Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 11:06 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
But that sounds like the first woman is ready to have a baby and is talking to a friend about it.
Well the way she put it to her friend, her decision to have one was based upon her getting up there in age rather than actually having the desire to have one. She then went on about how doesnt want to look like the childs grandmother by the time the child enters school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 11:22 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
If you want children, then biologically, you should start by the time you're in your mid-30s. So yeah, in that respect, the clock is ticking.

I don't know of anyone who would be offended by someone else's decision to not have children.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:10 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
All you have to do is look around to know that you, as a "child-free by choice" person, are in a minority. People are curious about those who are different from them.

I suspect your co-workers are very curious about why you don't have kids, and after they get used to it they'll back off.

If someone is talking about having kids before a certain age, most likely they want kids anyway. It's not just something you do because you have the capability. If older women are doing the cajoling, it's because they know how much energy it takes to raise kids.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:15 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I heard it just yesterday on the subway. 33 yr old women telling another women that she's moving to a 2br apt because she's getting up there in age and her clock is ticking. The other women told her that she doesnt know what she's waiting for.
Quote:
Well the way she put it to her friend, her decision to have one was based upon her getting up there in age rather than actually having the desire to have one. She then went on about how doesnt want to look like the childs grandmother by the time the child enters school.
For a woman, there is a finite amount of time to have a baby. Someone nearing their mid 30's is correct that they better get on it, or it could be too late. I don't see how this relates to your OP.

Old 06-14-2012, 12:18 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,038 times
Quote:
Well its not said to me but I hear it often whenever I hear (usually 2 women) on the topic. Everyone who knows me pretty much knows my stance when it comes to having children. I'm 32yrs old, dont have any, nor do I want any. I have a 2 month old boston terrier puppy that I call my "son" . I just find it weird that many people speak about having children as if its some sort of mandatory thing you MUST do. I've even had women at the workplace get offended when they ask me if I have any children and I tell them "no". Then they follow up with "well why not" or "do you plan on having any?". I just flat out tell them that I have no interests in having children. Why should this be offensive to anyone? Its my life.
So, not to be offensive but there often seem to be women not interested in having children hanging around the Parenting board. Why?

Old 06-14-2012, 12:28 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
So, not to be offensive but there often seem to be women not interested in having children hanging around the Parenting board. Why?
The childfree by choice feel put upon by parents. It's ridiculous, but there it is. Some child free by choice like to complain about children frequently.

There was an alt.support.childfree on usenet long ago. Most of usenet though is now spam and trolls.

There is a board called childfree life choices I think. You have to have an account though to view their forums

Child Free

Old 06-14-2012, 12:48 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
I heard it just yesterday on the subway. 33 yr old women telling another women that she's moving to a 2br apt because she's getting up there in age and her clock is ticking. The other women told her that she doesnt know what she's waiting for.
So you overheard someones conversation on the subway and you deduce that she is 33 (ok you may have "overheard" that to) and that she feels pressure to have a child although she may not really want one. I think you assume too much. Sounds like normal conversation to me.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:02 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
I always wondered this myself.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:31 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
There is a window within with women are physically capable of having babies. And you do start running out of energy as you age.

Old 06-14-2012, 03:29 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Quote:

Some are quite free with advice on here too which really is offensive. I have no problem with people choosing not to have children or even not to get married but some childfree people on this forum think they know it all about raising children and are so critical. We know who they are and I usually ignore them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting