Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 07:49 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post

My daughter came out of her bedroom while I was making breakfast this morning, and I said, "it's mother's day!" She said "I know." Then nothing.
Why did you say that to her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 08:01 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
It's a made up holiday invented to drum up sales during a slow period. Everyday is mother's day or father's day. It could be me that was in the emergency room with the newly diagnosed cancer (me, kid, wife, anyone) or the plethora of other major issues real people have everyday.

Getting all boo hoo over a card or not nice enough gift or whatever is pretty ridiculous. Try and not just be a sheep. If you're unhappy with how you're treated part of that is on you, one day of over priced card isn't going to change that.
Mother's Day in the US has an interesting history; it's more than a "made-up holiday".
Mother’s Day - Holidays - HISTORY.com

There are a variety of "Mother's Day" celebrations throughout the world.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother%27s_Day

Old 05-15-2017, 08:25 AM

2,956 posts, read 2,341,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Mother's Day in the US has an interesting history; it's more than a "made-up holiday".
Mother’s Day - Holidays - HISTORY.com

There are a variety of "Mother's Day" celebrations throughout the world.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother%27s_Day
You're right, from your link

Mother’s Day is a holiday honoring motherhood that is observed in different forms throughout the world. The American incarnation of Mother’s Day was created by Anna Jarvis in 1908 and became an official U.S. holiday in 1914. Jarvis would later denounce the holiday’s commercialization and spent the latter part of her life trying to remove it from the calendar.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:51 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I don't know. I guess so she would say "happy mother's day!" to me.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:49 PM

1,065 posts, read 597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Or father's day for that matter? I"m asking b/c my dd did it again--she didn't even bother to say MD, much less get a card or a little gift or anything. I might have been ok with it if she hadn't needed a ride to the mall yesterday to get her dad a belated something--since yesterday was the only day all week that he had time for her. Of course I'm the custodial parent and he's the one who left. I told her my feelings and she's turning it around to something that I just want material goods but I told her I would have been happy with a homemade card--something that showed a little bit of thought.

If people are thoughtful throughout the year, it's not a big deal.

The dad is more of a novelty, for her, right now.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:53 PM

1,065 posts, read 597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No one must expect him to do that. Or taught him to do that.
I think you're on to something...I sent my sister in law a bathrobe after the first baby, never received a thank you. She received it, because I called and asked. Five children later, not one has sent me a thank you card for gifts over the years.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:00 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
She basically guilted her into saying it; what did she expect?

Old 05-15-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I don't know. I guess so she would say "happy mother's day!" to me.
Yeah, I figured.

My dad used to do that. The minute I would open my bedroom door, he'd be like, "It's your mom's birthday. Be sure to tell her happy birthday," before I'd even had a chance to say it WITHOUT prompting. It used to tick me off so much.

Not cool.

Old 05-15-2017, 02:09 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Yeah, I figured.

My dad used to do that. The minute I would open my bedroom door, he'd be like, "It's your mom's birthday. Be sure to tell her happy birthday," before I'd even had a chance to say it WITHOUT prompting. It used to tick me off so much.

Not cool.
I bet anything that in the past, HE'D forgotten once, and was merely trying to protect you from the consequences!

Old 05-15-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I bet anything that in the past, HE'D forgotten once, and was merely trying to protect you from the consequences!
My parents are super-weird about holiday acknowledgement. If I don't call them by 8 or 9 am on the holiday or a birthday, they get all pouty. It's horrible.

Nowadays, he is on Facebook, and I noticed that he tells US happy birthday there they day BEFORE our birthdays. Like it's a contest! LOL

So ... happy freakin' birthday!!

I love 'em though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting