U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-27-2012, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Australia
4,008 posts, read 2,408,614 times
Reputation: 6534
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Absolutely!

(I'll admit to being afraid I'd get attacked by the "But they'll poke an eye out with the wooden spoon!" crowd.)

Well, they'll only do it once.

LOL my friend was 30 and still would not drive with a lollipop in her mouth because her mother told her if she had a car accident, the stick would sever her spine and kill her instantly.

I mean, FFS.....!

I've NEVER heard of a kid poking its own eye out, have you? I can just visualise one sat on the kitchen floor holding it up like an olive on a toothpick...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-27-2012, 08:35 PM
 
18,869 posts, read 14,498,156 times
Reputation: 24801
The issue is his age...that whole "object permanence" issue....if he can't see you....you are "gone", so he cries. Just get an activity center...bouncy disc...drag it around the house. Put him in there...he will play...but still have you in view. Turn on some music too...they love Barney.

I am not so sure about a tub of Cherrios...hmmm....my dog would just have kept eating it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2012, 09:34 PM
 
Location: Texas
27,795 posts, read 22,288,690 times
Reputation: 32927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I don't know why you're getting offended for... It wasn't bad advice. .
Wasn't offended at the advice, though I don't agree with it (and neither does my wife). We are not indulgent people in general. In fact, I am asian...in our culture, you hold your baby. There is a reason that colic is entirely a western phenomenon. We go tiger mother and discipline like crazy when the kid can understand. When he can understand what is going on.

I was offended by the bon bon Oprah comment. It was completely off-thread and it was unnecessary for that poster to dredge up and spew whatever pent up resentment she clearly has against whoever didn't help her with her baby. That's not how we operate in this house. In this house, everyone is always busting their butts.

I think that what is missing here is understanding that when I am with my kid, I am not trying to get anything else done.
I do my workout and my chores/errands in the morning. Then I have him all afternoon (5 to 6 hours). So that's just our time, then. I'm not trying to accomplish anything else. I just want to be with my son.
So I need to know the best way to spend that time with him, how to stimulate his brain, what I can teach him, etc. I have looked on line as to his age, etc, and I can see the milestones and stuff, but it doesn't really outline the activities that would be most advantageous. And entertaining.

I can appreciate and respect that any person who was always alone with the baby and never had any other help, etc, would really be looking for ways to get a moment for themselves. But each of us splits time with this kiddo...so whichever adult is looking after him is not obligated to try to get chores done or go do anything else when it's their time with him. And sometimes, we all hang out together (when we go swimming, etc). Baby time = baby time.

I just want it to be good and swell and fun baby time for him.

Thanks so much to the posters who had so many good ideas! He really loves to hit stuff, so pots and pans coming out next!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2012, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Texas
27,795 posts, read 22,288,690 times
Reputation: 32927
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post

I've NEVER heard of a kid poking its own eye out, have you? I can just visualise one sat on the kitchen floor holding it up like an olive on a toothpick...
Yeeaaaaah...but as a physician, I get to see every horrible outcome of everything that happens to everyone.

I haven't seen a lollipop, but I have seen a pencil jammed in a kid's throat.

The BB in the eye thing...happens way more often than you'd think. You'd have to be nuts to give your kid a BB gun. Better a real gun and teach him respect for firearms and proper use and stowing. Not these kids running around the streets shooting BBs and pellets at each other all unsupervised with no eyewear, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2012, 10:11 PM
 
Location: West Jordan, UT
973 posts, read 1,070,741 times
Reputation: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Nah...the dog licks him, his paci falls on the floor, etc....we don't oversanitize. Feel it's better for his immune system.
Lol I say that too. My dd sucks her fingers (at 7 she still does ) and I'm sure she's eaten a lot of dirt. Lol she is rarely sick, but, maybe it's just her? Lol

I wore my dd for the 1st year. Before, I tried not holding 'too much', we were both miserable. Keep in mind, my DS is 12 1/2 mos older than my dd. All my friends kids seemed to do fine in pack n plays, neither of mine spent more than 2 seconds there w/o getting upset. I baby proofed and let my kids at it.

My best advice? Do what works. Lol my kids also both coslept. We got nasty comments for that and lots of judgement. I don't judge others. My kids are now 7 and 8 and pretty good kiddos. not perfect, of course, but kind, respectful kids.

At 7 mos, my dd wanted held, and was. My DS mostly loved to play with this crinkly butterfly. Lol when my DS was 7mos, I was 4 mos preggo with dd. When dd was 7 mos, DS was 19 1/2 mos, and had only been walking for 2 mos. I mainly tried to stay sane. Just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2012, 05:10 AM
 
2,047 posts, read 2,216,340 times
Reputation: 1911
At 7mths old, he entertains you, not the other way around However, I will say, try not to do something different every 5mins just because he gets a sad face. Sounds like he is already wearing you out and has learned to play you like a fiddle...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2012, 06:55 AM
 
2,202 posts, read 2,536,886 times
Reputation: 3091
I imagine the upside to this situation is free birth control; I mean, who has the energy?

The downside is not so much the dad's exhaustion, but the constant attention his son is going to need from every adult he encounters later in life, relatives, daycare providers, teachers, etc. If given continuous attention now, that will become ingrained that everyone should be ever aware of this child's growing need for stimulation and feedback during every waking hour of the day. When he doesn't get it, I'm not sure what will develop.

Hell, I'm tired just typing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2012, 07:02 AM
 
8,012 posts, read 3,651,062 times
Reputation: 9540
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think that what is missing here is understanding that when I am with my kid, I am not trying to get anything else done.
The point you are missing, I think, is that at some point, it is not going to be good for HIM to expect to be constantly entertained. It will deny him the opportunity to learn the necessary skill of entertaining himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2012, 07:17 AM
 
Location: Texas
27,795 posts, read 22,288,690 times
Reputation: 32927
Not sure where people are getting the idea that constant attention now will translate into needing it later.

I think that is a false premise with which to begin your argument.

Each stage of life and development comes with different needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2012, 07:54 AM
 
4,267 posts, read 2,890,664 times
Reputation: 3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Not sure where people are getting the idea that constant attention now will translate into needing it later.

I think that is a false premise with which to begin your argument.

Each stage of life and development comes with different needs.
I agree with you, 100%. It's like saying, if you don't start teaching your 7 month old to drive the car now, he'll never learn.

I remembered something else that I did with my oldest when she was a baby. We danced, a lot. She still loves the music we danced to when she was a baby and it was anything but "kid music". "Kid music" can be fun though too. Both my 6 year old and toddler love listening to a Sandra Boynton CD and many Dan Zanes CD's and dancing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:51 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top