Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 06:41 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,077 times

Advertisements

Saw a couple of young mothers today who appeared single with bi-racial babies- beautiful children- they are to be supported and loved- these will become our finest citizens - the best of both races and worlds....It does not matter how these kids got here- I would say they are GOD's gift....A man should be proud to raise one of these citizens of the future...there will be more and more in the future- It will be up to us if these new ones will be a blessing or a curse...I say- blessing.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:45 PM

506 posts, read 1,160,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Saw a couple of young mothers today who appeared single with bi-racial babies- beautiful children- they are to be supported and loved- these will become our finest citizens - the best of both races and worlds....It does not matter how these kids got here- I would say they are GOD's gift....A man should be proud to raise one of these citizens of the future...there will be more and more in the future- It will be up to us if these new ones will be a blessing or a curse...I say- blessing.
The question is, why are these young women so stupid to have children with such irresponsible men, especially if these men are black because of the obvious societal stigma attached to it.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:48 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,845,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset2000 View Post
That's very racist and politically incorrect thing to say.
It's racist to acknowledge that there are groups of black men that tend to disappear after making children? If you look at the statistics of single mom's a lot are African-American women. And the OP's situation (a single white mom of biracial child) is common as well. What conclusion would you draw? I'm a woman of color BTW and my "so" is also a man of color, so I'm not saying all black men are this way. I'm only saying that the OP needs to be careful about the type of men she chooses to settle down with.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
It's racist to acknowledge that there are groups of black men that tend to disappear after making children? If you look at the statistics of single mom's a lot are African-American women. And the OP's situation (a single white mom of biracial child) is common as well. What conclusion would you draw? I'm a woman of color BTW and my "so" is also a man of color, so I'm not saying all black men are this way. I'm only saying that the OP needs to be careful about the type of men she chooses to settle down with.
Why don't you try to be with college educated white or Asian man? Chances are slim that they will be irresponsible fathers.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:55 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,791,872 times
I have noticed since Obama took office the race rants and silliness have ramped up 100%.
Having a man of color as the President of our Great States should have evoked unity but it appears otherwise.

Why would any adult with common sense possess bigot overtones and beliefs??
Coming from a family of bigots, I know well educated affluent Men and Women can be ignorant imbeciles.

I'm least worried of a Black man taking my vehicle and wallet but moreso of a white men swindling my retirement, pension, infringing on my privacy, feeding children/women FDA approved HARMFUL medications and foods.

Now if I were ignorant who should I project my racist/prejudice views toward?

OP worry about the Micro aspects of life and relations (mental stability) next, address the Macro (companions). Date whomever you want!

Old 08-01-2012, 07:01 PM

13,414 posts, read 9,945,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I am a mother of a biracial child. I made sure she had role models who were of similar racial backgrounds who would help her deal with being multiracial. Therefore it was a non-issue that her stepfather was just white.

As for all of this "we are the world" bologna, racism exists. It is surely much less than it has been in the past but that does not mean that children who are biracial, multiracial, etc do not experience racism, and frequently a unique form of it. My daughter has on many occasions had people tell her or even argue with her about what racial and ethnic mix she is. Because it is hard to tell what her make up is, she had frequently been the target or racism directed at groups she isn't even a member of.
I'm not at all trying to negate your experiences, just want to get that straight first up.

I find it appalling because there is not one white male that I'm friends with (which means enough to know their minds about things) that would not date a woman because her child was biracial. (Maybe they wouldn't date a woman with a child, but that's not the same thing). Not one. Thank God.

I'm not saying kids don't experience racism, but I must live in a bubble somewhere if it's a reality for people that MOST white men would reject a biracial child.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Good, they probably shouldn't be. Not good for either them or the single mom, or the kid, generally. (Not always. Generally. There are probably exceptions).

Nobody should be "playing" daddy to anybody.

Yes most 22/25 year old men aren't interested in being role models for toddlers. Most are not capable of being role models to toddlers. (Most, not all). But you find the reality is that they aren't interested in said toddlers because they're black or biracial? Really? Who cares? You know actual men that care about that? That's mind boggling to me.

That's all they can get? Wot?

But it is somewhat "off her radar" because she's had a biracial child? That some man eventually may fall in love with her but she'll be SOL because her child is biracial? That's your reality? Where is this occurring?

That is a smart idea. I don't get the rest of it. Sorry for all the questions, but I seriously think it's sick in this day and age that little tiny kids are judged on their racial makeup (or presumed judged). It's appalling.
Reread what I wrote. I said the young white single mom's that I personally know that have biracial children that ended up settling down with black men either A) just liked black men and that is who they continued to date. B)Said that they met white guys that were weird about them having a "black" child. C)Implied that they felt her chances were limited in terms of dating other men because of the way they felt people would look at their child and previous dating experiences. Who know's if this is true for every woman, since I haven't met every woman with biracial children. A majority of the time when I see a white woman with a biracial child, she is with a black man(whether it is some new guy she is dating, a guy she remarried, or the original father) so my conclusion is for whatever reason most of these women are continuing or settling with black men that look similar to their children.

And I might be biased a bit, because I'm drawing off the experiences I have off the young white males that I grew up with. I know a good portion of them would have been put off by it, and this is from conversations had and whatnot. And I didn't say it was completely off her radar, I said that it isn't so "off" the radar(meaning it's a possibility). And I'm not the only who said it. There were others in this thread that alluded to the same things(that there are groups of white men that would be opposed to it).

And my child is mixed. I can't imagine judging a child based on it either, but I know it happens and have seen it and heard it plenty of times. I have biracial cousins that will never know their "white grandparents" because the moment their mother had kids with a black man, the mother disowned her and wanted nothing to do with the kids, simply because they looked black.

Last edited by sunkisses87; 08-01-2012 at 07:37 PM..

Old 08-01-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I'm not at all trying to negate your experiences, just want to get that straight first up.

I find it appalling because there is not one white male that I'm friends with (which means enough to know their minds about things) that would not date a woman because her child was biracial. (Maybe they wouldn't date a woman with a child, but that's not the same thing). Not one. Thank God.

I'm not saying kids don't experience racism, but I must live in a bubble somewhere if it's a reality for people that MOST white men would reject a biracial child.
Yeah, you live in a bubble.

What "city" do you live?

Old 08-01-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Why don't you try to be with college educated white or Asian man? Chances are slim that they will be irresponsible fathers.
Huh? My "so" is a responsible father and is college educated and he isn't white or asian.

I'm talking about the OP. I think if she likes black men then she should continue to date them, just make sure that she is not dating bummy guys. A lot of the black women that I know of(family, friends, associates) that ended up becoming single mom's were dating certain black men(thuggish tendencies, bum, criminal, already had children with other women that they weren't taken care of, etc) and that is how they ended up being single moms. They didn't make the best decisions on who they had children with. And sometimes they continued making the same bad decisions in other relationships, with children involved.

I don't know the OP's background, because there could be other reasons this guy bailed on her during the pregnancy, but she does need to make sure that if she's introducing men to her child that they are going to stick around. And really this goes for any man(does not matter the racial background) she dates whether he is purple, or brown.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:21 PM

13,414 posts, read 9,945,815 times
Quote:
Yeah, you live in a bubble.

What "city" do you live?
Philly, the last two years or so. Before that LA, London, and Sydney. I'm in the music business too, so double bubble.

I get what you're saying. I just don't get why people are still like that. I don't experience it so I find it shocking. I really do. Not trying to be facetious. People that are like that wouldn't last long in my orbit, that's for sure. Jeez. It really pisses me off, frankly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting