Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 06:20 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,236,287 times

Advertisements

Why are parents so judgmental over this issue when a little boy happens to not have short hair? My friends little boy for example has the cutest hair that goes down to the middle of his back. He actually loves it being that long and looks quite adorable like that. Anyway people constanly make comments on how "he would look better with short hair", or "why do you want him to look like a little girl", and "He will get teased when he is in school". Just really venting with this post is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 06:29 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,527,388 times
Personally I don't care. What annoys me just a little bit is when the parents of said boy with long hair get miffed when people call said boy a girl (as is the case with people I know).

Old 07-17-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Personally I don't care. What annoys me just a little bit is when the parents of said boy with long hair get miffed when people call said boy a girl (as is the case with people I know).
Haha well he has very delicate features so he easily could be mistaken as one.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:10 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,081,367 times
I think some people are old fashioned (or just plain old). My 9 year old wants to grow his hair out for locks of love, little sweetheart. Fine with me, but I won't be surprised if he gets mistaken for a girl. He has those delicate features.

A lady knocked on the door the other day and made small talk, calling him a "he", then paused and said very bluntly "is he a boy or a girl? you can't tell these days when they grow their hair long." Right in front of him.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I think some people are old fashioned (or just plain old). My 9 year old wants to grow his hair out for locks of love, little sweetheart. Fine with me, but I won't be surprised if he gets mistaken for a girl. He has those delicate features.

A lady knocked on the door the other day and made small talk, calling him a "he", then paused and said very bluntly "is he a boy or a girl? you can't tell these days when they grow their hair long." Right in front of him.
That's a nice thing he is doing

Old 07-17-2012, 08:15 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,743,608 times
I don't care one way or the other is boys grow long hair or girls shave their heads... but please don't get angry or offended if I mistake your DD for your DS or vice-versa. I've given to Locks-of-love twice now, and I think it's a wonderful gift... it's awesome that your son is doing that.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:11 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,527,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
My 9 year old wants to grow his hair out for locks of love, little sweetheart.
That is awesome.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:29 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,829,206 times
Honestly, I don't have a problem with boys having long hair. One thing that is a pet peeve though... unkempt hair (and this applies to girls as well). Haven't met a kid yet that can "pull" that off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Happens to people I know as well. I always laugh because the parents really take it personal when a lot of times, its just that the people aren't really paying attention.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:19 AM

89 posts, read 290,680 times
Those kind of judgements bother me too. My 4 year old daughter was just asking me the other day if boys wear ponytails; I told her it depends if their hair is long enough for one or not and that it is their (and their parents) decision on how to style the hair.

I also think a lot of it is just old-fashioned attitude. Same with boys having to wear blue and girls having to wear pink. Gender stereotypes.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:47 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,843,831 times
My son went through a phase where he wanted long hair. He was in middle school. It did not bother me that people sometimes mistook him for a girl. I told him that it comes with the territory. What did bother me were the people who acted like it was some huge moral failing on my part to allow him to wear his hair long. It's just hair. He got good grades, excelled at music, enjoyed lacrosse, at and was a good kid during this period. However, some people just felt that his hair defined him as some sort of deviant. THAT irritated me.

He started marching band in 7th grade and anyone with hair below their shoulders had to get their hair done before every game and competition. He did not have the patience for that so he asked to have his hair cut when marching band started in 8th grade. I like the way he looks with shorter hair but it really is just hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting