Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 06:45 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
I hardly call this an accident.

Keys should NOT have been available.

The kid "stole" the boat.

Was speeding in a no wake zone
Had NO experience in his families new boat..

It was stupidity and I do believe he needs to get charged, along with mom and dad..

The girls father said in an article "I just wish he had some more experience driving" and he knew that she was going on a boat, but didn't know 15 year olds were driving.
Well perhaps the keys weren't available since the kids stole the boat . And i mean give me a break the parents need to be charged for what? He stole his parents boat for a joyride and they are no culpable for it? I guess we should apply that law to everyone from now on then by that logic. Someone drinks booze in your house then goes off and murders his wife you should be charged with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 06:54 AM

Yes i forgot that spanking completely deters a child from ever making bone headed choices in life *rolls eyes*. I guess when i was in high school when some local kids, and the ministers son from the baptist church down the road *who was a well known advocate of coporal punishment* slammed into a tree while joyriding around a curve at 90 mph it was just weren't spanked enough. The fact is kids often do dumb things because they feel nothing bad can ever happen to them and are not able to weigh the risk.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Other than the blaming part, I agree 100%. It isn't the first, nor the last time, that kids will do stupid things because they think they're invincible. And parents worldwide know this, because it's nothing new.

That's what I agree with. But what I also feel - BECAUSE I agree with it:
is that parents need to really consider their own choices.

"Hm..let's go out and buy a new $40,000 boat."
"Well dear, Johnny's just turned 15, and you know how reckless kids can be."
"Oh you know, you're right. Well let's make a rule, that none of the kids can even be -on- the boat, unless one of us is there to drive it."
"Excellent suggestion, dear! And the keys?"
"We keep them locked up in the gun box."
"Perfect. Now, about lunch...."

That's how conversations regarding "toys" that can become lethal weapons in the hands of kids who everyone knows can be reckless and "invincible" should go.

I'm guessing this conversation never took place, when the family was deciding to buy the boat.

And for that - I blame the parents. When you have teenagers, you have to -assume- they are going to try something really stupid at some point before they're adults. It's a rite of passage, it comes with the job of "teenager." And as such, knowing that it is your responsibility as an adult to make this assumption, it is your responsibility to make sure you don't thrust "easy way to die" in their faces.
I disagree because you are assuming without knowledge what transpired. With that logic you should also lock up your car keys every night out of fear your child will go off joyriding.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:59 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
It was an accident caused by the recklessness of headstrong teenagers who believe they are invincible. It isn't the first and it won't be the last. I know my grandparents had friends die during drag races, jumping off cliffs while swimming etc. (Erroneously perceived) Teenage immortality is nothing new. I am sick of people blaming already grieving parents for their children's deaths.

It does no good.
I agree with this 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I disagree because you are assuming without knowledge what transpired. With that logic you should also lock up your car keys every night out of fear your child will go off joyriding.
And this.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:11 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,278 times
I would say the fault is with the mothers
raising the girl the way she did ! ! !

Deviny and her mom weren't just mother and daughter, they were also best friends.

She gave Deviny expensive gifts, including a computer and an iPhone. She bought her three dogs, two cats, two chickens and two bunny rabbits. She took her on exotic birthday trips.

"I gave her everything she wanted," Boese said. "I'm glad I spoiled her."

Boese called her daughter "wild," but not in a bad way. She loved adventure.
"She always used to say, 'Go fast,' " her mom recalled.

Boese knew Deviny had gone boating with Sarah,
but she wasn't familiar with the two boys. Her daughter had lots of friends.

In my opinion:

She ( Mother Boese ) let her daughter go boating with an
under aged, inexperienced child, driving the boat.

The girls death is the result of giving the child everything she wanted,
and not checking on who she is running with, or what she is doing.

She just turned her daughter loose,
to do what ever she wanted to do ! ! !

If there is fault it would be the mothers fault of the death ! ! !

Old 07-19-2012, 07:23 AM

885 posts, read 1,881,812 times
Absolutely.

"but she wasn't familiar with the two boys"

Are you kidding me? I can see that happening in college or after. However my 15 year old.....is not getting on a boat with people I don't know.

What a perfect example of what spoiling your kid can result in.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
I would say the fault is with the mothers
raising the girl the way she did ! ! !

Deviny and her mom weren't just mother and daughter, they were also best friends.

She gave Deviny expensive gifts, including a computer and an iPhone. She bought her three dogs, two cats, two chickens and two bunny rabbits. She took her on exotic birthday trips.

"I gave her everything she wanted," Boese said. "I'm glad I spoiled her."

Boese called her daughter "wild," but not in a bad way. She loved adventure.
"She always used to say, 'Go fast,' " her mom recalled.

Boese knew Deviny had gone boating with Sarah,
but she wasn't familiar with the two boys. Her daughter had lots of friends.

In my opinion:

She ( Mother Boese ) let her daughter go boating with an
under aged, inexperienced child, driving the boat.

The girls death is the result of giving the child everything she wanted,
and not checking on who she is running with, or what she is doing.

She just turned her daughter loose,
to do what ever she wanted to do ! ! !

If there is fault it would be the mothers fault of the death ! ! !

Plenty of parents spoil their kids and they still turn out okay. I think the concept of spoiling children gets overplayed since often how you do it as a parent is quite subjective. I might consider myself spoiled as a child but compared to some of my neighbors then not so much. Mom not knowing the boys was a failure on her part i agree, however it's a far stretch to blame her for it because you can't really connect the fact mom knowing these boys would somehow deter stupidity. Kids do stupid stupid things, and often there is little you can do to prevent said idiotic behavior.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
Absolutely.

"but she wasn't familiar with the two boys"

Are you kidding me? I can see that happening in college or after. However my 15 year old.....is not getting on a boat with people I don't know.

What a perfect example of what spoiling your kid can result in.
They didn't get on a boat however. They were being towed behind the boat in a simple bit of teenage stupidity which was the result of them all swimming together and the one teen deciding to use his parents boat to enhance that fun.

Last edited by ~HecateWhisperCat~; 07-19-2012 at 08:23 AM..

Old 07-19-2012, 08:47 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,757,722 times
Are you kidding me? A girl is dead and you are all arguing over what you speculate happened and who is at fault. Priorities people. Its none of our business and it will be handled by the authorities. Right now all you should care about is that a mother has to bury her child...no one should ever have to go through that.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingomo View Post
Are you kidding me? A girl is dead and you are all arguing over what you speculate happened and who is at fault. Priorities people. Its none of our business and it will be handled by the authorities. Right now all you should care about is that a mother has to bury her child...no one should ever have to go through that.
I agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting