Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 12:55 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

WHY ARE TEENAGE GIRLS HARDER TO RAISE THEN TEENAGE BOYS?

I thought this article was interesting. I've heard the sentiment that girls, specifically teenage girls, are 'harder' or more trouble to raise than teenage boys.

Obviously, factoring in individual differences, I think this is primarily because boys and girls are raised differently. I disagree that boys need less emotional support or whatever, speaking for myself being a teenager is a tumultuous and difficult time for anybody. Anyway, I think it's just the fact that many parents are more protective of their daughters, don't want them to date.etc, are more wary of 'bad influences' and stuff, that's why they see it as more of a 'challenge' because they're keeping them in a smaller box? Would you agree with this sentiment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 05:10 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Oh lord one of 'those' articles again. Just like the one claiming 'french mothers are superior . What we have here is a mother who raised 2 daughters and is putting her personal experience raising them as the norm with teens. Believe me just as many boys are obsessed with their appearance, drama queens *on in their case kings i guess *,they whine just like everyone else, and get obsessive over stuff. The article frankly is sexist really to both genders. One in making girls out to be the terror among terrors to raise. And 2 making boys out to be as she said 'simple creatures' . The fact is each parent will have a different experience with each gender they raise.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:46 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
I've done boys and now I'm doing girls. With both, I'm finding the level of difficulty is linked to the crowd they run with. I've had one of each get in with the wrong crowd and they're both hell on wheels when that happens. I think parents worry more about girls because they see them as weaker and they can end up pregnant.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:59 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I've done boys and now I'm doing girls. With both, I'm finding the level of difficulty is linked to the crowd they run with. I've had one of each get in with the wrong crowd and they're both hell on wheels when that happens. I think parents worry more about girls because they see them as weaker and they can end up pregnant.
Definitely, I think guys/girls in the 'popular' crowd are fretted over more, because they're more likely to be into underage drinking, drugs, sex and other risky behaviour. Us 'nerdy' types, on the other hand, fly under the radar. There are advantages having that geeky image with parents, we can do all the same stuff and the parents never suspect a thing. Not that I was like that in school, I was a good boy.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:24 AM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
"Are girls 'harder' to raise than boys because they are kept on shorter 'leashes'?"

Generalize much?

Old 07-25-2012, 07:07 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
"Are girls 'harder' to raise than boys because they are kept on shorter 'leashes'?"

Generalize much?

Old 07-25-2012, 08:47 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I read something like that (didn't read the link, mind you), in a parenting book. I thought about my upbringing vs my brother's. I was expected to account for every minute in my life. If I went to a movie, I was expected back home within about an hour of the movie's end. My bro, OTOH, didn't really have to account for the time he spent away from home at all. I think there's some truth to it, but you can't make blanket statements.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:50 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,128 times
I'm pretty equal opportunity. How much trust and freedom my kids get at any given age is going to depend on their behavior, not their gender. Gender stereotypes are never going to die if people keep perpetuating them.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:54 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
This type of thinking can lead to giving teenage boys more freedom than most can handle responsibly. Both genders need present parents.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:09 AM

331 posts, read 603,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
WHY ARE TEENAGE GIRLS HARDER TO RAISE THEN TEENAGE BOYS?

I thought this article was interesting. I've heard the sentiment that girls, specifically teenage girls, are 'harder' or more trouble to raise than teenage boys.

Obviously, factoring in individual differences, I think this is primarily because boys and girls are raised differently. I disagree that boys need less emotional support or whatever, speaking for myself being a teenager is a tumultuous and difficult time for anybody. Anyway, I think it's just the fact that many parents are more protective of their daughters, don't want them to date.etc, are more wary of 'bad influences' and stuff, that's why they see it as more of a 'challenge' because they're keeping them in a smaller box? Would you agree with this sentiment?

^^^^ The article made me laugh, agree...then disagree and bother me, in a cycle. While I understand she was giving her "humble opinion", and did have some truth to some of the moods, arguements, etc. of girls...I believe there is a HUGE thing she missed about raising boys into men- They go through the emotional strains too, they need/desire support in that area as well. Boys are NOT simple, by any means, nor easy!! This lady, although she was generally funny and honest with her opinions/experiences, she has two girls....she hasn't raised boys in order to make any "real" comparisons!! I also believe, as many others have stated, that you can't "blanket" statements. How girls..& boys treat their parent(s), others and how they deal with life, growing up and all the changes depends on how they were raised, how their parent(s) treated them, the things they were able/allowed to experience, religious background, responsibilities, etc.
My kids talk to me...about sooo many things going on in and around them, as well as the neighborhood kids, ie; feelings, difficult situations, relationships, frustrations, school, sports, etc. I enjoy being the one they (including my own) all feel comfortable talking with. I don't allow certain topics, with other people's kids, but I will listen and try my best to give positive advice and lead in a good direction(when asked for my opinion, of course) otherwise I am all ears, b/c at the end of the day, most young/growing adults are capable of figuring out what they should/need to do, they just need to talk it out, outloud, and need someone to listen, not intercede all the time!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting