Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 05:33 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
For those of you who like to be barefoot, i highly recommend Vibram Five finger shoes. Its like walking barefoot with just a little bit of rubber soles. I bought mine and LOVE them. I get a lot of compliments on them.

They have different styles for what you want to do... hiking, running, general walking. They also have kids sizes too.

These are my beauties.
I have three pairs, I use them in the winter for running, and hiking and canoeing. But they are a next best. Running barefoot is still the ideal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 05:36 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
For those of you who like to be barefoot, i highly recommend Vibram Five finger shoes. Its like walking barefoot with just a little bit of rubber soles. I bought mine and LOVE them. I get a lot of compliments on them.

They have different styles for what you want to do... hiking, running, general walking. They also have kids sizes too.

These are my beauties.
I recently saw someone wearing these and laughed outloud!

They made her feet look like they belonged to a gorilla

But I suppose they are better than being barefoot!

Old 07-01-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
I make my kids wear shoes out in public. Pavement is very hot this time of year, and who knows what gross stuff is on the floors.
This is a common sentiment, but if you look at "gross stuff", things your hands touch are going to be way worse.

So if you don't make your kids wear gloves, than why make them wear shoes?

Oh and the one exception I always make is in the gym. I don't like athletes foot.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:44 PM

Oh and going barefoot isnt illegal. Even in stores and restaurants.

Bare Feet and the Health Department

Old 07-01-2012, 05:52 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
Heck, when I was a kid I never wore shoes all summer long.
This, except in stores and restaurants of course

Old 07-01-2012, 06:16 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
My son never wore shoes or socks when he was a baby and wasn't walking or crawling yet. But once he was moving around, always shoes. He loves to be barefoot but we only do that inside. And when he was just an infant he'd spend all of his time pulling off his socks. When we'd go for a walk in the stroller he would hold his little feet up and let the air hit them.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:21 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,653,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I can see not wearing shoes at your house or when you are outside, but at Wal-Mart (or any other store?) Who knows what you're picking up on those floors.

I even get skeeved watching people walking around the streets of Manhattan with flip-flops on. Really? All that dog pee and human spit and god knows what else on the sidewalks, and you're exposing your bare feet to that and it doesn't faze you?

And then tracking that crap into your house and car. Put your feet on the couch-bleecchh!

Old 07-01-2012, 08:59 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,213,908 times
This is timely; went to IKEA today and watched a family with two sons, aged appx 6 and 8, walk the entire store (at our pace which was 1 hr 15 min.) BAREFOOT. I did not see shoes peeking out of someone's purse or in the cart, no sign of 'em at all. Of course, IKEA was crazy busy as well... I can only fathom the dirt and grime on the floor.

They even waited in line behind us for frozen yogurt at the end.

Just bizarre, gross and not right.

Last edited by Idlewile; 07-01-2012 at 09:17 PM..

Old 07-01-2012, 09:16 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,755,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I recently saw someone wearing these and laughed outloud!

They made her feet look like they belonged to a gorilla

But I suppose they are better than being barefoot!
That's fine, they are not supposed to be a fashion statement. I'd rather walk in these than have back pain like i used to.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:07 AM

672 posts, read 2,112,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Nothing wrong with a little exposure to germs, parasites, etc. Helps develop the immune system. Hygiene hypothesis anyone?

Oh, and hookworms almost never occur on cement. In my area people are pretty good about taking care of their pets, they tend to scoop and deworm. I worry much more about broken glass than I do hookworm.
First, I didn't write anything about germs. I was only commenting on hookworms. Where I come from, people don't pick up after their animals and most are not wormed as often as they should be. Cats and dogs are seen as work animals, not members of the family.

If you don't mind dealing with worms coming out of the your child's rear end, more power to you. I don't want to deal with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting