Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 08:15 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Addiction is classified as a disease mostly because that's the only way you can get someone to pay for the treatment.
Follow the money on that one.
Disease is something you get without trying to get it. Addiction is an injury not a disease..It is a self inflicted injury. Any doctor that wants to "treat" a self inflicted injury and be paid for it- is a weasel...Because they know that the wound once healed with be re-opened by the "patient" and will have to be re-treated over and over again...A true healer would say- "II can stitch you up once...but I refuse to do it again and again if you insist on pulling out the stitches.

The only one that can heal an addiction is the addict. He or she has to make the firm decision and say...I have decided that I no longer will continue to injure myself...look at the common drunk...who has a horrific hangover....and then takes a drink. Why the hell would you hit yourself on the head with a hammer twice...once would be enough to understand not to do it again...If I feel injured from substance use...I put down the substance or the bottle and allow the healing process to take place...

Why would I run to a doctor who is in the practice of healing the helpless if I can help myself? Those that say- I can not help myself....do not want to help themselves...and expect other to help them, are looking for someone else to made a decision for them.. The defies logic...and YOU know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 08:18 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
We have no clue if others are afraid to admit such thoughts or beliefs.
Your hypothesis is bunk. The reason no one agrees with you is because they don't share your opinion, not because they are "afraid to admit such thoughts". Are there any books, research papers, even any blogs that support this view?

Quote:
Does your hypeman follow behind each post to label them gems for free?
Idiotic.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:31 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:

Does your hypeman follow behind each post to label them gems for free?
Dude. I'm the president of her fan club.

(Some of us appreciate quick wit, sly wryness and laser-focus intelligence. )

Though your attempt at a put-down is noted. I've collected both "buttercup" and "hyperman" in less than a week. Surely there's a prize for that? Maybe a cool code ring that I can wear and show off to my friends?

Last edited by DewDropInn; 08-07-2012 at 08:54 AM..

Old 08-07-2012, 08:50 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Quote:
I have stumbled across many threads which children have ushered unsavory situations.

I am curious those leading to heated debates between parents that eventually lead to
seperation or chants of Divorce.

CD, Can Children Cause Divorce?
No. Children can not "cause" divorce.

Some of them might TRY, but ultimately, it is adults who allow it to happen. In many families, you have one parent who is the "softie" and one who is the "tough love" parent. Children quickly discover which role each adult plays and many of them are quite good at using that to (what they perceive as) their advantage. Only a weak parent (adult) would allow a child to destroy their marriage. If your marriage is strong enough, and you and your mate are communicating and working out issues TOGETHER, even the most headstrong and manipulative child can't break that bond. Actually, that bond can become even stronger.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:58 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Your hypothesis is bunk. The reason no one agrees with you is because they don't share your opinion, not because they are "afraid to admit such thoughts". Are there any books, research papers, even any blogs that support this view?

Idiotic.
I am not attempting to get anyone to agree. It is all merely a question not a statement.
I generally don't consider blogs as good reference points however the question come on a few times
"Could people be afraid to admit...."

Bunk better yet futile would be utilizing your childhood hiccups with your parents as some essential factor.

Honestly it's all a debate and I appreciate the input.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:00 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Quote:
I wonder if people are to afraid to admit children can be a driving force to divorce.
If there are factors that drive people to do certain things why are children off bounds as to divorce?
No, people are not "afraid" to admit something like that. Why would they admit to something that is an absolute lie? Why blame a child? Why not simply accept the fact that one of the parents simply chose to give up? Why not simply accept the fact that some people simply choose the whims and wishes of a child, over that of their spouse. Why not simply admit that sometimes, you don't know who you married, until a child comes into the picture!? When a child enters the picture, you become a DIFFERENT person. You're not longer John & Mary....you're mom & dad. Some people really stink when it comes to being a real team...a team that is able to work together in the best interest of that child? It is NEVER a child's fault. They just become the scapegoat.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:05 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,792,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Dude. I'm the president of her fan club.

(Some of us appreciate quick wit, sly wryness and laser-focus intelligence. )

Though your attempt at a put-down is noted. I've collected both "buttercup" and "hyperman" in less than a week. Surely there's a prize for that? Maybe a cool code ring that I can wear and show off to my friends?
I'm sure each of us should possess a Code ring of some sort according to CD Mods and members.
Possibly at the end of the year we should award them out.

Last edited by SPECFRCE; 08-07-2012 at 09:13 AM..

Old 08-07-2012, 06:20 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes -- I think even cats can cause a divorce. I knew a couple where she had one cat before they married. The husband was quite allergic to cats. She felt she had her cat before she had her husband so the cat was staying. Then she got another cat and then another and he was completely miserable with allergies and it led to them divorcing.

She got custody of the three cats and also the kids -- they were allergic to the cats also but not as bad. She said the same thing -- she had cats before she had kids so the cats were staying.

Second marriages with kids involved have a high rate of failure, children are just another stress on a relationship, it's not just about two people getting along anymore, it's two people plus however many children there are and if there are two sets of children, how well they all get along.
That would be the fault of the wife for bringing home a second cat, and the husband for marrying someone, knowing the cat was staying. The cat is innocent of any wrong doing, just like a child would be.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:40 PM

578 posts, read 1,092,566 times
Of course not - but everyone needs an excuse. Makes me sad they use their children as pawns in their marital wars.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:20 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
Bunk better yet futile would be utilizing your childhood hiccups with your parents as some essential factor.
Que?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting