Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 07:24 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Once he screams it may be too late.

CNN - Suspect arrested in case of boy killed in public bathroom - November 16, 1998

Cover his eyes, and put him in a stall to change if no family facilities are available.
And what of the kids kidnapped from their own beds? Killed in car accidents? Shot in school?

We cannot prevent everything. Stunting normal growth - physical, emotional, mental, social - is not the answer here. At some point, we all must admit we cannot prevent all bad from happening and that most of the time nothing bad will happen.

BTW, that was nearly 14 years ago. Are bathroom killings really that much of a danger?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 07:52 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I remember getting dirty looks from a woman when I brought my TWO year old into the women's locker room. I wanted to smack her. You aint so sexy that you are knocking my toddler's eye out. Get over your self. But that said, family friendly options are helpful.
Once my boys hit a certain age (maybe 3 or 4) we just started to avoid women's locker rooms altogether. We would arrive at the gym/rec center pool already dressed in gym clothes or swimwear and we would leave the gym/rec center in the same clothes. No need to change. If swimsuits were wet, we would just put a towel down on the seat of the car for the ride home. For bathroom visits, I would take them to a non-changing room bathroom within the facility.

For ladies changing rooms at department stores, I would take them in with me when they were very little or put them in the changing room next to me when they got a little older. Once they were around 6, I'd have them sit down against a wall just outside the entrance to the changing room area. They *hated* doing that so I can count on one hand how many times that happened...

Old 06-27-2012, 07:57 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,180,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Once my boys hit a certain age (maybe 3 or 4) we just started to avoid women's locker rooms altogether. We would arrive at the gym/rec center pool already dressed in gym clothes or swimwear and we would leave the gym/rec center in the same clothes. No need to change. If swimsuits were wet, we would just put a towel down on the seat of the car for the ride home. For bathroom visits, I would take them to a non-changing room bathroom within the facility.

Bah I am not going through that because of the evil eye of some biddies. I live in a cold area. I am not taking wet kids out in the snow because some people are full of themselves.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Bah I am not going through that because of the evil eye of some biddies. I live in a cold area. I am not taking wet kids out in the snow because some people are full of themselves.
During the winter, they would just pull on sweatpants over their suits, put on a coat and a hat to get to/from the pool.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:10 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Once he screams it may be too late.

CNN - Suspect arrested in case of boy killed in public bathroom - November 16, 1998

Cover his eyes, and put him in a stall to change if no family facilities are available.
You had to go back to 1998 to find a news story when this was an issue?

Old 06-27-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
During the winter, they would just pull on sweatpants over their suits, put on a coat and a hat to get to/from the pool.
Why would one want to do that over the over sensitivity of someone else? There is no way I am taking my kids out at 10 below in a wet suit, sweat pants or no.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:49 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Our YMCAs and YWCAs had children's changing rooms and adult changing rooms. The girls locker room and boys locker rooms were used by parents to change children of the opposite sex.

Of course if the locker rooms had stalls with curtains that would help as well.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Why would one want to do that over the over sensitivity of someone else? There is no way I am taking my kids out at 10 below in a wet suit, sweat pants or no.
Usually, little boys get to an age where they really dig in their heels about going into a ladies room/ladies fitting room/ladies only area. They would "die" of embarrassment if a kid from school saw them going into one of those places. And I could see where they were getting a bit old for that anyways..

Yet, I thought that they were still too young to really change in the men's room by themselves and the family dressing rooms usually have a line and we were generally under some type of time crunch....so we just stopped using the changing rooms even on cold winter days. It worked fine for us, luckily we don't have too many -10 degree days. That is cold!

Old 06-27-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Usually, little boys get to an age where they really dig in their heels about going into a ladies room/ladies fitting room/ladies only area. They would "die" of embarrassment if a kid from school saw them going into one of those places. And I could see where they were getting a bit old for that anyways..

Yet, I thought that they were still too young to really change in the men's room by themselves and the family dressing rooms usually have a line and we were generally under some type of time crunch....so we just stopped using the changing rooms even on cold winter days. It worked fine for us, luckily we don't have too many -10 degree days. That is cold!

At THREE they are going to die of embarassment? Someone has been wispering weird stuff in their ears if they have any idea that people in the world think nudity is embarassing at three years old.

If they are two young to be in the men's room, then, by definition, they are too young to be a problem in the women's. IMO.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
At THREE they are going to die of embarassment? Someone has been wispering weird stuff in their ears if they have any idea that people in the world think nudity is embarassing at three years old.

If they are two young to be in the men's room, then, by definition, they are too young to be a problem in the women's. IMO.
(Sigh) At some point, they start to notice the differences between male/female body parts. Not long after that, they start being aware of separate bathroom/dressing areas for boys and girls and they don't want another kid seeing them go into the "wrong" bathroom/dressing area....

Can that happen at 3 years old? Yes, probably. Does that mean that they are ready to be alone in the men's room. I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting