U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 08:59 AM

58 posts, read 181,435 times

Advertisements

I found free lessons on youtube. I'm teaching myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 12:24 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,526,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
I am trying to decide for a piano teacher for our 7 yo son. Someone I found is asking 100 dollars a month, one lesson per week, whether the month has 3 wks or 5 wks. What bothers me is that the lesson lasts only 30 minutes and I just don't think you can learn much of anything in only 30 minutes.

I had also found another source where they sent the teacher at your home, the lesson lasted 45 minutes but they asked 50 dollars a lesson - which I find to be very pricey.

Any idea what cost per lesson I should expect for a good quality teacher that will teach for at least 45 minutes - in the Atlanta area?
I'm in an Atlanta suburb. It's $30 for 30 minutes, $45 for 45 minutes, etc. This is for a teacher with a degree, has college level teaching experience, and performance experience. It does not include books and recitals. I'm an intermediate level adult and to me, the price is worth every penny. The kids under 10 only get 30 minute lessons, and it's a struggle to get them to pay attention. I get to my lessons early and can hear the kids before me. It's clear that they are ready to go after about 20 minutes. There is the occasional kid that clearly loves the music and could stay for an hour. Those are very rare.

Unless your 7 year old shows exceptional skills and the teacher has extensive performance experience, a degree, and this price includes books, tests, recitals/festivals, $100 is highway robbery. For an advanced level teenager, sure. A teacher who comes to the home for $50 for 45 minutes is reasonable.

Anyone priced under $30 for 30 minutes, I would question their experience, unless you simply want your child to learn how to play, not necessarily play well.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:20 PM

8 posts, read 7,351 times
Quote:
She did mention a recital opportunity, yes - with an additional fee.
I've not read through this whole thread yet but I can contribute as a studio violin teacher. The extra fee for recitals is probably a hall rental fee. $100.00/month is very reasonable for 30 minute lessons. I agree also with the previous posters who mention that a 30 minute lesson plenty of time for a seven year old and that the daily practice is far more important than a longer lesson time.

And remember, you get what you pay for..... I charge $60.00/hr for private lessons and do not have much blowback for that price.

Just my $.02.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:01 AM

57 posts, read 116,648 times
I'm chiming in a little late here but had a few thoughts:

Finding a good music teacher can be a challenge. It's a type of business where anyone who had some lessons as a child and can play 'pretty well' can decide to call himself a teacher. As a parent, you wouldn't really know how good the teacher was unless you asked some questions.

Does the teacher have a piano degree? What professional organizations are they affiliated with (MTNA, Guild, Federation, etc..)? By being a member of such organizations the teacher would be able to give students performance and evaluation opportunities not available to the majority of people who call themselves piano teachers. Also, teachers in these organizations typically attend workshops, master classes, and conventions that help make them better teachers. They are constantly learning.

Regarding cost of lessons: the more educated the teacher, the more the lessons will cost. And think about it: when you go to college and study to become a lawyer, doctor, nurse, engineer, etc... your education begins when you start college. For the piano teacher, their training has begun a decade or more before they even BEGIN college. When they enter college as a piano major they are expected to already have achieved a high level of performance and competency.

So $25 isn't really that much for lessons.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,967 times
Atlanta area 50.00-60.00 per hour and 25.00-30.00 per half hour. If you think this is pricey please keep in mind piano teachers have spent thousands upon thousand of hours throughout their life to get to the point of professional teaching. Their knowledge didn't begin in college. It began the day they began taking lessons themselves. One doesn't begin their career in the music field the day they graduate. Experience, money, extreme hard work, etc began around age 5-10. Dedicated full time piano teachers spend every waking moment preparing for your child's lessons, thinking ahead to the next event, continuing their education, and racking their brains to come up with new creative ways of teaching. They never stop learning and their life is dedicated to providing your child with the best possible music instruction one has to offer...this is to ensure that the student comes away with musical knowledge, life lessons , character building, skills in over coming frustration, learning to deal under pressure, and MOST importantly...giving them the joy of playing music for the rest of their lives. If you are currently taking lessons and are not happy with the lack of dedication in your teacher....then yes you are paying too much. Keep these things in mind the next time you write that 100.00-150.00 check. Your child is getting alot more than just a simple 30 min piano lesson.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,967 times
Haha I just read the post before me and saw they mentioned the same thing about beginning career before college. So many people don't know this or understand it. You might find a "fresh out of college" teacher. Don't think she just started teaching at 22-23. Chances are she began teaching at age 15-16. I remember when I graduated (years ago) I was treated like a "newbie" in some regards upon the first meeting with a parent. My young age really hurt me at first. I was left to "prove" myself to those parents before any kind of true respect was given. I did succeed and the aggravation I put up with was all worth it

Old 05-11-2013, 09:00 PM

3,803 posts, read 3,740,720 times
I just wanted to bring up something regarding the length of the lesson. Several here have said that 45 minutes would be too long for a 7 year old. I taught piano for many years, and after the first few years I completely stopped offering 30 minute lessons at all. The younger students in particular need a variety of activities to help them learn and to make lessons fun. With a 45 or 60 minute lesson, I had time to include activities such as percussion instruments to reinforce rhythm patterns, various games on the floor (giant floor staff, music theory games, puppets who would "quiz" them), ear training, composition, and other things that I considered important for a solid music foundation for success at piano (or any other instrument they may wish to learn in the future). In a 30 minute lesson, there was barely time to hear last week's assigned pieces, give feedback, re-work those pieces, then maybe have time to rush through new concepts needed for the next piece.

I literally had an entire room, plus a large part of a storage room, filled with music games, instruments, CDs, and teaching materials. I made piano lessons fun!! My students' lessons would overlap so they could work on duets together, and play some of my music games together. We had several group piano parties every year, at least 2 formal recitals, and other performance opportunities. I held an "Honors Students Dinner" in my home for my top 6 or 8 students and their parents each year, followed by a recital in my music room. One year our summer recital was a carnival in my back yard for all of the families, with carnival games, stuffed animals, cotton candy, and every student played piano pieces related to a carnival or circus.

I know all of this may sound a bit over-the-top, but that's my style, and I had very little turnover of students. I had many who stayed with me until they went off to college, and several chose music as their college major.

So my concern with a teacher that comes to your house is that lessons would probably consist of nothing more than working out of the piano books....NOT the best way for most children to learn. I just wanted to share with OP some of the things that creative teachers can do to truly instill a LOVE of music in their students. You don't have to settle for a "bare bones" kind of piano teacher.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 882 times
Quote:
I am trying to decide for a piano teacher for our 7 yo son. Someone I found is asking 100 dollars a month, one lesson per week, whether the month has 3 wks or 5 wks. What bothers me is that the lesson lasts only 30 minutes and I just don't think you can learn much of anything in only 30 minutes.

I had also found another source where they sent the teacher at your home, the lesson lasted 45 minutes but they asked 50 dollars a lesson - which I find to be very pricey.

Any idea what cost per lesson I should expect for a good quality teacher that will teach for at least 45 minutes - in the Atlanta area?
This is obviously an EXTREMELY late reply, but I happen to be a piano teacher and it is HIGHLY recommended that you DO NOT exceed 30 minutes with children under the age of ten. I actually do 30 minutes with ALL of my students and they have most definitely learned ALOT. To you, it may not seem like 30 minutes is much, because you may not know the details or perhaps the teacher is a poor one, but any good teacher can teach a ton in 30 minutes.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:45 AM

13,030 posts, read 7,631,341 times
Twenty-five dollars for a half-hour private lesson is in line with the current price in the Denver metro.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 519 times
syracusa thanks for a great question! Children have short attention spans therefore, 30 minutes seems appropriate with the continued lessons and advanced skills being 45-60 minutes. Decades ago lessons were $8/per 30 min lesson at the studio and for adults/child. Suffice it to say increased price is according to time, seems to be a logical progression. I plan to have lessons again, in my home. However, the price may be too much for a senior citizen on a fixed income. Thank you all for such great feedback. I learned a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or