U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 10:42 AM

15,363 posts, read 16,970,423 times

Advertisements

The OP on this is from 2006
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 08:12 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,778,323 times
It's still a good subject though, and others may have the same question...

My husband moved around alot as a child (military family), and he hated it. He, and his siblings, finally refused to move (they were all in HS at that time)... they told their father that he could move, but they were staying where they were. He refused to consider the military as a career when we got together because he didn't want his children uprooted so much.

I only moved once (in the 3rd grade)... I thought it was a fine adventure. My sister put my parents through hell for moving her (she was in the 5th grade).

My own children moved once (6th grader, 4th grader, kindergartener). The oldest hated it and never adjusted well, the middle child blossomed and has become an amazing young man, the youngest doesn't really remember any place but here anyway.

I think it depends on the age of the child, the school (and peers) they are trying to become part of, the support they receive from family, and their personality. A child that likes adventure will adjust more readily than one that lives for regularity.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:04 PM

24,869 posts, read 59,994,595 times
We moved form CA to a place where pretty much all of the kids had grown up together. It was tough for them at first, but there were eventually accepted. Still there are lingering issues at times. Where we live a large number of kids grow up and cannot wait to move away fomr that lame place. Then when they have kids, they realize what a great place it is for kids and they come back. we know of literally hundreds who have done this. The kids come up through school together from Kindergarten and know everything about each other. A newcomer is a novelty at first and gets a lot of attention. The first kids to approach them were probelm kids. The ones with no friends for a reason. they see a chance to make a friend who does not know what a jerk they were int he past, or how many times they have been in trouble. Eventuyally they will make friends with the more mainstream kids. Our older kids never fully got "In" You are just not going to be fully part of and equal to 12 year friendships in a matter of a couple of years. They made good friends, but there was always a difference, a distance - hard to describe. They were 14 when we moved. The younger ones did better and the one who was just starting Kindergarten when we moved is as "in" as any of the kids.

One problem we had with the older kids is when they made new friends, other kids from the same circle of friends becasme jealous and ended up hating them for no reason at all. "you are stealing my attention" I guess.

It aslo hurt that our older kids were a little bit shy. Shy is frequently seen as snobby in high school (actually pretty much everywhere). It took a while for people to figure out they were not snobby, just a touch shy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or