Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 10:41 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
She is very very fair , very blonde with very light blue eyes so I'm extra careful about the sun.

I'm going to talk to the pedi on Monday, I'll ask about the sun thing for sure.
Good job. Talk with him and see what he says. I had a sneaking suspicion she was blonde/blue eyed. While a true sun allergy isn't common there is such a thing as getting sick from being out in the sun. We have a problem with it in my family and we're all blonde/blue eyed/fair skin. Nausea, headaches, feeling generally awful. And it doesn't happen all the time. It the old days they called it "getting too much sun".

I got a terrific case of sun poisoning in the South Pacific and spent a miserable flight coming home. (Maybe it's the angle of the sun and its rays? It tends to creep up because it's so pleasant to be in the sun there. We had a local doctor come to where we were staying I was so ill. He took one look at my vomiting self and said, "Blonde lady you have too much sun.") This is not your fault. It's just something to be aware of since she's so fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 03:50 PM

530 posts, read 1,163,637 times
I would ask the doctor for a RAST (blood) test. Years ago a well-known allergist told me that she considered this to be a more accurate test for food allergies than the skin tests, which are often used for environmental allergies. My daughter's skin tests were not entirely accurate when it came to foods, but her RAST tests seemed to be correct. You can get a RAST test for all the major food allergens. I am not sure if you can get it for bananas, but a full screen of whatever they can test may be in order.

I would also ask about FPIES, which can cause vomiting after eating certain trigger foods:

Food Protein Induced Enterocolitis Syndrome
Other Food Disorders - FAAN

It may be a good idea to keep an eye out for latex allergies and sensitivities to foods with chemical similarities to bananas, like avocados, passion fruit and kiwis. My daughter's latex allergy developed a little more slowly than her other allergies, so it may not be obvious if it is a problem right away. Also one of these other similar foods could have caused the problem in your third incident.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:53 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
It doesn't sound as though the allergist has answered your questions sufficiently. My suggestion would be to either make another appointment, and go armed with a list of questions, or, get a second opinion.

General information for Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellar View Post
It may be a good idea to keep an eye out for latex allergies and sensitivities to foods with chemical similarities to bananas, like avocados, passion fruit and kiwis. My daughter's latex allergy developed a little more slowly than her other allergies, so it may not be obvious if it is a problem right away. Also one of these other similar foods could have caused the problem in your third incident.
I absolutely second this. Latex-Fruit Syndrome should be ruled out.

Latex-Fruit Syndrome and Class 2 Food Allergy

Isolation and characterization of major ban... [Clin Exp Allergy. 1999] - PubMed - NCBI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting