U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 08:31 AM

3,172 posts, read 3,107,176 times

Advertisements

You also have to consider the child's attention span, and age. A half hour is just right for a 7 year old. 45 minutes for a dedicated ten year old. An hour for a 13 year old who is really into it.

What is far, far more important is that the child PRACTICE, with a parent sitting with them, helping them focus, until they are older, probably about 12 or 13, and self-motivated. A young child should practice for a half hour twice a day. As they get older, the practice sessions should increase accordingly, so that a young teen who is into it should practice for an hour twice a day.

Realize that your child will most likely move on to other interests - and that's okay. They learned how to read music, the complex independent finger coordination required by piano helped their brain to mature, they learned how to concentrate and work hard at something.

And yes, the one on one human interaction with a good teacher is very important. Also, the teacher who is right for a 7 year old beginner may not be the right one for a teen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 08:43 AM

5,025 posts, read 1,776,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post

Realize that your child will most likely move on to other interests - and that's okay. They learned how to read music, the complex independent finger coordination required by piano helped their brain to mature, they learned how to concentrate and work hard at something..
This. I took piano lessons for 5 years then moved on to other things. My mom was disappointed by I had already learned to play the piano, learned to read music and I wasn't going to be a concert pianist. Music lessons are good for the brain.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:16 PM

5,025 posts, read 1,776,411 times
Udemy offers online piano lessons for a low price (or so they claim in their ads).

Old 01-22-2018, 11:07 AM

4,615 posts, read 2,183,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
I am trying to decide for a piano teacher for our 7 yo son. Someone I found is asking 100 dollars a month, one lesson per week, whether the month has 3 wks or 5 wks. What bothers me is that the lesson lasts only 30 minutes and I just don't think you can learn much of anything in only 30 minutes.

I had also found another source where they sent the teacher at your home, the lesson lasted 45 minutes but they asked 50 dollars a lesson - which I find to be very pricey.

Any idea what cost per lesson I should expect for a good quality teacher that will teach for at least 45 minutes - in the Atlanta area?
We pay 130 a month . Once a week for 30 minutes . Private 1 on 1 tutor.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:17 PM

2,762 posts, read 8,723,919 times
Where I live my son takes lessons for $25 a week. One 30 min lesson a week. So about $100 a month, but in under two years he is playing incredibly!! Well worth it.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:58 AM

23 posts, read 7,488 times
$100 a month is cheap!! I wished they had that pricing in New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting