Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 11:53 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,791,418 times

Advertisements

I have stumbled across many threads which children have ushered unsavory situations.

I am curious those leading to heated debates between parents that eventually lead to
seperation or chants of Divorce.

CD, Can Children Cause Divorce?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 12:04 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,555,831 times
No, children can not cause divorce. Parents inability to reach consensus on parenting issues may, although I would presume that to be merely a symptom of other issues and incompatability in general.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:14 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
Children in and of themselves do not cause divorce but the pressures of disciplining kids, finding the balance of time for family and work, two income families or even one income not being enough can surely lead to discontent in any marriage. That is why marriage and children are best undertaken by mature adults and not by kids themselves.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:09 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
No, children are not the cause of divorce. However, the stress from having a child with a disability or other issues can create a situation that can test even strong relationships. And if the relationship has issues...those issues are now quantified.

Also, parents need to be on the same page regarding discipline...if there is conflict there...the marriage is in trouble.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:34 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
No, children can not cause divorce. Parents inability to reach consensus on parenting issues may, although I would presume that to be merely a symptom of other issues and incompatability in general.
This.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:11 PM

So children can not cause a Divorce but work or money can?

I disagree! If work can cause a crack in a marriage; so can children. Some rearing techniques are deal breakers for
certain individuals.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:24 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,444,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
This is my thought, as well.

If there are other problems in the marriage, children can become a "wedge" issue. Plus, some folks are not cut out to be parents (even though no one ever seems to admit this). Not everyone embraces the responsibility that goes along with being a decent parent.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:46 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,152,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
So children can not cause a Divorce but work or money can?

I disagree! If work can cause a crack in a marriage; so can children. Some rearing techniques are deal breakers for
certain individuals.

Then why'd you ask?

Who says work can cause a divorce? If a person puts too much priority on work, and not enough on his or her relationship at home, that's the fault of the person, not the job. Really, anything that you could point to that could "cause" a divorce would still come back to the 2 people in the marriage and how they deal with it.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
This is my thought, as well.

If there are other problems in the marriage, children can become a "wedge" issue. Plus, some folks are not cut out to be parents (even though no one ever seems to admit this). Not everyone embraces the responsibility that goes along with being a decent parent.
I agree with highlighted portion of your post. I do not think it is negative to say or admit people are not cut out to be parents. I believe it to be like any skilled job (so to speak) it is challenging and exhausting.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:50 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
I agree with highlighted portion of your post. I do not think it is negative to say or admit people are not cut out to be parents. I believe it to be like any skilled job (so to speak) it is challenging and exhausting.
Of course - but that is not the child's fault. The CHILD didn't cause the problem, the adults not agreeing on parenting caused the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting