Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 09:50 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
All kids know they shouldn't take drugs, but it's worth teaching them becoming an adult doesn't mean you're suddenly immune to all the pitfalls and you now have free reign to do what you want.
That's an EXCELLENT point. There's no switch in the brain at 18 that changes the effects drugs have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 11:05 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
No but I've read articles about moms and dads, mostly moms ripping the professor a new one because their little precious didn't get a grade to their liking.

It's a time for independence and growth, not mommy and daddy coming to an orientation at a college, where they tell you to talk to your ADULT children about drug use. That doesn't sound like a college orientation, it sounds like something a school would do for incoming 6th graders in middle school.

No wonder my generation is so incapable of doing anything without mommy and daddy.
Colleges shouldn't involve parents very much, they're adults if they get in trouble, the school shouldn't be calling mom and dad, you let them handle it on their own, because when you call the parents then mommy and daddy just dole out their own punishment and Jr. is 18/19 and still getting grounded and he never learns to grow up because he spends all 4 years in college being treated like he was in high school.
Don't you still live with your mother?

Old 07-11-2012, 11:08 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

I thought she lived with her boyfriend's parents.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I thought she lived with her boyfriend's parents.
I see how she is "independent" then.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:45 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times
Quote:
I see how she is "independent" then.
Ill DM you both and save myself the ban.

Last edited by txtqueen; 07-11-2012 at 07:55 PM..

Old 07-11-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
No but I was very incapable of doing the things I have mentioned. I have been out for about 8-9 months now and I have learned a lot which is why I say the things I have said here. I can speak from experience.

My life is the reasoning behind my beliefs.

I was so incapable of doing anything, after being out for awhile I can see WHY things were like that, I can confidently say parents who do the same things I have talked about raise children like the way I was, I broke that mold and became independent.

I am not trying to make this about me but I am just saying that I KNOW why these kids are this way and the effects it can have on them making it in the real world.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Ill DM you both and save myself the ban.
Personal attacks via DM are against the TOS as well.

Quote:
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/9...rum-rules.html

Old 07-12-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Personal attacks via DM are against the TOS as well.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/9...rum-rules.html

I bet snide, off-basis, off-topic heresay based remarks in threads that are about something else are against the TOS as well.

I don't bite as long as you don't pet against the fur...

Anyways.
I forgot what I was....oh yeah anyways.

If you really want to deter your kids from doing drugs, have them talk to one of those spokes people who used to do drugs, have that person talk to them about jail and what drugs do to your body and your life and friends and family. I think the best people to listen to are the ones who have been there and done that.

Johnny KhakiGoodyTwoShoes who preaches about the dangers of drugs has no real clue about drugs.
But Spike Excon who used to be jacked up on meth and in jail and on the streets and cleaned up knows what it's like.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:47 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:

Johnny KhakiGoodyTwoShoes who preaches about the dangers of drugs has no real clue about drugs.
But Spike Excon who used to be jacked up on meth and in jail and on the streets and cleaned up knows what it's like.
Of course, JohnnyKhakiGoodyTwoShoes could be a doctor by now, and very well informed about the dangers of drugs.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:52 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Of course, JohnnyKhakiGoodyTwoShoes could be a doctor by now, and very well informed about the dangers of drugs.
Wish I could rep but....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting