing out she has the ULTIMATE SAY in the eyes of the law.
That is very true but it does no good to be suspicous of people and plan for the worst. That's a sad way to go through life.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:02 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
I didn't read all 17 pages of posts so someone else has probably already mentioned this, but didn't you realize when you married Henry Louis the fifth that you would be naming your son Henry Louis the sixth, if you have a son? And if your first child is a daughter, there will probably be lots of pressure to have another one, until Henry Louis the sixth comes along.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:17 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
I'm a strong feminist and I think sneaking behind your spouse's back is a sign of a juvenile mentality.
I imagine that's a good reason they are single

Old 06-12-2012, 05:24 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_jimerino View Post
My first is on my way and while reading my books and getting ready I read a section suggesting most men start to think a lot about the relationship they had with their father when they become parents themselves. I have experienced that as well. I really started to think a lot more about my family growing up. Prior to that I didn't give names much thought but I actually started thinking about naming a potential son after my father. My sister beat me to the punch so that was out, but if I were a sixth and had a great relationship with my father and grandfather like in the OP I can see myself becoming galvanized over continuing the tradition. As you revisit your relationship with your father from a different perspective (more as a peer) a new level of respect and admiration is found at what he did for you because you are preparing to make the same sacrifices yourself.
Yep

Becoming a parent is SUPPOSED to make you more introspective and appreciative

Old 06-12-2012, 05:26 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
That may be legally true. And this may be a parenting board. But that is the single worst bit of family/marital advice I have ever seen.
Eh it's comparable to saying she should take one for the team because he has some archaic notion of naming his progeny after himself.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:30 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Oh, yes. That builds a strong, happy marriage built on mutual trust and love.

"Psst! Never mind the dad. There's a fiver in it for you if you put down what I want."
Geesum pete's - thank God she's the minority on this thread.

Anybody advocating purposely doing something so huge as going behind a spouse's back to name their child has no clue what it takes to be successfully married. No clue at all!

I do hope our OP is smarter than to take that advice seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting