Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 12:12 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times

Advertisements

Video tape it and show to your doctor.

What you describe does not sound like non-normal to me. We had kids whose eyes rolled back when they slept and two who slept with their eyes completely open (erie!).

My daughters used to get so excited when I cam home from work they would shiver with tremors. Turned out they were just really excited and happy. Mom woudl pump them up for an hour "Daddy will be home soon!" They just got over excited. Another child woudl do a wierd head shiver thing when he wanted somethign from his siblings. A lot of this stuff just happens.

We had a friend whose son would bank his head agaisn thte wall for ten minutes before falling asleep. He grew out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2012, 11:15 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
I saw a TV show once where the baby boy was having similar symptoms to your dd's and after all the tests, it turned out that he had celiac. You just never know and he had no gastric symptoms--just seizure-like activity. I'd go with your gut instinct--if you suspect something is not right with your child, don't leave them alone until they're willing to find answers.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:15 PM

17,374 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Maybe it's a tensional outlet for your daughter? Those happen when a child's immature nervous system is going from an alert/awake state to a calm/relaxed state. Try googling "Tensional Outlet" and see if that might be it.

Last edited by springfieldva; 07-14-2012 at 12:42 PM..

Old 07-14-2012, 03:58 PM

530 posts, read 1,163,533 times
Eye rolling when a child is sleeping is normal. That usually is just REM sleep. If her eyes are rolling when she is awake, then that would be a concern. Also, the way you describe her legs, it sounds to me like stretching, but maybe it is a little more involved.

As for the EEG, it is true they can miss a seizure problem. However, I don't think they really treat kids unless it is determined that the seizures are interfering with life. One of my kids, for example, did technically "fail" an EEG, and they still didn't really do anything for her because it wasn't considered to be a large enough negative result to warrant the types of treatment they give for seizures. Some seizure medicines apparently can have a number of bad side effects, so there is a concern about the "cure" potentially being worse than the problem.

My daughter was 11 when she was tested, and we did the test because she told the doctor she was having times when she was missing things--Her description of her blank out moments was rather strange, so it sounded like seizures. In retrospect, I think she could have been having absence seizures when she was little, which her teachers attributed to "deep daydreaming." When my daughter was younger she would have times when she would have a completely blank look on her face. It was a different kind of stare than you would see in daydreaming children--it was like she wasn't all there. It has gotten better as she has gotten older. She also would not respond to her name like other kids would. These are the types of things you could watch for as time progresses.

For now, if the doctors aren't concerned, then you may want to give it more time. If she is having seizures, they may become more obvious as she gets older. The subtle ones can be harder to detect, but if you know the signs, then you may be able to see them when she gets older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting