Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 12:51 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times

Advertisements

This wasn't always the case. Years ago, little Latin girls wore modest, adorable dresses. Now, however, they dress the way American media dictates, and American dictates to Latin media.

If you look through old magazines, you can see that the dresses of WOMEN, and the dresses of GIRLS wore little similarity. Those of women were a bit on the feminine and even slightly sexy side. Those of little girls were very innocent, girlie, and were of cute, pretty colors.

Now, women are expected to dress ho-ish, and their daughters' wear is identical, like shortened women in the new ho-ish fashion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peerage View Post
Not only American girls. Many latin countries have many little girls dressing sexy and way to mature for their age. I feel this attracts bad company from sick men and also the child should be a child and love and enjoy the early years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 12:54 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times
What's so shocking to me is that so much time has passed since women have been trying to tear down the glass ceiling, and in the past 10 years or so, oh my frikkin' gawd, women's outfits look like they all walk the street in search of johns. Regressing would not be a good explanation, since even in the past, women didn't dress like streetwalkers, unless they were that, streetwalkers.

(Streetwalkers, by their very trade, MUST attract males and therefore expose various parts of their body).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
they already know how important it is to look good as a woman b/c their whole worth is going to be decided on this, whether they like it or not. and as long as men are primarily calling the shots in this world that's how it's going to remain.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:55 PM

83 posts, read 105,670 times
My daughter just turned 13 and I already see it happening...,boy craziness. God help me. Except I won't let her wear skimpy clothes, Oh no no, not on my watch and I know what guys think at that age, I used to be them but becoming a Dad has made me go into overprotective mode.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:24 PM

885 posts, read 1,881,062 times
Maybe we should make them wear THIS!

Old 07-18-2012, 03:47 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
This wasn't always the case. Years ago, little Latin girls wore modest, adorable dresses. Now, however, they dress the way American media dictates, and American dictates to Latin media.

If you look through old magazines, you can see that the dresses of WOMEN, and the dresses of GIRLS wore little similarity. Those of women were a bit on the feminine and even slightly sexy side. Those of little girls were very innocent, girlie, and were of cute, pretty colors.

Now, women are expected to dress ho-ish, and their daughters' wear is identical, like shortened women in the new ho-ish fashion.
I have never ever felt like there was an expectation for me OR my daughters to dress "ho-ish." I think people are looking for this to be a problem, and while yes, I'm sure there are girls who dress age-inappropriately, that's the exception not the rule. IME, at least.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
I have never ever felt like there was an expectation for me OR my daughters to dress "ho-ish." I think people are looking for this to be a problem, and while yes, I'm sure there are girls who dress age-inappropriately, that's the exception not the rule. IME, at least.
Today at CVS a 12/13 year old ish had shorts on that were so short.......you could see everything RIGHT up to her butt... that's the NORM around here.. and it's awful.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:08 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Hmm, I distinctly remember the hot-pants, tube-tops/boob tubes, and mini-mini skirts in the early 70's causing kanipshin fits among moms. Same old.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Hmm, I distinctly remember the hot-pants, tube-tops/boob tubes, and mini-mini skirts in the early 70's causing kanipshin fits among moms. Same old.
Except that moms and dads....don't seem to care.

The one I saw today was with her mom....you see them everywhere in their short shorts......family gatherings, etc etc..

Old 07-18-2012, 05:37 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,128 times
IMO, we really need one big "the world is going to hades in a hand basket/what's wrong with kids these days" master thread. It is getting overwhelming trying to follow the abundance of threads on the theme.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:46 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,780,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
Today at CVS a 12/13 year old ish had shorts on that were so short.......you could see everything RIGHT up to her butt... that's the NORM around here.. and it's awful.
Yeah, but she's still a little girl. Looking at that and seeing that as an attempt to look sexual is like thinking a topless toddler at the pool is too skimpy. And at that age she could have grown 3 inches since her mom bought those shorts.

When I was 12 I was in spaghetti string tank tops which on me now would be skimpy and sexy...but on my prepubescent skinny body? I just don't think you can hold little girls to the same standard of dress as you would a young woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting