Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 09:12 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times

Advertisements

There's so often denial from the parents of bullies, I hope this is a wake up call for parents to really consider the implications. This is very hard to watch, and NSFW. A group of middle-schoolers mercilessly picked on the school bus monitor, an older lady. 10 minutes of the bullying was recorded by one of the teens, and then posted on YouTube.

NSFW.

Making The Bus Monitor Cry - YouTube#!

Karen Huff Klein Bullying Video: Upsetting Footage Causes Community Outrage (VIDEO) (UPDATE)

Quote:
Karen Huff Klein, a bus monitor for the Greece School District in Greece, N.Y., is receiving an outpouring of support after a ten-minute video of her enduring vicious bullying while watching over students on a bus ride home was uploaded to YouTube.

In the disturbing video, the children can be heard yelling at Klein, calling her an "ugly fat ass" and telling the widow, "you don't have a family because they all killed themselves because they don't want to be near you." Karen Klein said this comment hurt the most, her son took his life 10 years ago.
Quote:
Now, as awful as this was, there was a silver lining in not only the universal condemnation of the actions of these kids, but also in a call for support for this poor woman. Her name is Karen, and she has been a widow for 17 years, has lived in the same town she grew up in and is about to have her 50th high school reunion in the same school district, and deserves so much better than the actions shown by those in this video. $52, 000 has been raised so far for this woman.
CALL TO ARMS. PLEASE READ. : UpliftingNews

Last edited by Zimbochick; 06-20-2012 at 09:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 09:28 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
I'd be kicking my kid's ass into next week. THEN his father can have at him.

Honestly, my kid would have some serious hell to pay. Not only a personal PUBLIC apology to his/her victim, but unpaid extra work around the house, no allowance, since he/she won't be seeing the light of day any time soon, ZERO privileges, NO SOCIAL LIFE, and serious kissing of my butt in order to earn anything back in his/her foreseeable lifetime (or 6 months, depending on my mood).

BULLYING PISSES ME OFF!

Old 06-20-2012, 09:48 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
I can't watch right now but am sure it must be sickening. I agree with steelstress, but the unpaid work would be at Karen's house, and the school.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:40 AM

483 posts, read 1,559,707 times
How do I volunteer to be monitor on that bus? If they speak to me like that I'd shove my shoe down their throat. While my foot is still in it. Little pricks!!!

Their parents should be sterilized too.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:24 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
I can't watch the video. Maybe it's residual crap from being bullied as a child/teen but those types of videos make me very sad, angry and upset.

If my children EVER bully there will be some serious hell to pay. Like steelstress, I would punish swiftly and severely. Bullying is something I do not take lightly.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:34 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,693 times
I only got about three minutes into it. OMG if my kid was one of those kids she would have HELL to pay. HELL. By the time I was done with her she would tremble if she so much as THOUGHT about ever doing something like that again!

What I would be interested to know is what, if any, consequences did these little brats have? When I was a kid, you could get suspended off the bus quicker than you could get suspended from school. If you acted up on the bus, the bus driver gave a note to the principal and the principal called your parents. Why is this poor woman sitting on the bus "monitoring?" Just to take abuse?

I would love to see the reaction now of these kids and their parents. I'd be willing to bet some of these parents are ready to jump up with their excuses for their kid's behavior. The ones who aren't should be the ones setting up fundraisers and support groups for their kid's victim, along with begging this woman for forgiveness, AND removing that damn humiliating video from YouTube at the very least.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:13 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Infuriating. Yes, if a child of mine were involved in this, I really cannot imagine how I would make sure he/she were punished appropriately. I do think it would include a LOT of interaction with older citizens. But he/she would have to do many months of service work of some type, and lose all privileges for a very very long time. Plus a public and a private apology and doing errands or clean up work around Karen's house.

This is disgusting and indicative of how children treat each other, as well. Bullying is damaging on so many levels.

Just a note: they reported on a TV report last nite that the contributions had reached $99K. :-)

Old 06-21-2012, 07:24 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
What I would be interested to know is what, if any, consequences did these little brats have? When I was a kid, you could get suspended off the bus quicker than you could get suspended from school. If you acted up on the bus, the bus driver gave a note to the principal and the principal called your parents.
I remember that too. A bus driver could give the dreaded "referral" (sending a kid to the principal's office) and/or permanently kick a child off the bus.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:37 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I remember that too. A bus driver could give the dreaded "referral" (sending a kid to the principal's office) and/or permanently kick a child off the bus.
Not only that, as the kid, I'd have been crapping my pants all day in anticipation of seeing my parents when they got home, because they already knew.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:39 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,691 times
Kids are quite dumb nowadays. Taking videos and posting them on the internet is just asking to be caught. When you do something as heinous as this, they are setting themselves up to be roasted by a large number of people, as they should.

I don't care if people say they are young, these kids should be called out and forced to suffer in some way. Hopefully they will never be allowed on another school bus and will have to be driven by their parents. They should also be suspended and forced to give a public apology in front of the entire school and the women herself. She is a school employee and harassing her is no different than harassing a teachers or administrator. Some for of public service would be a nice addition. Picking up trash on the highway or town roads every weekend for 2 months would do.

The school should come down very hard on them and send a message to other kids that this kind of behavior is not to be tolerated. If their parents complain, which they just might given how overly protective parents are of their children in this day in age(especially involving school), I'd simply laugh at them and tell them this is how it is going to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting