Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 11:38 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

She was right. I called her an idiot, told her to go to hell and called her inept.

But I was talking to the recorded voice at my mail order pharmacy who kept getting my RX number wrong. And I felt good doing it.

Still I had to explain to my daughter I would never speak that way to a real person and I was just blowing off steam.

So the moral of the story is to be careful what your children might overhear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 12:02 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
I think they're old enough to find out you're human.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:55 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
She was right. I called her an idiot, told her to go to hell and called her inept.

But I was talking to the recorded voice at my mail order pharmacy who kept getting my RX number wrong. And I felt good doing it.

Still I had to explain to my daughter I would never speak that way to a real person and I was just blowing off steam.

I love it! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who yells at automated phone voices.

I also found out last week that I'm not the only one who yells at the automated voice at the self-checkout station at the supermarket. I heard someone else do it, and I turned around and laughed out loud.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:21 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,858,568 times
Little known fact taught to me by my attorney husband: If you use profanity on many automated systems (e.g., "I want to speak to a f-ing person!"), they'll often transfer you to a live person. If you're having no luck by pressing zero to escape endless menus, give it a try. Don't know why it works, but it often does!

Old 07-05-2012, 01:28 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:

One time i was on the phone with my friends financial aide advisor because she felt that a more aggresive female might get some headway whereas she was not because my friend is a dishrag *a.k.a sweet lovely girl who gets walked on a bit*. Anyway my little 5 year old sister at the time walked into hearing me use some let's just say 'colorful remarks', which she then happened to use at the next family reunion type sunday dinner . MEAGHAN ELIZABETH was the next thing i heard as my mothers eyes bored into my skull.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:01 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Quote:

Ain't that the truth!!!

Old 07-11-2012, 10:11 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
also, you are an adult, and you know when the right time is to mouth off and when it isnt.
plus as an adult, you really do not have to justify your actions to anyone.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:15 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Tell your daughter it is rude to listen in on other people's telephone conversations.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:23 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
One critical lesson that this thread highlights is the fact that as parents we have to walk a line. We must teach our children how to be firm in life without becoming an "SOB".

There are many situations where we do children a disservice by not teaching them to stand up for themselves. They will deal with obnoxious sales people, panhandlers, and people who make unfair and unreasonable demands upon them. Some people don't want to hear the word "no" and our children will have to deal with them just as we do.

All of us have seen adults who don't seem to be able to manage any kind of a situation that involves confronting others or even expressing a contrary opinion. IMO, these are sad people. Its why assertiveness training is offered as a course for some adults.

I think part of this process is for our children to see us react (and sometimes over react) to people who are unpleasant or who are trying to push us too far. Ideally, we would always keep our cool. However, I would be the first to admit that I do not always succeed. However, when we fail to be polite this can serve as a basis for a conversation with our children on how we should act.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:34 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
also, as an adult, you really do not have to justify your actions to anyone.
I disagree. If my actions are perceived to be contrary to what I have taught my children, then I do need to explain to them what was going on. She actually never knew there are "invisible non people" on the phone. How could she know this? If she actually thought I handled a stressful phone call by cussing and calling names this is so against what I teach them. So now she understands why I hang up abruptly after I answer the phone. She knows about surveys, sales calls, robo calls, etc and this initial conversation where she thought I was being rude started a very good lesson. I have taught my children that it is my phone, I pay the bill and I can choose who I want to talk to and I am within my rights to terminate a call or refuse to even take a call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting