U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-23-2012, 10:53 AM
 
Location: IL
12,145 posts, read 5,968,176 times
Reputation: 11731

Advertisements

Hmm, mom says the kid has a 504 because of the Albinism. What the heck is in the plan, apart from social stuff, if not information on dealing with sun and light exposure?

Also you will note in her blog she says there is a "no hats at school" rule, she does not say hats were not allowed at field day. All schools that I am aware have a "no hats at school" rule, I have never heard this applied to field day, and I'd be willing to be this does not apply to field day at that school either.

As an aside, prior to my kids field days there is information plastered everywhere regarding expectations for sun safety. There is information on the school web site, the teachers blogs, notes sent home to parents, the kids are given a talk, yadda yadda, and still kids come unprepared. I usually volunteer to help out, and instead of doing what is assigned, I spend my time finding appropriate clothing or shoes for kids so they can participate, let alone phoning to try and track down parents for sunscreen. It is hugely time-consuming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-23-2012, 11:07 AM
 
Location: NC
617 posts, read 465,115 times
Reputation: 1360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
While I think the school/teachers/other parents were totally remiss for not calling the mom and figuring out what to do, this mom's story doesn't quite add up. Sending a child with Albinism off to field day wearing a tank top and no hat? Seriously? This a a parent who claims to know how to deal with this issue, and yet says she didn't use sunscreen because it was forecast to be overcast? Anyone, particularly those with sun sensitivity, know that the presence of clouds means squat. Sorry, but this mom may say she takes responsibility, looks to me like she would like to blame everyone else.
I agree with you. Tried to rep, but apparently I give you too much rep.

If I was the parent here, I probably would have tried to volunteer for the event knowing what being outside for a long time could potentially do my a child with albinism.

And for those who don't know...as Zimbochick states - clouds do NOT block UV rays. Cloudy days can be just as bad for sunburns as sunny days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2012, 11:25 AM
 
Location: Pa
33,756 posts, read 19,816,322 times
Reputation: 17951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans&Cornbread View Post
I agree with you. Tried to rep, but apparently I give you too much rep.

If I was the parent here, I probably would have tried to volunteer for the event knowing what being outside for a long time could potentially do my a child with albinism.

Uv Rays burn you even on cloudy days.

Yeah tell this to the idiots I work with. Lol

Last edited by JustJulia; 06-23-2012 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: fixed html tag
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2012, 11:33 AM
 
5,948 posts, read 2,914,569 times
Reputation: 7070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Hmm, mom says the kid has a 504 because of the Albinism. What the heck is in the plan, apart from social stuff, if not information on dealing with sun and light exposure?

Also you will note in her blog she says there is a "no hats at school" rule, she does not say hats were not allowed at field day. All schools that I am aware have a "no hats at school" rule, I have never heard this applied to field day, and I'd be willing to be this does not apply to field day at that school either.

As an aside, prior to my kids field days there is information plastered everywhere regarding expectations for sun safety. There is information on the school web site, the teachers blogs, notes sent home to parents, the kids are given a talk, yadda yadda, and still kids come unprepared. I usually volunteer to help out, and instead of doing what is assigned, I spend my time finding appropriate clothing or shoes for kids so they can participate, let alone phoning to try and track down parents for sunscreen. It is hugely time-consuming.
I agree that kids shouldn't come unprepared. I totally agree with that. I'm not excusing the parent's part.

However, while the kid is in the care of the school, somebody has to do something, even if it means taking the kid out of the field day. No appropriate clothing or sunscreen, no kid out in the sun for five hours. Let the parent deal with the fallout from the child. Maybe next time the child will remember, because ultimately the child is responsible for their own skin care/clothing at some point. The parent can't be around to apply sunscreen all the time.

To just let them get that sunburned because the parent effed up is irresponsible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2012, 11:37 AM
 
Location: IL
12,145 posts, read 5,968,176 times
Reputation: 11731
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I agree that kids shouldn't come unprepared. I totally agree with that. I'm not excusing the parent's part.

However, while the kid is in the care of the school, somebody has to do something, even if it means taking the kid out of the field day. No appropriate clothing or sunscreen, no kid out in the sun for five hours. Let the parent deal with the fallout from the child. Maybe next time the child will remember, because ultimately the child is responsible for their own skin care/clothing at some point. The parent can't be around to apply sunscreen all the time.

To just let them get that sunburned because the parent effed up is irresponsible.
I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2012, 11:40 AM
 
Location: East of Seattle, originally from SF Bay Area
14,470 posts, read 17,433,615 times
Reputation: 9911
Fortunately we don't have to worry about this problem, with little or no sun during the school year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2012, 12:11 PM
 
3,518 posts, read 2,882,613 times
Reputation: 5350
Why did she take them to the hospital? The burns look painful but all a doctor would do is tell them to drink lots of water, use cool compresses, take an aspirin, and apply aloe vera. Definitely overkill and probably a great way to manipulate the blame away from her by saying "The school let my kids get so badly burned they had to go to the hospital!!!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2012, 12:26 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
5,717 posts, read 3,707,926 times
Reputation: 9737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Hmm, mom says the kid has a 504 because of the Albinism. What the heck is in the plan, apart from social stuff, if not information on dealing with sun and light exposure?

Also you will note in her blog she says there is a "no hats at school" rule, she does not say hats were not allowed at field day. All schools that I am aware have a "no hats at school" rule, I have never heard this applied to field day, and I'd be willing to be this does not apply to field day at that school either.

As an aside, prior to my kids field days there is information plastered everywhere regarding expectations for sun safety. There is information on the school web site, the teachers blogs, notes sent home to parents, the kids are given a talk, yadda yadda, and still kids come unprepared. I usually volunteer to help out, and instead of doing what is assigned, I spend my time finding appropriate clothing or shoes for kids so they can participate, let alone phoning to try and track down parents for sunscreen. It is hugely time-consuming.
I laughed out loud at your comment because of something I overheard our secretary tell a parent on one of our field days. Apparently the child came to school wearing a fancy dress and flip-flops (thongs) on field day and called her mom to bring approproprate clothes, tennis shoes, a hat, sunscreen, etc.

Mom came to school absolutely irate and was yelling at the secretary saying, " We were never informed about field day!!!!" This was probably the tenth parent that day that yelled at the secretary saying basically the same thing so she was prepared. The secretary calmly held up about eight notices that had been sent home within the previous two months and said "I would suggest that you read the information in your child's Thursday Office Folder more carefully. Also, Mrs. Smith (the child's teacher) told me that she had sent home three notices about what to wear on field day, including one sent home yesterday."

In this case (which rarely happens), the parent apologized to the secretary for yelling at her and said that she was usually "too busy" to read the things that came home from school.

And, some people wonder why school staff get "burned out".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2012, 01:24 PM
 
14,514 posts, read 8,772,324 times
Reputation: 6779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans&Cornbread View Post
I agree with you. Tried to rep, but apparently I give you too much rep.

If I was the parent here, I probably would have tried to volunteer for the event knowing what being outside for a long time could potentially do my a child with albinism.

And for those who don't know...as Zimbochick states - clouds do NOT block UV rays. Cloudy days can be just as bad for sunburns as sunny days.
While I can see how cloudy days still emit UV rays, I've *never* had a sunburn while being out during an overcast day. And I burn *snap* like that in the sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2012, 02:03 PM
 
5,566 posts, read 6,433,874 times
Reputation: 4574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Uv Rays burn you even on cloudy days.

Yeah tell this to the idiots I work with. Lol
Yes.. Seattle/Western Wa is one of the most cloudiest regions in the US... and still shockingly has a high rate of skin cancer. In some cases, more than AZ!

http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/skin/statistics/state.htm

This thread talks about it and one poster clarified that that particular stat (in the link above) doesn't cover basal, just melanoma:

AZ has low skin cancer rates!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Fortunately we don't have to worry about this problem, with little or no sun during the school year.
Hem.... It happened here. Down in Tacoma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:46 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top