Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 12:19 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,804,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
My stepson didn't do anything or get anything for me. I don't really care b/c i'm not his 'real' mother so it's fine
Your stepson is a teenager, right? Did your husband do anything?

I was a stepmom before I was a biological mom and my husband always made a big deal of the holiday when my skids were little(we had physical custody of them for 10 years). They made me something at school as well, since they both had a lot of academic concerns and I was the one talking to the teachers all the time.

Now they're adults. I did not hear from them yesterday, nor did I expect to. But I had a lovely day with my husband and son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 12:33 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Your stepson is a teenager, right? Did your husband do anything?

I was a stepmom before I was a biological mom and my husband always made a big deal of the holiday when my skids were little(we had physical custody of them for 10 years). They made me something at school as well, since they both had a lot of academic concerns and I was the one talking to the teachers all the time.

Now they're adults. I did not hear from them yesterday, nor did I expect to. But I had a lovely day with my husband and son.
He didn't, but it's fine. My husband is not a gift person. He didn't even get his own mother. It's just not something his family does. He siblings didn't either. They also don't give gifts for birthdays. It's odd but could also be cultural.

I don't need materialistic things anyway. I spent time with them, so it's enough.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:12 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
We don't celebrate the Hallmark holidays in my family. However, I don't think my son has ever missed calling and saying "Happy Mother's Day".

No cards, gifts, or flowers, though, and that certainly doesn't ruin my life. I can't imagine getting hurt feelings over such a thing as not getting a gift on a manufactured holiday. A waste of time and emotion.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:01 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
We don't celebrate the Hallmark holidays in my family. However, I don't think my son has ever missed calling and saying "Happy Mother's Day".

No cards, gifts, or flowers, though, and that certainly doesn't ruin my life. I can't imagine getting hurt feelings over such a thing as not getting a gift on a manufactured holiday. A waste of time and emotion.
I got hurt by my eldest. He woke up and immediately started complaining about what I didn't get him at the store. He is a loving and wonderful person, but clueless as a brick sometimes. I told them, jeez you know before you **** all over me, maybe Happy Mother's Day? We kissed and made up.

My youngest wrote me a very nice letter. In it she wrote that when he is older and rich, she will give me presents. I told her I never want any presents for Mother's Day. Just an I love you is all I want.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:32 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Yeah. I've done in myself and had it done to me. Circumstances have caused forgetfulness sometimes. It doesn't matter to me, it's just one day out of 365 days and I've never been a slave to the calendar. I have a good relationship with my mom and my adult children so it's no big deal. If it IS a big deal to anyone they should make sure people know it and know what's expected of them and maybe even make plans for it themselves. My eldest does this for her own BD every year and it's always a hit.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:11 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
I'm not a mother, so I don't get anything out of this

Well - some years i did get flowers from my fur babies. This year some cookies.

anyway - we would always do something for our mom - she raised 11 kids after all. But i don't see the same being done for the females in my family that decided to reproduce.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:14 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
One of my sisters, who knew I was going to the brunch with my mother, another sister, our daughters, and others, texted me to "tell Mom I said Happy Mother's Day". I texted back, "No, you call her later and talk to her yourself."

No way was I going to pass along second-hand Mother's Day wishes. C'mon. Our mother is 90. You can't give her a five-minute phone call? I know it's a pain to call my mother because she can't hear and pretends she can and so the phone conversations don't make sense half the time, but so what. It's Mother's Day. Just call her.
yea - that is so wrong

Old 05-14-2019, 12:52 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
At least one of them forgets or is mad at me every year. I think I might start to wonder if it was the same kid every year but it’s not.

I remember when I was 16 & I didn’t get my dad a birthday present one year & my mom really laid on the guilt trip thick. I mean I was sort of impervious back then & she had me feeling so bad, I had him something by dinner time! It’s part of growing up. Can’t get away with those glued pieces of macaroni on a sheet of construction paper forever ...

Old 05-14-2019, 04:23 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
At least one of them forgets or is mad at me every year. I think I might start to wonder if it was the same kid every year but it’s not.

I remember when I was 16 & I didn’t get my dad a birthday present one year & my mom really laid on the guilt trip thick. I mean I was sort of impervious back then & she had me feeling so bad, I had him something by dinner time! It’s part of growing up. Can’t get away with those glued pieces of macaroni on a sheet of construction paper forever ...
If my 18yo gave me glued macaroni, I would be over the moon! So damned funny!

Old 05-14-2019, 07:23 AM

88,577 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

I laughed at that, because I was pretty sure Mother's Day began before Hallmark was a company. (It did, two years before the company was formed.) But interestingly, the founder of Mother's Day herself became appalled at the commercialization of the holiday and tried to have it rescinded.

Obviously, she was not successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting