Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2012, 09:56 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
The OP has been married to the kid's father for a month.
Really, that's all! Ok, well, I retract that statement...I guess she DID know what she was getting into!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 10:03 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Excellent point. I do think if mom and dad can't get on the same page as far as supervision and discipline, then she needs to be with the parent who is going to do the job. The question is how to get her there. Do they drag her kicking and screaming and hope that her resentment and hatred over that go away? I do believe that under the circumstances, and with a good lawyer, if the dad really wanted full custody he has a chance to get it. But he has to want it, and once he gets it, he AND his wife would have to be fully committed to this child. I would say the new wife's attitude would definitely need to change at that point, or she would have to decide if her marriage was worth all this trouble. Because it would definitely NOT be happily ever after at that point.
Yeah, I totally agree, but I don't think by the sounds of it full custody is an option. He has 50%, and he's got to do the best he can with that.

They've tried integrating her into the new home with the OP, that doesn't seem to work at all, not surprisingly. So it's come down to him not spending any time with her at all. I actually believe he wants to, and doesn't want to give up, but now he's caught between a rock and a hard place - with a new wife who wants peace and harmony, and a child who needs his undivided attention. And by attention I don't mean cave into her every desire, I mean clamp down and start steering her in the right direction.

The main focus I reckon should be getting his ex wife and himself on the same page. The OP is correct that it's a tough uphill battle if the mother keeps undoing the father's best attempts at reversal.

I have grave fears for the happily ever after - the kid's only going to get worse, and the dad's only going to get more guilty as things get more out of hand. It would be in the OP's best interest to support her husband fully in taking control of the daughter, even if it means she has to step back and give him up a couple of weeks out of the month.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:34 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
You don't see namecalling? Wow. Venting over what is no doubt a frustrating situation is understandable. The OP does not present as a concerned adult in a troubled child's life but as a woman annoyed at the inconveniece of dealing with a situation she entered of her own volition.
She seems frustrated and at the end of her rope. No, I have not seen "name calling".

Old 07-28-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
I didn't get the impression that she wants the child to fade away. It sounded to me like she was concerned that father and daughter weren't speaking, that daughter was not visiting, and wanted advice on what could be done to mend the relationship between father and daughter. That hardly sounds like a person who wants the child to fade away. Clearly, she is annoyed and frustrated with the kid's behavior, and happier without her around, but if she honestly didn't want to be bothered with her I don't see her coming here asking in help for getting the child to visit more or spend more time with her dad.
This was my take on it all too.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I'm not seeing concern for the daughter. Only the daughter's effect on her husband's happiness.
You've ignored a whole lot of other things in her posts and you know it.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:45 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
You've ignored a whole lot of other things in her posts and you know it.
I'm not "ignoring" anything. There's no sense in quoting every single thing she's said. I was responding to a specific thing so found the first quote that has me believing as I do. It's not a conspiracy. Now, if you'd like to find something that supports she is concerned for this child simply because she's a child who, for any number of reasons, has some serious issues, that need serious and immediate attention, then feel free. It's certainly possible I missed it.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:01 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel&Steven6712 View Post
Hubby's daughter "Z" is 13. She's is a below average student who was held back a grade so she's only going into 8th this year.
I just realized this fact, doesn't add up. 12 years old in 8th grade are not the norm. Sounds like the age/grade "facts" are out of whack.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:08 AM

93 posts, read 156,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I just realized this fact, doesn't add up. 12 years old in 8th grade are not the norm. Sounds like the age/grade "facts" are out of whack.
She isn't 12, she'll be turning 14 in 2 weeks

Old 07-28-2012, 11:16 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel&Steven6712 View Post
She isn't 12, she'll be turning 14 in 2 weeks
I know that. You said she was a below average student who had had been held back a year, and yet she's 13, nearly 14 going into 8th, that's on par.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:26 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,121 times
Am I reading the same thing?

The woman said, in the very first post, that she was trying to find a way for the husband to IMPROVE his relationship with his daughter, and she asked for advice. How did that morph into she wants the kid to go away? She SAID she didn't think it was right for him to not see his daughter even though the kid is a holy terror and she wanted to know if anyone could think of some way to get the ball rolling again.

All the "we're happy and want to stay that way" talk was in response to the idea that they move apart now that they are married.

It feels like she is being punished for daring to speak ill of a kid who is pretty difficult to like. Clearly, she wants the husband to KEEP TRYING with this child, that's why she is here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting