Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 09:39 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,639,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
In stores yes, but otherwise, who cares?

I go barefoot every chance I get, including running barefoot.

Shoes suck, I wear them when I have to, and only when I have to. Same with my kids. We always keep a few pairs of flip flops in the car so we can have shoes to wear in stores. But the park?? Why can't people go barefoot in the park?
Hope your kids are up to date on their tetanus shots. Parks have broken glass, feces, urine and sharp rusty metal objects on the ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 10:01 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,718,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Hope your kids are up to date on their tetanus shots. Parks have broken glass, feces, urine and sharp rusty metal objects on the ground.
Nope. But if they get a puncture wound (the kind that you need tetanus for) then they will get them.

This whole thread cracks me up, people walk around barefoot for a million years or so but apparently only shoes will save your life. Evolution has caused the sole of the foot to be thickened for a reason, that makes it much less likely to get infections, cuts or other injuries than the rest of the body.

And FYI, urine is sterile. I know it is gross, but it isn't carrying infectious agents.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:44 AM

672 posts, read 2,112,721 times
Quote:
That is not what happens with hookworms. Maybe you are thinking of pinworms? But kids are more likely to pick up pinworms from touching things with their hands than walking around barefoot.
CDC Hookworms website:

"...The larvae mature into a form that can penetrate the skin of humans. Hookworm infection is mainly acquired by walking barefoot on contaminated soil. One kind of hookworm can also be transmitted through the ingestion of larvae..."

Old 07-02-2012, 10:57 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Nope. But if they get a puncture wound (the kind that you need tetanus for) then they will get them.

This whole thread cracks me up, people walk around barefoot for a million years or so but apparently only shoes will save your life. Evolution has caused the sole of the foot to be thickened for a reason, that makes it much less likely to get infections, cuts or other injuries than the rest of the body.

And FYI, urine is sterile. I know it is gross, but it isn't carrying infectious agents.
Correction....urine is only sterile until it leaves the body - it is NOT sterile for long outside of it.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann789 View Post
First, I didn't write anything about germs. I was only commenting on hookworms. Where I come from, people don't pick up after their animals and most are not wormed as often as they should be. Cats and dogs are seen as work animals, not members of the family.

If you don't mind dealing with worms coming out of the your child's rear end, more power to you
. I don't want to deal with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann789 View Post
CDC Hookworms website:

"...The larvae mature into a form that can penetrate the skin of humans. Hookworm infection is mainly acquired by walking barefoot on contaminated soil. One kind of hookworm can also be transmitted through the ingestion of larvae..."
You are confusing human and canine hookworms. They are two separate species of Ascari. In order to pick up human hookworms by walking barefoot it needs to be in an area where humans are defecating outside. This doesn't happen where I live, maybe it does where you live. Canine hookworms do not pass through the human digestive track. At most they make you skin itch for a day or two.

Since in the first post you are clearly talking about canine hookworms, your source is irrelevant as it is about human hookworm.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Correction....urine is only sterile until it leaves the body - it is NOT sterile for long outside of it.
Ok, same with anything else. Urine is no more or less sterile than the ground itself.

The point remains, urine does not contain biologically infectious material. End of story.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:51 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,314,587 times
I agree once a kid is walking they should usually be wearing shoes in public. I let my toddler walk around our neighborhood or our backyard barefoot sometimes but doing it in restaurants or stores seems kind of gross to me.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:09 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,939,098 times
i think it is terrible if we nitpick every little aspect of someone else's life. maybe sometimes we should just give people a break.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:26 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
i think it is terrible if we nitpick every little aspect of someone else's life. maybe sometimes we should just give people a break.
Parents of young children have an overwhelming responsibility to protect, nurture and care for their children.

When they don't put shoes on their kids in dangerous situations, they fail those children miserably.

I will never give an irresponsible, unreliable, lazy parent a "break".

Somebody needs to speak up for the poor kids unfortunate enough to have been born to such people.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:33 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,494,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Okay...what is with children not wearing shoes? Toddlers, older kids, even babies...all weekend, I have seen kids around, NO SHOES! At Wal-Mart, the park, walking around downtown. Not even a pair of flip flops...am I the only one who sees this as a problem?

Okay...babies..a pass...but at what age should they have shoes? My kids always wore shoes...am I just old fashioned? I guess...and if parents say, "They won't wear them", then fine...they should not leave the house...

Why is it a problem ? ? ?

Why should they not leave the house ? ? ?

I never wore shoes in warm wheather even after I was in grade school.

We hated shoes.

Never wore shoes at campground and swimming pools.
Had tough bottom feet, and could walk on gravel roads.

I never wear shoes in the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting