Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 03:39 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
I always used "homemaker", because we all knew that I was the one holding it all together and making our house a home .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
I won't bore you with the details of the job lol, but the report is written in terms of how the person spends their time. It's a program for pre and postnatal moms. We define occupation by how the individual spends their day and not necessarily by 'paid work'.
I use "homemaker" on occasion.

However, the term I most like to use to describe myself and my role is BOSS! We eat what I cook, we wear clean clothes IF I do laundry, we live in a clean place IF I clean it (oh yes, they DO help!)...

I have a magnet 'front and center' on my fridge that says:

IF MAMA AIN'T HAPPY
AIN'T NOBODY HAPPY

And that's the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 05:31 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,138 times
Look, I just recently left my job. Now that I am not working for someone else, I am running around more than when I WAS working. I barely have time to BE at home

Old 08-09-2012, 05:40 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
I don't like any of those terms, but am okay with "homemaker." Also FWIW, I don't think "housewife" and "stay at home mom" are synonymous; you can be a "housewife" without a kid, for example. "Homemaker" at least doesn't put you in a box defined solely as a "wife" or as a "mom".

Old 08-09-2012, 07:05 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
I know. I didn't add 'domestic engineer'. The term alone gives the connotation that this individual is not particularly proud of their occupation, thus the revamping of the name. The term, itself, started out as a joke so I can't imagine anyone referring to themselves as such. Although, I could be wrong. Maybe some people do. So, which term do you prefer- in reference to yourself or others?
I didn't quit work to take care of my house or my husband. I quit work to take care of my kids, so I personally would prefer SAHM. I have seen many people on facebook and such refer to themselves as the the CEO of their household, or refer to their kids as their boss.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:06 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
or refer to their kids as their boss.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:09 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I didn't quit work to take care of my house or my husband. I quit work to take care of my kids, so I personally would prefer SAHM. I have seen many people on facebook and such refer to themselves as the the CEO of their household, or refer to their kids as their boss.
I was never the boss of my family, only the BOSS of my home.
We are all adults now and I am still the BOSS.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:38 AM

36,492 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
I won't bore you with the details of the job lol, but the report is written in terms of how the person spends their time. It's a program for pre and postnatal moms. We define occupation by how the individual spends their day and not necessarily by 'paid work'.
I see. But it all sounds like senseless paperwork. I mean if your a mom or soon to be mom and you arent employed, it obvious how your spending your time, isnt it?

Old 08-10-2012, 07:58 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
I know. I didn't add 'domestic engineer'. The term alone gives the connotation that this individual is not particularly proud of their occupation, thus the revamping of the name. The term, itself, started out as a joke so I can't imagine anyone referring to themselves as such. Although, I could be wrong. Maybe some people do. So, which term do you prefer- in reference to yourself or others?
I have several "identities" according to who I am dealing with. To some, I'm a stay at home mom, to others I'm Little Magritte's mom, then there is Mr. Magritte's wife. Of course there is also Magritte's friends who see me differently than Magritte's old coworkers.

I refer to myself, in the context of which you are speaking, as a stay at home mom because that is what I am.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:59 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,716 times
People can call me whatever they want, housewife, homemaker, stay at home mom, whatever. It's just a name. meh.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:01 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Personally I don't care what anyone calls it, but I tend to use whatever I think the other people I'm dealing with at the moment will understand. Whatever seems most appropriate for the situation. I'm a working mom now, but when I wasn't working, I used various terminology. Online, SAHM seems the best and most common way to express it. On job applications or filling out paperwork/etc. I usually put "homemaker". My husband usually uses "housewife" and that's the term we use when talking with friends over dinner or whatever. My kids call me "mom", hubby calls me by my first name.

It's strange how you don't hear people referring to dad's as "working dad's" or "work at home dad's" (WAHD's?). I have heard "stay at home dad's" (though when you just use SAHD's it sounds, well... sad.). Do people say "househusband" or "homemaker" for a dad/husband that stays home and cares for the home and children while the wife works? I don't think I've ever heard that.

True equality for men and women still has a long way to go, I suppose. Mindsets and even terminology are still evolving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting