Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 08:05 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,901,889 times

Advertisements

If one of these was my kid, he or she would be looking for a new ass because I would be handing them theirs. I would need to get creative to think about how they would be punished over the course of multiple months, but I like the idea of service both to the bus monitor and the community, as well as public and private apologies. I realize this type of cruel behavior is nothing new under the sun but I find it horrifying all the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 08:17 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
I cannot begin to imagine. It's beyond my comprehension how anyone even gets to that point. I've heard comments about "kids today"....I don't think they are representative of most kids. I'd be interested to hear what their parents/family reaction was.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:32 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I cannot begin to imagine. It's beyond my comprehension how anyone even gets to that point. I've heard comments about "kids today"....I don't think they are representative of most kids. I'd be interested to hear what their parents/family reaction was.
Agree 100%.

There is something so seriously wrong with kids who would do that and post it - it's way, way beyond "kids today".

I'd love to hear the family reaction too, but my guess would be it wouldn't be the same as parents on here because they most likely had serious issues long before it got to this point.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:39 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,555,831 times
I think beyond anger and disappointment in my child I would feel a enormous sense of failure as a parent.

I plan on watching this video with my children. They see constructed scenarios in anti-bullying videos, but have never seen anything like this. I think actually seeing for real what all those lectures and campaigns have been talking about will be very impactful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I'd love to hear the family reaction too, but my guess would be it wouldn't be the same as parents on here because they most likely had serious issues long before it got to this point.
Good point.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:40 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
This makes me sad. As everyone else said, there would be hell to pay if one of those kids were mine. I like the idea of working at the monitor's house and at the school.

What I keep wondering is what I would have done if I were her. She's in a captive situation. There is no where for her to go on a moving bus. I wonder if she could have had the driver stop, or call ahead to the school and have the principal meet the bus and take the kids straight to the office. I don't know.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:53 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,272,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
This makes me sad. As everyone else said, there would be hell to pay if one of those kids were mine. I like the idea of working at the monitor's house and at the school.

What I keep wondering is what I would have done if I were her. She's in a captive situation. There is no where for her to go on a moving bus. I wonder if she could have had the driver stop, or call ahead to the school and have the principal meet the bus and take the kids straight to the office. I don't know.
I was wondering about that too. I probably would have called ahead and had the principal meet the bus. Also, I hope that all the kids involved have gotten suspensions from school and have been thrown off the bus. Riding the bus is a priviledge, not a right and we've had kids in our area lose that priviledge.

What a horrid video. The cruelty of kids can really cut you to the heart.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:07 AM

30,246 posts, read 23,716,365 times
If this were my kid, the first thing that would happen is their ass handed to them. The next thing that would happen is a public, in front of all of their peers, apology to this lady. The third thing that would happen is having them spend their summer doing chores for this lady and then, when they got home, do chores around the house.

No phone. No t.v. No internet. No games. No friends over, no going to friend's houses. They would have the worst summer they've ever had in their lives. It would last the entire summer as there is no, "time off for good behavior".

They would also go right ahead and try to get in to a volunteer program helping older people of all sizes so they could learn appreciation that people are more than their "arm flab", (that burned me up!).

And finally, they would seek counseling so we could get to the root of the problem why the hell they feel so crappy about themselves that they felt the need to take out their internal anger on another human being like that.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:32 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
I too would wonder where I'd screwed up as a parent.

And then hellfire would rain down upon their cocky selves in the form of a Come to Jesus lecture about treating other human beings with respect and dignity. (Which, they would learn, would no longer be afforded to them until they proved THEY deserved it.)

The apology to this woman would be delivered on her front porch with hat in hands and eye contact. The word "Ma'm" would be used.

They then would ask for her permission to step on her property to mow her lawn, wash her car, pull weeds, and wash windows. For the forseeable future.

If they were lucky they'd eventually have the door put back on their bathroom. (You take away a person's dignity - you get YOUR dignity taken away.)

Old 06-21-2012, 09:51 AM

30,246 posts, read 23,716,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I too would wonder where I'd screwed up as a parent.

And then hellfire would rain down upon their cocky selves in the form of a Come to Jesus lecture about treating other human beings with respect and dignity. (Which, they would learn, would no longer be afforded to them until they proved THEY deserved it.)

The apology to this woman would be delivered on her front porch with hat in hands and eye contact. The word "Ma'm" would be used.

They then would ask for her permission to step on her property to mow her lawn, wash her car, pull weeds, and wash windows. For the forseeable future.

If they were lucky they'd eventually have the door put back on their bathroom. (You take away a person's dignity - you get YOUR dignity taken away.)
Oooh! Good one!

Old 06-21-2012, 09:56 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times
Oh, I would be so sad and mad if that were my child. I don't know what I'd do. I agree with everyone else - there would be hell to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting