Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 08:52 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

A Pennsylvania father pleaded guilty to child endangerment for abandoning his teenage daughter at a mall over a bad grade she received at school.

Tuan Huynh, 47, of Montgomery County, dropped his 16-year-old daughter off near Cheltenham Square Mall and told her she could not come home, Fox affiliate WTXF-TV reported. He told the teenager she no longer met her parents' expectations because she had received a bad grade on a calculus test, according to the station.

Read more: Pennsylvania father abandons 16-year-old daughter over bad math grade | Fox News

Old 06-30-2012, 09:44 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,277,553 times
Stellar parenting there.

Old 06-30-2012, 10:49 PM

811 posts, read 550,545 times
Asians. Not surprised. But it's that same strict parenting that leads to their children outsmarting us in almost every way.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizualizax90 View Post
Asians. Not surprised. But it's that same strict parenting that leads to their children outsmarting us in almost every way.
Because obviously parents who don't ride their children like that never produce successes right?

Old 06-30-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Because obviously parents who don't ride their children like that never produce successes right?
I never said they don't.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
I never said they don't.
They have some strengths but teaching like they do in a lot of those countries also deprives children of the basic human experience. What's the point if all you do from age 4-21 is go to school most of your waking hours?

Old 06-30-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
They have some strengths but teaching like they do in a lot of those countries also deprives children of the basic human experience. What's the point if all you do from age 4-21 is go to school most of your waking hours?
No, not some. Many. The point is to not end up like little POS-should-have-been-aborted children like most in this country. And at the end of the day, values are had and chances of success are higher.

Example, here in NYC, Chinatown has poverty issues, yet their children in schools do better than the ones in the poor and dangerous black neighborhoods.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
No, not some. Many. The point is to not end up like little POS-should-have-been-aborted children like most in this country. And at the end of the day, values are had and chances of success are higher.

Example, here in NYC, Chinatown has poverty issues, yet their children in schools do better than the ones in the poor and dangerous black neighborhoods.
But almost all groups do better than african americans school wise so it's hard to say obsessive parenting plays a part there. And as i said before the strengths of obsessing about education make you lose out on experiences in life. Life is more than just studying for tests, to get a job after college.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:24 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Necessity is the mother of invention. Kids who are coddled have no reason to develop reasoning skills or any other skills for that matter. We're so busy "nurturing" our kids we can't see that they need negative consequences to avoid to stretch.

Our kids are like seedlings growing in a greenhouse...nice and peaceful...watered all the time...temperature just right...no wind....and then we scratch our heads when they fall over during the first rain strom or wither in the first drought once they leave the greenhouse. Coddling does not make them strong. Dealing with adversity does.

Every year, I put my house plants out on the deck in may. Every year, they get sun burned and then toughen up and grow. I'm not saying abandon them at a mall but our kids need to toughen up to grow. I had one student who worked his butt off for me last year in spite of not being a natural fit for chemistry. Why? Because if he got anything less than an 80% on ANYTHING dad took the car away. This boy grumbled and complained about how unfair it was but he worked his butt off. Go Dad!!!

Old 07-01-2012, 05:29 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
But almost all groups do better than african americans school wise so it's hard to say obsessive parenting plays a part there. And as i said before the strengths of obsessing about education make you lose out on experiences in life. Life is more than just studying for tests, to get a job after college.
True but these things are part of life....a very important part of life. If we, as parents, do not prepare our kids to take care of themselves and support their own children, we have FAILED no matter how happy our kids are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting