U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 07:25 AM

54,913 posts, read 53,683,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
At least one of them forgets or is mad at me every year. I think I might start to wonder if it was the same kid every year but it’s not.

I remember when I was 16 & I didn’t get my dad a birthday present one year & my mom really laid on the guilt trip thick. I mean I was sort of impervious back then & she had me feeling so bad, I had him something by dinner time! It’s part of growing up. Can’t get away with those glued pieces of macaroni on a sheet of construction paper forever ...
One of my most memorable Mother's Day gifts was when my daughter was 9 or 10 and gave me a little figurine of a kid holding a sign that said, "I love you Mom" or some such sentiment, and my daughter proudly said, "And look at the bottom, Mom! It was on the half-price table!" Sure enough, the bottom had a sticker with the price slashed out and marked "50% off".

Years later she would send me a card that said, "Thank you for teaching me never to pay full price for anything."

I felt as though I'd done my job!

Old 05-14-2019, 12:50 PM

5,308 posts, read 5,214,730 times
Yes but I am not offended and do not take it personally.

I don't really care at all actually. It matters a lot more what kind of person my kid is and how they treat me and others day to day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 01:41 PM

54,913 posts, read 53,683,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
If my 18yo gave me glued macaroni, I would be over the moon! So damned funny!
I saw a Stonehenge made of ziti once. I'd be very impressed with that as a gift.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:08 PM

13,098 posts, read 20,572,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
One of my most memorable Mother's Day gifts was when my daughter was 9 or 10 and gave me a little figurine of a kid holding a sign that said, "I love you Mom" or some such sentiment, and my daughter proudly said, "And look at the bottom, Mom! It was on the half-price table!" Sure enough, the bottom had a sticker with the price slashed out and marked "50% off".

Years later she would send me a card that said, "Thank you for teaching me never to pay full price for anything."

I felt as though I'd done my job!
I love this! I started working at a thrift store a few years back, and feel the same way.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:37 PM

5,285 posts, read 3,333,727 times
Not everyone believes that a phone call is necessary on every manufactured holiday, especially Mother's Day.

Many people do not recognize imposed manufactured holidays. And not every year.

Honoring a person can take place at any time (and multiple times, if desired and if opportunity presents) during any given year.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:34 PM

1,128 posts, read 762,546 times
Everyone knows that it’s a manufactured holiday, so is thanksgiving, the 4th of July etc... exception of religious holidays... we all know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The op, said that she would have been happy with even just a phone call, her feelings were hurt and understandably so.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:04 PM

5,285 posts, read 3,333,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post

The op, said that she would have been happy with even just a phone call, her feelings were hurt and understandably so.
As I said right above your post at my post #105, not everyone believes that a phone call is necessary on Mother's Day or any other holiday.

A phone call on Mother's Day as being necessary is just not something that everyone agrees with, and everyone should not assume that it is a requirement, agreed upon as necessary, desired by everyone, and deemed important by adult children. It just is not.

I do not believe in phone calls at Christmas either.

You picked up the manufactured holiday part, and ignored the fact that a phone call is certainly not agree upon by everyone as being important. I never called on Mother's Day or any other holiday or birthday. I just don't believe in it and never did.

It is NOT universally agreed upon among ALL adult children that a phone call on Mother's Day or any other holiday is important or required or a universal expectation.

Not everyone is phone-centric and obsessed with phoning. I always sent cards and did not phone.

Last edited by matisse12; 05-15-2019 at 12:28 PM..

Old 05-15-2019, 12:38 PM

10,224 posts, read 14,092,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
It is NOT universally agreed upon among ALL adult children that a phone call on Mother's Day or any other holiday is important or required or a universal expectation.

Not everyone is phone-centric and obsessed with phoning. I always sent cards and did not phone.
Wouldn't the important part be what your mother's (or other family member's) expectations are? I mean it's one thing to say that an adult child doesn't think it's important, but if their parent thinks it is, and it doesn't happen, then it creates unnecessary problems. IMO if it's important to one party that should automatically mean it is important to both parties, in a healthy relationship.
In this case if the mom thinks a phone call on the given holiday is important then it becomes important to a child who wants to make their parent happy. I've already stated that I personally don't care about such things, but I do understand that for other people they are hurt because nobody wants to think their kids don't care about what they want. It doesn't really matter if a child thinks their parent is right, wrong, or just silly for wanting whatever it is they want, it's hurtful to be denied that want.

Last edited by DubbleT; 05-15-2019 at 01:39 PM..

Old 05-15-2019, 02:01 PM

1,128 posts, read 762,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
As I said right above your post at my post #105, not everyone believes that a phone call is necessary on Mother's Day or any other holiday.

A phone call on Mother's Day as being necessary is just not something that everyone agrees with, and everyone should not assume that it is a requirement, agreed upon as necessary, desired by everyone, and deemed important by adult children. It just is not.

I do not believe in phone calls at Christmas either.

You picked up the manufactured holiday part, and ignored the fact that a phone call is certainly not agree upon by everyone as being important. I never called on Mother's Day or any other holiday or birthday. I just don't believe in it and never did.

I phoned my parents at least once a week and my kids the same plus holidays, whether "manufactured" or not my parents appreciated it and their feelings mattered more.

You are entitled to your beliefs and good for you, not everyone thinks the way you do and that's good for them and the op was hurt and is also entitled to her feelings.

Old Yesterday, 05:35 AM

3,923 posts, read 3,143,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
Everyone knows that it’s a manufactured holiday, so is thanksgiving, the 4th of July etc... exception of religious holidays... we all know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Religious holidays are the biggest manufactured holidays of them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or