Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 09:46 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post

Yes, the older one takes advantage.
Who picks where you eat?

Not all places have a special rootbeer. If money is a problem you don't go to the places that have a special rootbeer. You go to the place that has generic rootbeers and free refills. I'd stress that to grandma. If it's not on the menu, they can't order it.

Most places have paper menus available. Start collecting them and give them to Grandma to keep so she has an idea going in how much the tab is going to run. She can also speak up and say, "We're going to X".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 09:50 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
To me, a growing boy is 12. If this guy is 19 and ordering multiple items off the menu when someone treats him to a meal, it's rude. I don't see it as your mother's place to limit him. At 19, he should be gracious for the treat and should self-impose limits on himself if someone is picking up the tab.

If your mother pays for it and lets him do that, there's no much you can do. Your mother is complaining about overspending and you have given her a solution to that. That she chooses not to take it is on her. It's all about what you can do versus what you will do.
That's one of the most farcical things I have ever read on here. If anyone's on a budget, they should not be allowed to treat other people.

If you treat someone, you treat them to the fullest without imposing limits. There's the added risk of being taken advantage of, and that's part of the whole deal about treating a family member.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:52 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Who picks where you eat?

Not all places have a special rootbeer. If money is a problem you don't go to the places that have a special rootbeer. You go to the place that has generic rootbeers and free refills. I'd stress that to grandma. If it's not on the menu, they can't order it.

Most places have paper menus available. Start collecting them and give them to Grandma to keep so she has an idea going in how much the tab is going to run. She can also speak up and say, "We're going to X".
My mother always asks the kids where they wanna eat, but lets the little one have the final say. The older one always manipulates (?) his little brother into choosing the place HE wants. Nice, huh?

Old 08-06-2012, 09:55 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
That's one of the most farcical things I have ever read on here. If anyone's on a budget, they should not be allowed to treat other people.

If you treat someone, you treat them to the fullest without imposing limits. There's the added risk of being taken advantage of, and that's part of the whole deal about treating a family member.
Sorry, but this is bunk. Most sane people set limits when eating out with kids.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:56 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post

This ^^^. Plus most respectful people would impose limits on what they order. If smeone treats me, I'm not gonna order a ton of food just because the meal is on them.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:00 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
We set limits. From the time they were small they were taught how to read a menu and that included the prices. There would be times, obviously, they wanted a particular thing they knew was expensive and they'd ask if they could have it. They also did that with their grandparents. And there were times we were celebrating something and everyone went in knowing they could order whatever they wanted.

By the time they hit your son's age we pretty much zeroed in on the all-you-can-eat places.

The Sizzler never made a profit off us.
Oh they did .

Old 08-06-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Hospitality.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:13 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post

Hogwash. You set limits beginning when the children are young, and save them making faux pas when they are older. If your boss takes you to dinner, I would not recommend scouting out the most expensive thing you can find on the menu. You take your cue from the host. If he or she says, "order whatever you would like", you STILL shouldn't order the surf and turf.

We usually let our kids order according to their likes, within reason. A restaurant is not the place to ask to try the lobster, only to decide you don't like it.

Back to the OP, that 19 yr old sounds like a self entitled brat. Grandma would be doing him a favor by setting limits.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:15 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Just curious - how often is she doing this and... does she pay for you too?

At the end of the day, yes, he's being rude as he's old enough to know better - you would hope. But, if she's been doing this for quite some time and she's always allowed him to pick whatever he wanted, she has set a precedence. And it doesn't sound like her only option to to take them out to eat in order to see them - you said she just doesn't want to cook for them at home.

She's a grown woman who doesn't know how to properly budget when she needs to and set limits even for herself. So she's not setting a great example for the 19 year old.

She need to stop asking where they want to go. If she doesn't want to cook and eating out is the only option then she picks where she can afford. And if someone orders over her budget then she needs to speak up! Good grief. She shouldn't feel guilty if he goes home and then eats more - isn't that what they all do anyway at that age? My 18 year old can eat a full meal, then an hour later make himself and sandwich, then after that have a bowl of cereal.

Does this 19 year old not work and earn any of his own money so that he can learn the value of a dollar?

Old 08-06-2012, 10:23 AM

No debate with you lovely ladies

My grandmother spoiled me. Spoiled me real bad.

I'm 32 now and I'm not blasting my boss' wallet/purse when I get treated by him/her.

Has also helped me become a very generous host.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting