Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 07:21 AM

105 posts, read 106,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003 View Post
Yes we have busses. They do not go to the schools except high schools. Bus fare would cost me roughly $120 a month and then we would have a 3-5 block walk. That being said, most of the schools are closed to transfers due to budget cuts. Last year his school had to let go 4 teachers and this year at registration they said they were having to let 5 go. My only other option is to homeschool which would be nearly impossible now as I hope to find a full time job soon. He quit tae kwon do, scouts is free, and most of what we do is free. Everything I had left over went to buying his school uniforms.
Wait, but didn't you just say you all went on a 5 mile hike? Now you're worried about a 3-5 block walk? I suggest you write things you say down on paper so you don't keep contradicting yourself. At least you would sound more credible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by operaphantom2003
Ha ha....we actually went to the store for back to school shopping, went on a 5 mile hike, and had a picnic. He talks where ever he goes and through whatever he's doing unless he really has to be quiet. He gets out several hours every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 07:26 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
What about the rights of the students who operate at grade level? Don't they have a right to an education that is not dictated by the kids who are behind? Last year his class had 25 students--Reading levels: 6 were still on learning how to read on a kindergarten level, 15 were on a 1st grade level, 3 were on grade level, and 1 was above grade level. Math levels: 15 were below grade level (3 were still learning how to recognize numbers 1-25), 4 were on grade level, and 6 were above grade level (not very hard to be when you only cover up to 100 and double digit addition and subtraction).

Because so many people in the class were below grade level, the class only made it half way through their math books.

Who is fighting for the rights of the students on grade level?
Maybe if the other kids like yours, weren't so disruptive, they would have made it farther ahead.

And you said yourself, as soon as he can control himself, he will be placed in a "gifted" class.

You can help this situation and you are CHOOSING to make excuses for your son's behavior. That is not good parenting.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:33 AM

410 posts, read 1,521,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearly6 View Post
Wait, but didn't you just say you all went on a 5 mile hike? Now you're worried about a 3-5 block walk? I suggest you write things you say down on paper so you don't keep contradicting yourself. At least you would sound more credible.

A 3-5 block walk in the middle of winter IS a big deal. Especially when we don't keep walks too clean around here.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:36 AM

410 posts, read 1,521,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Maybe if the other kids like yours, weren't so disruptive, they would have made it farther ahead.

And you said yourself, as soon as he can control himself, he will be placed in a "gifted" class.

You can help this situation and you are CHOOSING to make excuses for your son's behavior. That is not good parenting.
I volunteered for the class this year. One of the main reasons they didn't make it farther ahead was because the kids were so far behind to begin with. In my opinion, kids in the second grade should know how to count by 5's and 10's, know their money, be able to read on a 2nd grade level, and should be taught some social studies. Some of these kids need to be held back until they learn the basics but the school keeps promoting them.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:40 AM

105 posts, read 106,317 times
Quote:
A 3-5 block walk in the middle of winter IS a big deal. Especially when we don't keep walks too clean around here.
Been there, done that. When my son was in kindergarten, he went to school 5 blocks away from our home. I bundled up my 3 year old and the three of us trudged through snow every morning and every day at noon. He didn't miss a day of school. We lived where the snow is deep and the winters are COLD (northern Michigan)

You do what you have to.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:43 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
Quote:
I volunteered for the class this year. One of the main reasons they didn't make it farther ahead was because the kids were so far behind to begin with. In my opinion, kids in the second grade should know how to count by 5's and 10's, know their money, be able to read on a 2nd grade level, and should be taught some social studies. Some of these kids need to be held back until they learn the basics but the school keeps promoting them.
You have an excuse for everything.

The fact you think it is acceptable for your child to be disruptive is proof positive.

And then every other post in this thread.

I hope someone teaches your child to control himself.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:47 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,756,832 times
Quote:
Sounds like an excuse IMO. I walked to a bus stop up and down a 2 block high hill with NO sidewalks in winter with the total walk being .5 a mile. It wasnt a big deal.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:14 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
What's HE said about that walk? If he really is a smart 8-year old boy who is full of energy he's going to WANT to do that walk. (Which, frankly, isn't that big a deal because the stories about people walking four miles to school up-hill in three feet of snow really are true. And your son probably eats a much better diet than those kids did.)

Think about your attitudes. Think about how often you've said, "but" or "no" or "can't" instead of "Good idea. I'll give that a try."

Old 08-14-2012, 08:44 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,870,930 times
Let's see: walk 3 blocks or have my son be recruited to join a gang and be in an unstimulating educational environment? Tough decision.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:18 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
What's HE said about that walk? If he really is a smart 8-year old boy who is full of energy he's going to WANT to do that walk. (Which, frankly, isn't that big a deal because the stories about people walking four miles to school up-hill in three feet of snow really are true. And your son probably eats a much better diet than those kids did.)

Think about your attitudes. Think about how often you've said, "but" or "no" or "can't" instead of "Good idea. I'll give that a try."
I'm beginning to notice a pattern. Every time the OP posts, she gets dozens of responds and suggestion, and to each one she has an excuse, a reason why she "can't," etc. There is no such thing as can't when it comes to your kids. You FIND a way. If she was really that concerned about her son's quality of education, the last thing you would hear is how it's all really kind of cute, the teacher's really love it, and all the kids in a gang infested school think he's popular. She would be asking for ways on how to get her kid OUT of that school, how to get him to shut his mouth when he's supposed to, how to get him into a G/T program or higher grade level so that he CAN shut his mouth once in awhile.

I remember this poster with the neglected neighbor child, and it was the same thing. I CAN'T call the police. I CAN'T talk to his parents. I CAN'T do anything. If a 3-5 block walk was all there was for my dd not to go to a school where kids are carrying razors and involved in gangs, and she was at a 7th grade level sitting in a classroom full of kids who can't read at a 2nd grade level, believe me, we would be HAPPY to make that walk every day in rain, snow, sleet, or shine. I don't get this OP at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting