Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 11:02 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,880,558 times

Advertisements

in general. Men seem to be more cordial holding open doors for pregnant women, offering to help with bags, etc. I've noted more men than women slowing down and stopping allowing a pregnant lady opportunity to cross the road, while often other women just blaze by. Also men will often smile when looking at the belly/general pregnant state of the female. Anyone else notice this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 11:22 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Maybe because women realize what it's like and figure most pregnant women don't want to be treated special .

Old 07-17-2012, 02:34 AM

770 posts, read 1,177,151 times
Are you sure men aren't just like this to women in general?

Old 07-17-2012, 05:51 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
I don't know if that's true but I will help a pregnant woman. I, for one, think they are pretty special and I see nothing wrong with offering assistance.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:07 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times
I dont want to have children, but currently have a fractured foot and I hate the extra attention and looks I get. I just want to be treated normally. I can open the door myself, actually I'd prefer it.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:23 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
Yes, I noticed this. It wasn't even that the women didn't go out of their way to be nice - it was that they were WORSE when I was pregnant. Like they were anticipating you wanting special treatment (I DIDN'T) and had to make sure that you knew you weren't anything special. I also think many women had an attitude of 'big deal, I've been pregnant too'. Men seemed to have a more special feeling about it from when their wives were pregnant - probably because they didn't have to suffer the physical misery. Maybe the women just didn't want to be reminded of it LOL.

I also noticed something outside of my immediate family. Men were very wistful when they would talk about pregnancy and babies while I was pregnant. Women were extremely negative. Most of them dropped those "oh, just wait" type of comments. Like it was all going to be downhill misery. Men spoke about it more tenderly.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:47 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
I can't say I have experienced that. When I was pregnant most women were interested and supportive, and most men very respectful.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:10 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
I sometimes think women can be very difficult and harsh toward other women. I don't know why that is, but Irish Eyes, I know exactly what you are talking about.

When my hands are full with kids, bags, etc, I appreciate someone opening a door for me or helping me out. I don't feel like I am being treated like an abnormal person. I'm always taken aback by people's irritation with other people's gestures of assistance.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:27 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
When my hands are full with kids, bags, etc, I appreciate someone opening a door for me or helping me out. I don't feel like I am being treated like an abnormal person. I'm always taken aback by people's irritation with other people's gestures of assistance.
Me to. I will accept help when it's offered.

I can think of many instances during pregnancy and afterwards when I've been out with small children where people have gone out of their way to help me out. I've had women help me get my stroller up and down stairs when there wasn't a ramp. I've had men and women offer to take my shopping cart for me after I loaded groceries in my car. I've had people open doors (more men then women). It's all appreciated and I try to do the same for others, pregnant or not. I haven't noticed men being more helpful then women though. It seems pretty balanced.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:47 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Also men will often smile when looking at the belly/general pregnant state of the female. Anyone else notice this?
No.

I can't say I'm looking at men and making note of what they reactions to pregnant women might be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting