Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 09:12 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I first heard Madonna when I was in elementary school. I think it was "Lucky Star" in third grade. Remember her giant boob cones and the Blonde Ambition tour? "Papa Don't Preach"? George Michael's "I Want Your Sex," Frankie Goes to Hollywood's "Relax" ... all that stuff. This was 20 to 30 years ago, and I turned out (mostly ) okay. I also survived heavy metal, classic rock, hair bands, punk, grunge, goth, rap, reggae, and college.

Parental involvement is key.
I had a shirt with Relax on it in big letters. Until now (just googled it) I had no idea what that song was about! Apparently, neither did my parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 09:56 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Didn't we have a thread about this same topic just last week?

Many artists through the ages have been considered provocative, obscene, gauche from Mozart, Reubens, Elvis, Ma Rainey on. It's all relative to the time.

I have always talked to my kids about such things, the difference between singular talents, and being wholly admirable. It's really not a difficult concept for young people to grasp. A good example is Chris Brown. I have talked at length about the fact that he is a talented musician, and a scum bag.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:25 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
At least one person gets it. Everyone keeps saying I'm crazy when I talk about how over exposed our kids are to sex.
I think the vast majority of parents "get it". Why you are running into all these naive people is unclear.

What is also unclear is why you post so many links. You continue to express shock over what is available on line yet you provide a handy one-click link direct to what you claim to find so horrifying and corrupting. (The thread is about role models for young girls and your latest link was to something else entirely.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 08-05-2012 at 10:41 AM..

Old 08-05-2012, 11:13 AM

994 posts, read 1,592,320 times
Well, the parent is the one responsable for ensuring that kids in general are taught the right thing. It's not society's job to take over for a parent. I do agree that there's a lot of trash on the TV and online in general. One way to deal with it is to tell your kids not to watch it or look for it. That's the best way to teach kids what is good and what is bad.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:00 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,526,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Kim Kardashian not withstanding - I think she's a bit of an anomaly - there are a lot of things achieved by Lady GaGa, Rhiana and Sarah Jessica Parker et al worth emulating.

It takes a lot of hard hard work, focus and dedication to get where these ladies have gotten. You need to be a strong, independent self starter to achieve success in those fields. You need self confidence and drive.

Sometimes, you have to pick yourself up after devastating disappointments, and you need to remain gracious in the face of public scrutiny.

They often go on to give a lot of themselves and get heavily involved in philanthropic pursuits.

I don't see anything wrong with those qualities.

As far as "incitements to promiscuity" - pop music, even blues and jazz - has always always had that element. I actually think it's a bit tamer that it was in the 70's. I don't think kids are that stupid that they take it literally - especially if you've already instilled good self respect in them as children.

I also think Lady GaGa, especially, has achieved many great things and although she is a bit out there, there are a lot of things in her that I would love for my daughter to strive to be. I watched a special on Oprah's network about her and she honestly is an amazing young woman. She tells young people to be amazed in who you are and love who you are. I had no idea she went through so many tough times as a young person in school, being teased and bullied, but she didn't change who she was in order to get along.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:08 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
And again that is due to parents allowing it.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:10 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
Oh you have kids? I didn't realize that.
No more than you do when you make all your far reaching posts about locking kids up to protect them. However helping raise my 9 year old sister, and being a mentor to teen girls gives me a unique perspective on things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting